I'm probably missing something you just have to know, but the user interface is not at all obvious to me.

Problem 1: I'm at
http://www.cemetech.net/projects/basicelite/sourcecoder2.php
I click Browse, browse to my file M20083A.83A, and click Parse File. I get this output and nothing more, with no way to see the source code or start editing it that I can find:
> « Return to Project List
> File Type: TI-83 file
> Total File Size: 4554 bytes
> MATH200A
> Complete! 4339 tokens rendered in 0.238180 seconds.
(You can see the code in http://www.tc3.edu/instruct/sbrown/ti83/prog/math200a.zip if you want.)

Problem 2: When I check Optimize before clicking Parse, the token count just about doubles. Is that normal?

Problem 3: I go back and click New Project, then paste in a copy of the code from a PDF I made. (I figure that process will introduce some character errors that I can clean up.) I then click Check Syntax, and it puts : in the middles of continued lines but doesn't otherwise seem to do anything. (The colons would beak the program; for instance, one occurs in the middle of text for a Menu() item.)

Problem 4: I even tried deliberately creating bad syntax, by typing :Blah Blah at the start. Check Syntax didn't flag that as an error in any way I can see.

Obviously I must not be using the tools as intended. Can I have some instruction, please? Thanks!

(If it matters, my browser is Firefox 14.0.1 on Windows 7, and the original program was created in 2009 with TI-Graph Link.)
Stan, first, please read this post that I posted in your other topic; I also poked you in the SAX chat box to the left. My post answers Problem 1, asks you to introduce yourself, quells some concerns of yours, and mentions my upcoming book that may be relevant to you.

Quote:
Problem 2: When I check Optimize before clicking Parse, the token count just about doubles. Is that normal?
Yes. The token count is doubling because it's parsing the original and the optimized version. Caveat: The optimizer works very poorly. I would recommend hand optimization; if you're unfamiliar with optimization techniques, Chapter 10 of my book goes into great detail about popular (and some lesser-known) techniques.

Quote:
Problem 3: I go back and click New Project, then paste in a copy of the code from a PDF I made. (I figure that process will introduce some character errors that I can clean up.) I then click Check Syntax, and it puts : in the middles of continued lines but doesn't otherwise seem to do anything.
I can understand where Check Syntax might be a bit confusing. What it does is check that every character you've typed can be properly translated into a TI-BASIC token, but not that the text you've typed is valid TI-BASIC. People use SourceCoder for Axe code, BASIC code, and even text, so I don't force people to type valid TI-BASIC into the editor.

Quote:
Problem 4: I even tried deliberately creating bad syntax, by typing :Blah Blah at the start. Check Syntax didn't flag that as an error in any way I can see.
See my previous answer. If it doesn't pop up a box of errors in red text, it will be correctly able to export a .8xp from your text/code, even if it won't execute as functioning TI-BASIC.

Hope this helps! Keep the questions coming.
Thanks Kerm! I understand the scope of syntax checking better now.

As you'll see in Suggestions, I did suggest checking actual valid commands, but I do understand that would be a lot of work to cover all the calculators and maybe no something you'd want to get into.

I will intro myself as suggested, but right now I need to dash or I'll be late(r) to work.

Stan

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours