This, of course, looks great! I can't wait to play this Smile
merthsoft wrote:
This, of course, looks great! I can't wait to play this Smile

I am similarly excited! Smile
KermMartian wrote:
Very impressive progress, as expected! From a z80 programming standpoint, I'm curious how you chose to calculate, store, and render that circle so smoothly and quickly. Good luck on the level design!

Thanks Kerm! Smile

I'm not sure whether I've used the best method for the screen "masking", but I came up with the entire routine out of my own old dusty brain, so I'm happy about that Razz

The circle is 52 pixels in diameter, so as raw data it's stored as a 56x52 image (7 bytes per line x 52 lines = 364 bytes). The current method of drawing it works roughly as follows:

• Based on the player y position on screen, calculates if any full horizontal lines (12 bytes of $FF on gbuf) are required at the top / bottom of the screen.
  • For each horizontal line on gbuf that incorporates the actual circle "mask", it generates a 23 byte-long line, which consists of 8 x $FF bytes, followed by the 7 bytes (56 pixels) of correlating data from the circle image data, and followed by a further 8 x $FF bytes. Having this buffer then covers all possibilities of the player x position on screen.
  • Based on the player x position on screen, calculates which section of the 23 byte buffer is required, bit shifts that particular portion accordingly, and then applies it to the horizontal line on gbuf by "or"-ing it with each of the 12 bytes.
Oh nice, the being enshrouded in darkness could make for some interesting level sets. Smile
tifreak8x wrote:
Oh nice, the being enshrouded in darkness could make for some interesting level sets. Smile
Where by "interesting" you of course mean "deadly and frustrating," right?
Level design can get a little monotonous.. So I quickly put together a second "teaser" program/clip, just for fun and also to show off the new splash screen that will form part of the main menu Smile

Woo! \o/ Hooray for story plots Very Happy Love the title screen.
Haven't seen an update for a while--how's this going?
Love the title screen indeed; I seem to have missed seeing that when you first posted it. As Merth says, any new progress?
Yeah sorry been a bit slack with the updates, but it's still progressing Smile I've finished the layout of all 12 levels, and this week I'll be starting with placing enemies and pick up items. I'll probably post another clip later in the week showing a little of the first level Smile
How do you make the levels? Do you have a tool for it? I'd be interested in seeing that.
merthsoft wrote:
How do you make the levels? Do you have a tool for it? I'd be interested in seeing that.

Yeah I just coded a small (on-calc) level editor, nothing too fancy, just for tile placement. Then I take the tile data out of the .83p file and manually write the level header at the start of it, which contains the level size, start/finish positions, etc. and the mission objective text. Finally the levels are compressed together and then they're ready Smile

I can definitely post a clip from the level editor Smile
Sounds pretty cool! Sounds like it would be easier to use a computer tool, though.

Maybe someone awesome with experience in tools and calculator file creating on the computer could help you. Like me. Wink
Or me! Although Merth and all his free time might be the better choice. Wink
It probably would be easier with a computer tool, but I was too lazy to write one, and it's too late now haha.. But thanks anyway Smile
This I can't wait to see
Here are a couple of new clips. Nothing too fancy Smile The first clip just shows level 1 in the basic on-calc tile editor I made, and the second clip shows a bit of basic gameplay from level 1.

This I like, a lot, I wish to work a way around its basic or asm so it can be ported to Casio prizm...this is amazing..just wondering here but, did you do anything with the original alien breed series? Or just a fan that made awesome calc games that are just as worthy?
The_Coded wrote:
This I like, a lot, I wish to work a way around its basic or asm so it can be ported to Casio prizm...this is amazing..just wondering here but, did you do anything with the original alien breed series? Or just a fan that made awesome calc games that are just as worthy?

It's coded completely in Z80 assembly. I don't know much about the Prizm, but from what I understand, C is the language of choice?

I wasn't involved with the original Alien Breed series at all. It was developed by an independant software company from the UK, called Team 17. I was only 9 years old when the first Alien Breed came out - it was one of my childhood favourite games (well actually I still play it occasionally!). So yeah, just a big fan of the original series Smile

Team 17 are also releasing an iOS version of Alien Breed, which I believe comes out any day now! I'll definitely be buying it for my iPhone Smile

EDIT: here is a link to the new iOS version that Team 17 are on the verge of releasing:
http://www.team17.com/?page_id=1005
Me too! It's all 3 originals PLUS a new 4 chapter bonus campaign, with original Amiga graphics, or the option to use new iOS graphics...should be out next week. Yea c is the language of choice on prizm. I'm going to learn it, and see if I can't port that alien breed of yours over

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 7
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours