Hello. I'm the same MicroPro on casiocalc.org, don't visit here often (if not never) and just saw this topic from the link 42 gave on the shoutbox there.

Happy to see your first impressions, Kerm. You should really move this topic in your TI sub-forum Cool ! and you forgot to mention support for Laplace and Fourier transforms in CP. Smile

KermMartian wrote:
I suspect that the ClassPad 330 takes longer because it doesn't tokenize at all; commands are characters instead of tokens. From a math point of view, it certainly doesn't skimp on power.
ClassPad does translate the commands to two byte opcodes like other models. But somehow its parser sucks.

And you know you can overclock ClassPad, yeah?
And that for most programs the experienced use CPLua (ClassPad's on-calc Lua IDE).

Actually you reminded me memories... For writing QBasic (http://community.casiocalc.org/topic/5024-project-cp-qbasic, http://community.casiocalc.org/topic/5083-qbasic-version-020-released) about 2 years ago, I had to reverse engineer the entire program format. QBasic was basically ClassPad's CAS and local variable framework + my own lexer and command implementation. Anyway I consider it dead now.

You made me go look back in my source code and I saw that I had implemented "For" loops so tested your code:
- For the "For 1 -> i to 9999" thing I got 7:44 (446 seconds) in QBasic (high time because my Locate implementation was inefficient)
- For the "sqrt(sin(ln(1+Abs(cos I))))" repeating 999 times, QBasic makes it in 27 seconds.
Thanks for stopping by and for those good bits of info. I'm impressed at how widespread Lua is on the Casio calculators, so I'm looking forward to hopefully porting it to the Prizm. QBASIC was just about the earliest language that I taught myself, while Logo was the first language I was taught in school. While I have you, let me ask you to Introduce Yourself, and you should stop by more often to see what nifty Prizm projects we've been creating.

Code:
For 1->I To 999
sqrt(sin(ln(1+Abs(cos I))))
Next

This code runs in 67 seconds on a TI-89. After seeing the power of the Prizm, about 6 times faster, I decided to buy one. It's on it's way.

I have an Nspire, and hate it with a passion, it couldn't even run your first benchmark, as it doesn't have a 'locate' type command, totally missing. I'm going to sell that clunker.

On Amazon, one reviewer said the Prizm screen scratched easily, and recommended buying the little adhesive protectors screens people buy for the Iphones, and cutting them to size to protect the Prizm's screen. Anybody think this is necessary?

Also, while I'm thinking about it, I'm under the impression that the Prizm has only something like 60k of user ram, something like that. I found that surprising, as the high res color screen probably uses multiples larger than that in order to function. 60k is not a terrible limit, but a limit nonetheless, I keep wondering about the memory architecture that produces that when memory is so cheap.

No, unlike the '89, there is no output command. Crippled.

I guess I'm stretching this post out a bit, but the 'C' compiler for the Prizm, Windows only, or is there a Linux version? I run Ubuntu.

Wait, I found it, it's here:

http://prizm.cemetech.net/index.php?title=PrizmSDK_Setup_Guide
I absolutely don't think that's necessary. The screen already has a plastic film over it, and none of mine are scratched. Does your Nspire have an Output command, then? By the way, I edited your post; anything between [code] and [ /code] (without that extra space) turns into one of those code boxes.

Edit: It doesn't have a lot of *storage* RAM for BASIC programs, but C programs can use up to ~1MB of RAM for scratch space, and are themselves stored in Flash, which means they can be several MB.

Edit #2: Yes, Cemetech's PrizmSDK is what you need in order to write C programs on your Prizm. We would be happy to help you make sure everything works on your Ubuntu install.
mlytle0 wrote:

On Amazon, one reviewer said the Prizm screen scratched easily, and recommended buying the little adhesive protectors screens people buy for the Iphones, and cutting them to size to protect the Prizm's screen. Anybody think this is necessary?

yes, just a little touch (on a rough surface) and the screen get scratched (is very fragile)

if you only use the calculator at home is not necessary, but if you have to carry I recommend
mlytle0 wrote:

Code:
For 1->I To 999
sqrt(sin(ln(1+Abs(cos I))))
Next

This code runs in 67 seconds on a TI-89. After seeing the power of the Prizm, about 6 times faster, I decided to buy one. It's on it's way.

The example on the TI-89 runs more slowly because of its CAS. Have you tried running it in Approx mode?

Kerm Martian wrote:
Does your Nspire have an Output command, then?

I don't think any Nspire does, at least not in TI-Basic.
blue_bear_94 wrote:

The example on the TI-89 runs more slowly because of its CAS. Have you tried running it in Approx mode?

Yep, that test was done in approx mode. That baby was flat out.

The Nspire is not inspiring at all, in my opinion. The 'output' or 'locate' type commands were deleted from TI-Basic so that the kids couldn't play, especially in class. Can't have those cute little pseudographic programs by flashing little words randomly over the screen, or other uses of character strings for fun effects.
it might distract from the classroom. That's what LUA is all about. Sure they'll give you graphics access, but only by programing at HOME on your desktop. Now you have to have a desktop program to do anything serious on your calculator, which is now a crippled shell, just a recipient of inputs from the windows machine or Mac you have in your home.

On another note, it's interesting that the Prizm has a megabyte of scratch ram available for 'C' programs. Since that's a heck of a lot for a scratch area, I would assume they have bigger plans for this hardware down the road. Just so long as they don't bloat it, like the Nspire. But a CAS would be nice (though not essential).
The prizm has CAS, I believe. (I believe this because, in the default setup, fractions simplify instead of getting a decimal).

@Extra Memory
Any program will expand to fill all useable space.
We can use a calculator for math?? Shock
seana11 wrote:
The prizm has CAS, I believe. (I believe this because, in the default setup, fractions simplify instead of getting a decimal).
Fractional simplification is not the same as a true symbolic CAS. However, as you know, various members of the community (mostly AHelper, and to some extent myself) have been exploring adding a true symbolic CAS to the Prizm.

Quote:
@Extra Memory
What?

DJ_O wrote:
We can use a calculator for math?? Shock
Every program and game is built on math, as you know. Wink
KermMartian wrote:
Quote:
@Extra Memory
What?

Well, given enough time, the prizm's OS will become bloated. It simply depends on how long it will take. Hopefully, it will take longer than it's lifetime.
helder7 wrote:
mlytle0 wrote:

yes, just a little touch (on a rough surface) and the screen get scratched (is very fragile)

if you only use the calculator at home is not necessary, but if you have to carry I recommend

My brother and sister have a prizm, and i have had two. One common factor among them is the screens get scratched very easily. Not big scratches, just small ones mostly.

For me, its not a problem, because most of the scraches are only visible when the calc is off.
FlyingFisch: Weird, I can't say that has happened to either of my Prizms. Do you guys not put the slidecases back on when you're not using them?

Seana11: I don't see how that is inevitable at all. Adding more features certainly takes more space, but "filling the entire memory" sounds like unmitigated hyperbole to me.
KermMartian wrote:
FlyingFisch: Weird, I can't say that has happened to either of my Prizms. Do you guys not put the slidecases back on when you're not using them?

I ALWAYS put the slidecase back on. Like i said, the scratches are not visible when the calc is on, but when it is off, they are.

I know one scratch happened when i wiped the screen with my shirt. dont know if it was abrasive but it scratched it.
I don't feel Casio will ruin their Prizm with two much code as long as they don't try to turn it into "electronic paper" as TI has. If the total code added goes up, and they add real functionality, that's O.K. It's only if they go all "Windozey', with pointless user interface bells and whistles, like the goofy little hand on the Nspire, thats when you know the cheese has fallen off their cracker, and the experience on that machine will noticeably degrade.

On my Amazon review of the Nspire I purchased there, I made the point that TI had abandoned the KISS principle, that made their earlier offerings so well received.
"How long" are the key words here. If it takes 50 years, so be it. The problem only arises when the time is relatively short (<10). However, I believe that it will take much longer than 10. The whole thing was meant as a jest pointing out the inevitability of some things.
seana11 wrote:

2.55 MP on the 84+ does that. Also, the Prizm doesn't have a CAS (can it solve equations, differentiate, and integrate symbolically? IIRC no.)
blue_bear_94 wrote:
seana11 wrote:

2.55 MP on the 84+ does that. Also, the Prizm doesn't have a CAS (can it solve equations, differentiate, and integrate symbolically? IIRC no.)

Err, I meant radicals.
seana11 wrote:
blue_bear_94 wrote:
seana11 wrote:

Err, I meant radicals.

That doesn't make a CAS. A CAS symbolically works with variable names, derivatives, and integrals.
KermMartian wrote:

Yes, and it still happens to me. Lots and lots of small scratches. I don't know how they appeared and I can't get rid of them. Like with flyingfisch, not much of a problem - only one or two of the scratches are visible when the screen is on, and they don't affect reading (they are almost unnoticeable).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours