Summertime ennui has set in with a vengeance around the hobbyist programming community, including here at Cemetech. Between summer jobs and internships, fun in the sun, video games, and trips and vacations, many programmers and fledgling engineers are lacking time and/or motivation to work on their software and hardware projects. To tide you over until our next on-topic bit of calculator hackery (spoiler alert: an official announcement of Cemetech's WikiPrizm reference), I have a few smaller announcements to share with you. First off, I'd like to thank CalebHansberry for completing a beautiful Doors CS 7 ornament that I commissioned, which you can see below. It's very nicely-made and shows a great deal of care, and I encourage you all to get in touch with him if you want your own DCS7 (or other) ornaments carved. My ornament is now proudly adorning my desk.

Catherine, sometimes known by her pseudonym _player1537, has compiled a fascinating set of statistics on the conversation in Cemetech's IRC channel, #cemetech on Efnet (irc.efnet.net). You can read her discoveries in the relevant topic, although there are a few items interesting enough to mention here. In the past eleven months of Catherine's log, we spoke an average of 1624 lines per day, with an average of 53 seconds between each line. The top six most talkative users were KermM, Ashbad, Catherine, Aes_Sedia5, Merth, and Forty-Two. At its busiest, 73 simultaneous users were on the #cemetech channel, not counting Cemetech members on SAX. Catherine also compiled statistics about blocks of lines spoken, emoticons used, commonly-used words, and much more, so check the topic for the full billet of fun facts.

On the programming front, despite the lack of activity, many projects are still inching or bounding along. Shkaboinka's erstwhile polymorphic language OPIA has been renamed to Antelope, and with a finalized grammar, he is getting started on an implementation. Long-time community member James_V has joined us here at Cemetech, and is working on Alien Breed 5, a remake of his popular decade-old game Alien Breed IV. Prizm programmers are busy trying to understand how the Conversion add-in works, and I have been struggling with quaternions and camera rotation for the 3D engine underpinning my Graph3DP three-dimensional Prizm graphing program. Many other calculator and computer programming and hardware projects are underway, so for the full scoop, be sure to browse the Your Projects section.

Your assignment: tell us about your own project(s) or recently-completed successes of which you're particularly proud! And don't forget the sunscreen.

KermMartian wrote:
Your assignment: tell us about your own project(s) or recently-completed successes of which you're particularly proud! And don't forget the sunscreen.
Forget sunscreen, I'll bask in the cool blue glow of my monitors.

I've been working on things related to the C library for Blackfin processors at work, which is rather neat. Working down on the hardware is always fun (for me), and working on top of a commercial libc implementation has vindicated my design choices for the Prizm libc, which was cool to discover.

Outside of work, I've been oscillating between bursts of programming and getting almost nothing done. MishaBot lives, and is nearly ready for deployment outside of a single IRC channel. I've been doing some BeagleBone and NFC hacking, but that project is staying under wraps for now.
In those times where I get little done, Jonimus, Merth and myself have been playing Left 4 Dead 2 some. If we can get some more players, I'd imagine we could have a fancy time.
I've been investigating the effects of varying temporal and spatial resolutions on a gyrokinetic simulation of shear-Alfvén waves in a slab geometry.
Oh yeah, I need to get back to playing with my BeagleBone one of these days. I've mostly been working on work, Graph3DP, some Minecraft, and getting ready to go to South Korea to present my research at APSys 2012. I have also been going through the last few production phases of Programming the TI-83 Plus / 84 Plus.
elfprince13 wrote:
I've been investigating the effects of varying temporal and spatial resolutions on a gyrokinetic simulation of shear-Alfvén waves in a slab geometry.
I'm pretty sure you made up all of those words.

I've been doing what I always do: being awesome.
Still working on pokemon for me, making some nice bouts of progress, too Very Happy

Also, nice ornament, Kerm
tifreak8x wrote:
Still working on pokemon for me, making some nice bouts of progress, too Very Happy

Also, nice ornament, Kerm
Woo, bouts of Pokemon Purple progress! And thanks, I like it. Smile
Thanks for mentioning it, Kerm! I appreciate it.
CalebHansberry wrote:
Thanks for mentioning it, Kerm! I appreciate it.
Thanks right back at you! Beautiful woodwork.
Oh, BTW, remember I told you in our correspondence that the money would help to buy a calcuator? Well, it DID, and now my TI-84 Plus SE should be here on July 21st! I am quite excited! It cost $50 used on eBay.
So many projects I should start/finish this summer :3

Including computer projects (Zarmina, maybe something about Rainbow Dash too), misc Prizm hacking, robotics, website stuff, my HTML5-enhanced résumé, etc.

Might post about most of them. Also, nice ornament Very Happy
Caleb: Superb! I look forward to some great programs and games from you, then.
Juju: Thanks! Tell me more about the misc Prizm hacking that you want to do, if you don't mind?
That ornament looks great! I wish I had something calculator-related to hang on my tree, because it's awesome and it's hilarious to watch other people facepalm.

I'm just pretending I don't have anything I need to do this summer (as always), so I can spend all my time working on some random web projects, playing with my new calculators (both possible only by taking a short break from calculator programming Sad), and not think about all I'm doing wrong until it hits me all at once in September.

And no need for sunscreen because it's barely sunny here Razz
I'm currently working on improving my game design skills. As of now I'm making an asteroids clone using XNA (and it's coming along good.) Only thing hindering me is that I have to balance it with all the summer work I need to get done for the next school year.
Doing lots of drawing, lots of working, and social networking lately.
Deep: Aww at the sun comment, hope the TI-84 pocket proves interesting. You could probably get something calculator-related for your tree too, if you talk to Caleb and negotiate designs and prices. Smile

Qazz: Good luck with balancing it, and as always, hope you pick up your calculator programming again.

Ashbad: "Lots of social networking:" is that code for "spending lots of time on Facebook"? Wink
KermMartian wrote:
Ashbad: "Lots of social networking:" is that code for "spending lots of time on Facebook"? Wink

Yes, and no. My facebook page is skyrocketing with fans now so I'm spending ~1 hour a day doing stuff there. Also doing a lot of stuff on MLPforums and 4chan lately, and even expanded to Reddit (for /r/MLPdrawingschool)

As for drawing, that takes up another hour or two of my day as well.

Work and commute takes up the other 14 hours I'm awake :/
Quote:
Qazz: Good luck with balancing it, and as always, hope you pick up your calculator programming again.

Me too, I do think my calculator programming has gotten away from me :/ (When I start learning asm, whenever that will be, perhaps then I can restart on calculator programming)
Hello, I am back from vacation at Harris Beach, Oregon now. I will be finishing programming my DCS7 Icon creator suite (which is going pretty well), repairing a huge heap of computer stuff, and creating a Cemetech logo similar to the DCS7 one.
CalebHansberry wrote:
Hello, I am back from vacation at Harris Beach, Oregon now. I will be finishing programming my DCS7 Icon creator suite (which is going pretty well), repairing a huge heap of computer stuff, and creating a Cemetech logo similar to the DCS7 one.
Great! I look forward to seeing a Your Projects topic about the Icon Creator suite at some point. Also, to answer your email, you need an adapter that can inject USB power plus a special Doors CS shell extension (SE) to use a USB mouse with DCS. It's not as simple as using a USB mini-A to B converter.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours