Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.
How many watts it can supply is a good start. Then the manufacturer and model which, yes, should be on that sticker.
Appears to be it: SPARKLE ATX-350PN-B204 350W ATX 12V 2.0 Power Supply

I wouldn't trust it, and the reviews noting it uses cheap Chinese caps (and particularly those noting it failed after a while and took parts with it..) don't do it any favors.
comicIDIOT wrote:
How many watts it can supply is a good start. Then the manufacturer and model which, yes, should be on that sticker.
Indeed, this. That's (probably) a 350-Watt PSU, which is all but guaranteed to be way too weak. It's likely some off-brand, where 350 Watts means more like a safe maximum of 250 Watts.
Yeah, thats the one. I'll probably use that until I get some money; after which I need to buy a new keyboard and speakers anyways. Kllnrohj had a good suggestion for a PSU that I'll buy after this one.

EDIT: Could using this for like two weeks cause permanent damage to other parts?
LincolnB wrote:
Yeah, thats the one. I'll probably use that until I get some money; after which I need to buy a new keyboard and speakers anyways. Kllnrohj had a good suggestion for a PSU that I'll buy after this one.

EDIT: Could using this for like two weeks cause permanent damage to other parts?


No, you can't use it. For one, I'm betting you don't have the power adapters you'll need since that PSU doesn't have power for PCI-Express (needed for the video card), nor SATA (needed for hdd & dvd drive). Possibly doesn't even have the connectors your motherboard will want (looks like it has a 24-pin, but missing the extra 4/8 pin).

Second, it probably won't be able to handle the system's power draw in the first place.

Third, if it fries something that's it - that thing is dead and needs to be replaced. Just buy the better PSU and wait a week - or if you don't want to wait for shipping check out your local Fry's or Microcenter if you have one, the probably have the PSU I suggested at a similar price to Newegg.
Kllrnohj wrote:
... check out your local Fry's or Microcenter if you have one, the probably have the PSU I suggested at a similar price to Newegg.


I know Fry's has a wonderful Price Matching policy. They'll price match the price on Amazons Website for BluRays, I can only assume they'd do the same for computer parts on Newegg and other reputable online retailers.

Now, their return policy is another story.
Tari wrote:
Appears to be it: SPARKLE ATX-350PN-B204 350W ATX 12V 2.0 Power Supply

I wouldn't trust it, and the reviews noting it uses cheap Chinese caps (and particularly those noting it failed after a while and took parts with it..) don't do it any favors.
I was amused by this reviewer's comment:
Quote:
Other Thoughts: Do some research into your ACTUAL power consumption needs. Do not abuse our worlds resources by not being a good steward of your own!
Clearly he or she thinks that having a high-efficiency 800Watt supply instead of a low-end, poor-efficiency 350Watt supply would be preferable for a 300Watt load, because that 800Watt supply is wasting 800 WHOLE WATTS!
Kllrnohj wrote:
LincolnB wrote:
Yeah, thats the one. I'll
No, you can't use it. For one, I'm betting you don't have the power adapters you'll need since that PSU doesn't have power for PCI-Express (needed for the video card), nor SATA (needed for hdd & dvd drive). Possibly doesn't even have the connectors your motherboard will want (looks like it has a 24-pin, but missing the extra 4/8 pin).


The unit I have has all of the cables I need, or at least, I was able to connect to the mobo (it does have a 4/8 pin, maybe not the one on newegg, but the one I have does), and I've been able to connect my hard drive with a Molex-SATA adapter. It looks like it has a couple SATA cables too, so at least in terms of connecting stuff it works.

Anways, more out of fear of destroying something than anything else, I probably will end up buying the better PSU.
It's not going to have the proper PCIe power headers for your graphics card. Please don't sacrifice hundreds of dollars worth of hardware for ~$50 of PSU. Sad
OK. It appears Best Buy has the PSU Kllnrohj suggested, so maybe I'll go buy that today.
Bump, everything works - I'm posting this from my newly built compy (running Linux Mint, I can't find the bloddy Win7 install CD) Thanks for the help everyone!
LincolnB wrote:
Bump, everything works - I'm posting this from my newly built compy (running Linux Mint, I can't find the bloddy Win7 install CD) Thanks for the help everyone!
Great! How does it seem to be running for you? Any hiccups?
No, it seems to be fine. I haven't done any real gaming or coding with it yet, so I don't really what its like performance-wise. I don't think I'm getting everything I could be out of the graphics card, since the driver install CD thing that came with it only runs on Windows.
LincolnB wrote:
No, it seems to be fine. I haven't done any real gaming or coding with it yet, so I don't really what its like performance-wise. I don't think I'm getting everything I could be out of the graphics card, since the driver install CD thing that came with it only runs on Windows.


Never ever ever use the video card drivers from the CD - always go to ati.com or nvidia.com and download the latest.

Although honestly the open source ones that Mint probably came with will work fine
What's wrong with the CD's video card drivers?
They're usually hopelessly out of date.
OK. There were two graphics drivers in the "Additional Drivers" thing, and I downloaded/installed one of them successfully. The other one was something about post-release updates, and for whatever reason the install failed.
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement