Personal Website

This will be the first web page I've ever made and I would like to market myself. I understand that the actual content of the text leaves much to be desired but, from a technical standpoint, can you tell me what I should fix? Thanks.[/url]
  1. I like the header image.
  2. The navigation wasn't too welcoming but I grew to like it fast.
  3. I understand simplicity may be your motif here but perhaps listing some of those "flat fee charges" could be a good idea.
  4. For projects, the info opens on top. I find that unnatural. Also, it wasn't immediately clear, perhaps a cursor change or hover element would be of use.
  5. While I like the idea of a much more personal/direct line of communication, I've found most clients shy away from such things. A contact field is much more private (for you) and feels less invasive to your potential clients, where they'll gladly open a line of communication that way. Also, if you get spam it's simple enough to add some fields and thwart the attempts. (The spam from my contact form has dropped a bit since I added some new fields).
1. Thank you! It's not an image, by the way. Wink
2. Thank you again!
3. Will do.
4. Fixed.
5. Could you elaborate on that? What do you mean by 'contact field'? Do you mean a field where they type in their information and press a button to email me?
Raylin wrote:
5. Could you elaborate on that? What do you mean by 'contact field'? Do you mean a field where they type in their information and press a button to email me?

Yeah, they fill out their name and their e-mail and type a message. Click send and it's sent. You can do checks to ensure fields are entered (i.e. required fields). I find it useful and the forms can be pretty informative.

You can have fields ask for what kind of programming work and any languages they'd possibly want it in. Sometimes clients don't know what they want until they see options in front of them.
For those kinds of forms, however, be warned - if you don't put in protection of some kind, you will receive a lot of spam.
Formal or informal, I would shy away from the "(Gotta make that money, yo.)" sentence that you snuck in there. I like the minimal color scheme, though, very nice.
leafiness0 wrote:
For those kinds of forms, however, be warned - if you don't put in protection of some kind, you will receive a lot of spam.

On average, I receive about one a week. But it's sporadic. I'll receive three in one week then none for a few weeks. Then a burst followed by nothing. They're all pretty much the same, I just need to get around to filtering out all the HTML markup that's sent with them and reject a message for HTML usage.
I don't know if you saw this in SAX, but it would probably be a good idea to remove the vendor prefixes on some of your stylesheet rules - the use of -webkit-border-radius and -moz-border-radius instead of border-radius means that the menu only works in WebKit/Gecko, when it'll work fine in Trident/Presto (and presumably others). That said, if fixed, there'd be no reason to remove the patronising "Best viewed in [...]" message at the bottom of the page. Razz

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours