For a long while now, at least 6 months, if my 3DS took a small knock, there was a chance it would completely shut off. While annoying at times, and while it shouldn't happen, I could live with it because it was avoidable.

More recently, I purchased a Nyko battery pack, that said it would double my battery life(Which it does, and is very nice because the 3DS has short battery life). To install it, the battery cover and battery are removed, and both are replaced by the whole battery pack, and screwed into the bottom of the 3DS.

After a while, my 3DS developed a much more unavoidable tendency - Occasionally when shutting my 3DS for sleep mode, instead of doing so, it would completely shut off. This didn't happen too often at first, only happening every now and then, but the rate soon skyrocketed. A week after this problem started, my 3DS began shutting off when I tried closing it at least 95% of the time. On top of all this, I began noticing that some buttons were failing. First, the A button stopped being responsive, only registering a press 25% of the time, regardless of applied pressure. After that, I noticed the B button beginning to fail, followed by the Start button.

That's when I simply stopped using my 3DS. Around 2 weeks ago, I just set it down on the charger and haven't touched it since. I don't know what to do, because all this has started happening after my warranty on it expired.
it must have taken a nasty fall at some point.

only thing you can do is send it to nintendo to get repaired, but it will cost you.
JoeYoung wrote:
it must have taken a nasty fall at some point.

only thing you can do is send it to nintendo to get repaired, but it will cost you.

Only, it hasn't taken any fall of such description. I carried it around in my pocket all day, then I set it on the charger to wait for another day.
it's still broken in some way, my advice still stands.
hmm too bad... I got my 3ds for Christmas. I really hope this doesn't happen to mine.
zeldaking wrote:
hmm too bad... I got my 3ds for Christmas. I really hope this doesn't happen to mine.

I've had mine over a year now.... it even got a little chewed up by a dog while it was closed, but it still runs fine.
Some Tear down guides here at iFixit if you'd like to open it up

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/Nintendo_3DS

It may be as simple as a loose connector.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours