That's the sort of thing I was thinking of. Absolutely no idea if they work with Torque, but if they work with C/C++ at all (and its unimaginable to me that game design majors don't since C++ is the industry standard), then they would definitely be helpful.
And I'd think that a university would balk less at the relatively paltry sum of a $100 license than a private programmer volunteering to help. I vote that you start sending out some feelers about this, although my impatience comes only from my impatience to play this game and enjoy more fine-grained control over my sandbox worlds than Minecraft offers.
You could always divert your minecraft time into Torque dev time Wink
The main reason I don't help with any of the coding for Freebuild is that I have no C++ knowledge. I've just never been able to pick it up. I was hoping I would learn in college but that's probably not happening for a while.

I actually am thinking of moving my Army Guys project to T3D(a friend of mine told me I can turn down the lights in the editor and get the same performance as TGE). So if I learn anything in the course of doing that I'll gladly carry that knowledge over to Freebuild.
You should take a look at some basic C first, and then try to layer the C++ knowledge on top of that. I'd be happy to point you in the right direction if you feel like some self directed learning on that front.

How's Army Guys going, btw?
elfprince13 wrote:
You should take a look at some basic C first, and then try to layer the C++ knowledge on top of that. I'd be happy to point you in the right direction if you feel like some self directed learning on that front.

How's Army Guys going, btw?

That might be worth a shot.

I haven't done much with Army Guys yet, but I have a WWII U.S. Airborne Infantry model I got when I purchased this that would work perfectly with a re-skin. The best part is it already has a normal map, which is why I want to experiment with T3D. I had an idea for a long time now to use a solid color for a diffuse map, and a normal map for details, in order to get nice-looking plastic soldiers. Even if that doesn't work, generating a solid-color detailed plastic-like diffuse map from the normals is easy in Paint.net.
For picking up C I suggest picking up a copy of K&R I keep mine with me pretty much all the time. All valid C code is also valid C++ code iirc so learning C first is definitely the way to go.
TheStorm wrote:
All valid C code is also valid C++ code iirc so learning C first is definitely the way to go.

This is actually not correct, but it's close enough for a while. When you decide to move from C to C++, the list of things that no longer behave the same way can be summarized in about a page.
KermMartian wrote:
And I'd think that a university would balk less at the relatively paltry sum of a $100 license than a private programmer volunteering to help. I vote that you start sending out some feelers about this, although my impatience comes only from my impatience to play this game and enjoy more fine-grained control over my sandbox worlds than Minecraft offers.

You already can, just without the added benefit of bloom and hypersaturation.
Elfprince, If your serious in getting more coders, wouldn't it be wise to get an online presence that's more significant than a subforum in a calculator site? Like Sourceforge, ModDB, etc?
Soo.... is this the torque that doesn't come with the destructable objects code? just wondering since I got back into learning game development... and I was playing with Torque's recent version... >.>
Xyno76 wrote:
Soo.... is this the torque that doesn't come with the destructable objects code? just wondering since I got back into learning game development... and I was playing with Torque's recent version... >.>

I'm working on 1.0.1, until the Mac release is brought up to date.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 17 of 17
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours