I'm very fond of the Alien series of films (well, at least the first three) so when I heard that Ridley Scott was making a new film set in the Alien universe (though not directly related to the existing films) I was naturally very excited. The Alien-themed trailer (compare with the original) sealed the deal.

My opinion of the film is somewhat mixed. The hook is that it explains the mysterious "space jockey" from the famous money shot in Alien which it certainly does. Beyond that and the involvement of Weyland Industries (later to become the sinister Weyland-Yutani Corporation) it is a film in its own right with a distinct plot from the rest of the franchise - there are no xenomorphs here. I think it tries to pack too much into its relatively short runtime - it seems like a much longer film that has had some of its expositionary scenes cut out. The result is that the film feels rushed and unfocussed, and the action sequences lose their impact when run together in quick succession without some breathing space between them.

That said, I would say that I enjoyed the film overall. Michael Fassbender and Charlize Theron perform brilliantly (the less said about Guy Pearce's old man make-up the better), it is visually stunning (I saw it in 3D) and, taken individually, some of the sequences work very well. It was also nice to see how it tied into Alien; in addition to some new designs provided by H. R. Giger for this film some ideas that were unused in the original Alien turn up in Prometheus.

Due to its confused plot it is probably a film that requires multiple viewings to get the most out of it; a more steadily paced (and longer) film would have worked better, in my opinion, but for its flaws I still enjoyed it.
I haven't seen this yet (I believe it come out on June 8th stateside). When I first saw trailers for it I was super excited because:
A.)It looked like it was a new "Alien" movie.
B.)I'm a big fan of Ridley Scott's work.
I thought that maybe it was a movie in the spirit of the original Alien movies, but I am happier to know that it actually is part of the Alien universe (even if the story is unrelated). I'll be seeing it release week, and I can't wait. Very Happy
I'd lower your expectations; the trailer is better than the film, unfortunately. I can only hope that there's a good half hour or so of footage that was left on the cutting room floor that can be reintroduced into a "director's cut" or similar down the line. As it stands it's enjoyable enough (and certainly worth the price of admission to see those stunning visuals on the big screen) but ultimately unsatisfying.
I saw it yesterday, and will generally agree that it looked nice and had some cool moments, but was rather unsatisfying. I didn't find the plot confusing, but it probably would have been better with more time to 'set the stage' so to say, since it felt like it just jumped from major event to major event and missed opportunities to flesh out characters or simply build a universe.

Especially at the beginning, I got a significant Jurassic Park vibe, what with it starting at an archaeological dig then going into travel. I've forgotten details now, but I found the similarity amusing.
Tari wrote:
I didn't find the plot confusing, but it probably would have been better with more time to 'set the stage' so to say, since it felt like it just jumped from major event to major event and missed opportunities to flesh out characters or simply build a universe.
By "confused" I was referring more to the lack of focus and apparent plot holes rather than not being able to follow the film. I definitely agree that there wasn't enough character development; with the exception of Michael Fassbender's David and Noomi Rapace's Dr Shaw I didn't really care about any of the other characters. I couldn't take Guy Pearce's old-man-Weyland seriously thanks to the dodgy make-up job they did on him, either!

Quote:
Especially at the beginning, I got a significant Jurassic Park vibe, what with it starting at an archaeological dig then going into travel. I've forgotten details now, but I found the similarity amusing.
I'm not sure if you're referring to something specific but I did quite like that aspect of the film. It went downhill sharply once they had found the structure out in space...

I'm hopeful that my problems with the film are down to bad editing rather than bad writing; the difference between Alien³'s superb assembly cut and lousy theatrical versions demonstrates how much bad editing can damage a film.

Spoilers follow: two parts of the film that stuck out to me as being particularly badly handled were Dr Shaw's trip to the surgery pod and the appearance of Weyland. For the former she attacks some crew members, runs to the pod, gets the beastie removed and then returns - this is never mentioned again, and nobody seems to care that she's covered in blood (and she seems remarkably mobile for someone who's just been stapled back together again). The other part was the eventual appearance of Weyland - as the audience we had already been given plenty of hints that he was on board (especially the "male-calibrated" surgery pod from a previous scene) but none of the crew bats an eyelid when he finally reveals himself.
I saw the trailer in 3D on my 3DS and it looked really good. I look forward to seeing it.
Here's a (rather long) snark- and spoiler-filled review of the film, which basically points out that the whole thing is full of holes and strange situations, but it looks nice.
Heh, there are some great lines in that review, and the fact that it ends on an endorsement for the superbly awful Starcrash makes me love it even more.
After reading these reviews i think i should watch it out!! Smile
I definitely enjoyed the movie, even if it wasn't the most brilliant thing Scott has ever produced. The 3d visuals were definitely stunning, and most of the characters were well portrayed, even if the plot itself had some problems/confusing bits.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours