Hey everyone, I'm a bit new in the calculator programming area. I have a Casio Prizm and I have been following all the action that has been going on about it.

I really wanted to get into it, but I don't really know C or C++. Is it possible to to make Add-ins using Python (which I have a rudamentary understanding of)?

Don't hammer me too hard if the answer is no, I'm still new at this.
We don't have Python ported to the Prizm yet, so no.
From what I know of no you can't program in python, but you will have lots of help with learning how to program in C if need be.
Alright then, is c or c++ hard to learn? (Do you need a class?)
I know java but I am (Trying) to learn C very slowly but am starting to see simularity's.
and probably not.
You should use C rather than C++, the latter still being buggy and also somewhat unnecessary on the Prizm. It's not terribly hard to learn C if you're willing to spend some time at it. There are a lot of good C tutorials out there and all that's necessary is learning the Prizm versions of standard library calls.
Qwerty.55 wrote:
You should use C rather than C++, the latter still being buggy and also somewhat unnecessary on the Prizm. It's not terribly hard to learn C if you're willing to spend some time at it. There are a lot of good C tutorials out there and all that's necessary is learning the Prizm versions of standard library calls.

In conclusion, stop being lazy and learn C.
Rebuttal: Python has fairly light library requirements, so porting it would probably be doable. I'm tempted to look into it, but I really don't have the time to devote to such a project.
This led me to an interesting thought, what about the .net CF? The source is available and it is known to run on sh processors. I think that would be rather interesting to look into.
blue_bear_94 wrote:
Qwerty.55 wrote:

I hardly think that asking if python is available, and how one would go about learning C is being "Lazy". No need to make condescending posts towards our new members.
TheStorm wrote:
This led me to an interesting thought, what about the .net CF? The source is available and it is known to run on sh processors. I think that would be rather interesting to look into.
I'm very much in favor of this idea. Let's do it.
Qwerty.55 wrote:

Sheesh, what's wrong with C++? It works just fine...
AHelper wrote:
Sheesh, what's wrong with C++? It works just fine...
Nothing. But on device, where each CPU cycle and byte of RAM is valuable, it is better to use C, because it has smaller overhead.
Mmmm, that's very debatable. I think g++ is just as good at compiling optimized C++ code as GCC is for C code. Wink I love the idea of a Python interpreter, and it's an idea I've sort of looked into myself as far as the necessary footprint for the Prizms. Unfortunately, I too don't have the time to devote to it. Globalmap, you should just pick up C, it's a fairly easy language, and we're here to answer any questions large or small. May I also recommend that you Introduce Yourself when you get a chance?
blue_bear_94 wrote:
Qwerty.55 wrote:

Not where I was going...

EDIT: Kerm, I also looked into it. It's doable, just a lot of work.
How would python be ported? would the code be compiled like with C, and then made into an addin, or would it be intepreted?
Python compiles to an internal bytecode at runtime. All you'd do is use those pre-compiled bytecode files.
umm.... I hate to barge in, but what I meant was is it possible to code the program in python and comple it into a .g3a?
Globalmap wrote:
umm.... I hate to barge in, but what I meant was is it possible to code the program in python and comple it into a .g3a?

Python is interpreted, not compiled.
Python can be compiled. For example, py2exe compiles it to a windows executable. Just because something is usually interpreted doesn't mean it can't be compiled.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours