Hey, all. There is some 8xk shells for the 84+/se. I remember reading a manual to one of these shells, and seeing windows xp zero, linux top hat, and something called ZeroOS. I read about it in the linux top hat manual (the .rtf file). http://www.ticalc.org/pub/83plus/flash/programs/basicbuilder/linux.zip is the file location. call me crazy, but I will quote this manual.
Quote:

on my quest to make a calculator more like a computer, I started out with PC4TI (available @ ticalc.org) it was just a simple menu that linked a few programs, it was nice but not very PC like.

Then came Zero OS, very small release because of major bugs, but it did have a graphic interface! And you moved around a curser instead of searching through endless menus.

There were versions of zero os, (v 1.0, 2.0, 2.9)
But they all maintained one problem, the limitations of basic. After a few minutes they would crash even if you didn’t do anything, just from using up memory, Yes there is some ASM coding in there But I like to make it mostly BASIC, to push the limits, see how far it could go.

Next came one Maybe you’ve herd of,
Windows XP Zero, witch greatly surpassed the my first two PC attempts, it included many feathers like:

Instant messaging, remote desktop, file management, cmd, Fire wall, start button, passwords, and user names, Microsoft word, and more,

This OS’s greatest achievement, was mainly using the calc’s default + curser, so the program could stay running longer than most basic programs, and if you leave the program running too long it goes to stand by mode, so you won’t waste batters. The main problem was it didn’t give much, it had features that were nice, but you don’t really need so it was a once-in-a-wile use thing.

...Soooo, what am I getting at, exactly? I want to try this ZeroOS.
Any help with that?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours