Haha, it's one of those stupid little errors; you have all the Regex stuff correct. Change:

Code:
preg_replace($rep, $rep1, $temp);
to
Code:
$temp = preg_replace($rep, $rep1, $temp);
Thanks again Kerm. Now that Kerm finished this project for me Rolling Eyes . Does anyone have any other projects ideas that i can try to work on? Laughing
Well, just as a stylistic nitpick, I'd like to improve
Code:
$rep[0] = "/&r/";
$rep[1] = "/&b/";
$rep[2] = "/&Y/";
$rep[3] = "/&c/";
$rep[4] = "/&R/";
$rep[5] = "/&B/";
$rep[6] = "/&O/";
$rep[7] = "/&w/";
$rep[8] = "/&g/";
$rep[9] = "/&c/";
$rep[10] = "/&p/";
$rep[11] = "/&z/";
$rep[12] = "/&G/";
$rep[13] = "/&W/";
$rep[14] = "/&P/";
to
Code:
$rep = array("/&r/","/&b/","/&Y/","/&c/","/&R/","/&B/","/&O/","/&w/","/&g/","/&c/","/&p/","/&z/","/&G/","/&W/","/&P/");
So once again I have begun working with php. I am not trying to do anything spectacular, just playing around with sessions. But I have run into an issue that I know one way of solving but was curious as to whether or not there is a better way. My code is as follows:

Code:

<?php
    session_start();
    require_once("../includes/db.php");

//If user name is set they are logged in   
    if(isset($_SESSION['username'])) {

//If userlevel is not 0 then they are not an admin and need to leave   
        if($_SESSION['userlevel'] != 0) {
            die("Sorry you do not have permission to be here.");
        }

//If we get here they are an admin and we can do stuff 
        echo "Welcome to the admin area " . $_SESSION['username'] . ".";

//Now we need to connect to the database so that we can retrieve all users
        mysql_connect(DB_HOST,DB_USER,DB_PASS) or die("Could not connect to database");
        mysql_select_db(DB_NAME) or die("Could not select database");

$query="SELECT * FROM members WHERE userlevel='1'";
        $rows=mysql_query($query);

echo "<table border='1px'>";

while($results=mysql_fetch_array($rows)) {
            echo "<tr>";
            echo "<td>" . $results['username'] . "</td>";
            echo "<td><a href='" . $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] . "?action=promote&user=" . $results['username'] . "'>promote</a></td>";
            echo "</tr>";
        }

echo "</table>";

} else {
        echo '<div>You must login first.  Please click ';
        echo '<a href="../index.php">here</a>';
        echo ' to login.</div>';   
    }
?>

$_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] points to itself(http://localhost/~lafferjm/login/admin/admin.php?. Which is close to what I want, but instead of admin.php I want actions.php. I know document_root could work, but with me using userdir, it doesn't work correctly. Another solution would be just to hardcode the url but I wish to avoid that. The solution that I have thought of involves simple string processing to get the root, but it seems as though there should be a bit of an easier way.

EDIT: After making the post I figured maybe the error was with the way userdir was configured and found a solution via that route. In the above code I replaced

Code:
echo "<td><a href='" . $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] . "?action=promote&user=" . $results['username'] . "'>promote</a></td>";

with

Code:
echo "<td><a href='" . dirname($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']) . "/actions.php?action=promote&user=" . $results['username'] . "'>promote</a></td>";
and all is well.
Yup, that's the solution that I was about to suggest before I saw in SAX that you had edited your post. Smile Nice job on the four-year necrobump on your own thread with relevant content, which might be a record. Of course, feel free to post if you have further questions or thoughts.
Will do. I am going to attempt to recreate the same thing but with an oo approach, because I can see how the procedural way can get ugly fast. I also want to try and learn a little about pdo. And as a side note from reading my previous posts I must have been an annoying little shit back in the day.
Alright so I have rewritten the entire thing using pdo. My next attempt will be using objects. After the first login I will build the user object with the retrieved data. My question is, should I store this data in a session or should I run the query and rebuild the object on every page?
Run from PHP. Runnnn.
lafferjm wrote:
Alright so I have rewritten the entire thing using pdo. My next attempt will be using objects. After the first login I will build the user object with the retrieved data. My question is, should I store this data in a session or should I run the query and rebuild the object on every page?
There's nothing wrong with storing everything in sessions, and since it's easier, I say that you do that.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 8 of 8
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours