Can it use basic, or does it use Lua, c, c++, or what. I totally just realized I have no idea where to start after I buy it tomorrow -_-
It has built in BASIC, and you can do C/C++ development for it as well. There are also a couple of projects for Lua and Python (both progressing slowly, to my knowledge).
So....theoretically I could say...run a program designed for ti83/84+ on it? Or is it true BASIC?
It is its own dialect of BASIC. You would have to port it over from the 83/84+, but they are similar enough that the learning curve isn't too high.
Adding to Merth's information:
Most of our work happens in C, and it's a short hop to C++ support from there, though most of us prefer not to use C++, so it's not well-supported right now.

BASIC on the Prizm is Casio's dialect, and it's not compatible with any other calculators. I haven't used it at all, but there's some information on our wiki.

I've been working on a Python port some, but it's rather slow going, and we've thrown around the idea of Lua but I'm not sure if anybody actually started anything.
Cool, so I could be a....PIONEER lol, but seriously, I coul learn on this thing...maybe learn to make sprites and an animation?
We have a thread here for useful Prizm routines, including sprite drawing and such.
Yaaaay
The_Coded wrote:
Yaaaay
I appreciate your enthusiasm, although I must mention that here on Cemetech, we value quality posts over a large quantity of posts. Therefore, please try to avoid making one-word posts. That said, I'll back Tari up in saying that as slow as the Python port may be going, Lua is much further behind, the idea still being on the drawing board with not a single line of code yet written.
KermMartian wrote:
The_Coded wrote:
Yaaaay
I appreciate your enthusiasm, although I must mention that here on Cemetech, we value quality posts over a large quantity of posts. Therefore, please try to avoid making one-word posts. That said, I'll back Tari up in saying that as slow as the Python port may be going, Lua is much further behind, the idea still being on the drawing board with not a single line of code yet written.
alrighty, well I'm learning Lua on my iPad so I'll see what I can do regarding the prizm and Lua. As for basic, I'm learning MiSoft, commodore, and getting ready to start visual next spring semester at college, and I figure I'm going to start learning c this semester on my own, I believe it will only do good for me in computer science, plus, who doesn't enjoy learning how to make awesome things...on a calculator at that? Graphing Calculator
For the time being, I would recommend C. Although I have quit calculator development a few years ago, I did see how slow some BASIC commands are. If you don't mind doing ASCII art graphics, then go for BASIC, though, as there are some quite cool characters available. But yea C is the most used language now.

In the future, there will most likely be Lua or LuaFX, though, and I believe Purobaz was working on an xLIB-like utility to enhance BASIC capabilities.
Well that's all super foreign to me :p. but I think c shouldn't be too hard to learn, awaaaaay I go to start learning it...after I buy my prizm of course
The_Coded wrote:
Well that's all super foreign to me :p. but I think c shouldn't be too hard to learn, awaaaaay I go to start learning it...after I buy my prizm of course
Good luck! Of course poke us with any and all questions that you have about C programming, as long as they're not something that the first result of a Google search would answer. Wink
Will do!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours