Basically, I'm wanting to relearn a lot of math stuff that I have either forgotten or I never learned in the first place. I figured here would be a good as place as any to ask.

I'd like to restart with pre-algebra mathematics and work my way up from there. Are there any free online books, or cheap books that can be purchased that would help teach how to work out problems and such? I mean, I could easily enough go buy student books, but they normally aren't very informative on the teaching aspect, they just contain the problems themselves.

Thanks in advance Smile
First of all:
Algorithms in Computer Algebra
This book is quite possibly the best resource I've ever come across for a lot of varied mathematics. Buy it, torrent it, doesn't matter. Get your hands on it. Be warned that it goes to rather high level mathematics in places, so you may need to learn a bit in order to read it.

More high level math:
Mathematics made difficult
While the title might scare one, it's actually a brilliant introduction to some more abstract mathematics.
For calculus: Elementary Calculus: an infinitesimal approach
This textbook was released by the author for free in PDF form. It's a slightly more rigorous and intuitive approach to calculus intended for a normal calculus class. It does not use normal calculus, so be warned that the calculus methods you'll see on Wikipedia are subtly different.

Other books:

Calculus for the Utterly Confused
Schaum's Outline of Theory and Problems of Differential and Integral Calculus
Calculus: Early Transcendentals

For basic Algebra: Elementary Algebra
I don't have much experience with this book, but it's intended for normal algebra students and is available for free.

For Trig: CK-12-Trigonometry

Those should keep anyone busy for awhile, but let me know if there's anything in specific areas you'd like references on.
As a checker and solver, I must recommend WolframAlpha, with which I assume that most of you are already familiar. It's built on top of Mathematica, which is a great math tool for symbolic solving and manipulation. As an EE, I'm also very familiar with Matlab, and have a bit of a love-hate relationship with the software.
You can find great video tutorials on Khan Academy.
http://www.khanacademy.org/

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours