FireFox 1.5 release is out! do you know where YOUR copy is??? Laughing
Well, both my comps are runnig RC3 at the moment, but I will be installing the update soon. Need to get my mom upgraded to it (she still uses 1.0.7)

moved to computer open topic
DLing portable Firefox 1.5 RC3.
I've had the beta for a while - is this any different?
Don't know, but I have been using every version of 1.5 since beta 1
This is the first time I've gotten above 1.0.7 - I'm lovin' it. Smile
yeah, been lovin since the beta
It seems much much speedier - did they rewrite the HTML renderer?
KermMartian wrote:
It seems much much speedier - did they rewrite the HTML renderer?

i don't think Gecko has changed much

BUT they might have made some of the "tweaks" standdard, such as more pipeline requests and such (type about:config in your URL address)
Yup, I do indeed know about that.
Question Does Mozilla have the same memory leaks as Firefox?
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:

Apparently not, I heard they fixed those.
KermMartian wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:

the largest reported memory leak wasn't a leak at all, but the instant-goback caching feature (which can be turned off)

since mozilla and firefox are based on the same core, gecko (afaik), they would suffer similar mem leaks for that part - however i heard alot of the firefox leaks (the smaller ones) concern poorly written extensions
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:

the largest reported memory leak wasn't a leak at all, but the instant-goback caching feature (which can be turned off)

since mozilla and firefox are based on the same core, gecko (afaik), they would suffer similar mem leaks for that part - however I heard alot of the firefox leaks (the smaller ones) concern poorly written extensions

I definitely <3 that autocaching of the page rendering.
Just wanted to know, because my browsers keep crashing like every hour or so of operation or less (maybe it's because I have a crappy computer...)

I'll try disabling cache and see if that helps any.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Just wanted to know, because my browsers keep crashing like every hour or so of operation or less (maybe it's because I have a crappy computer...)

I'll try disabling cache and see if that helps any.

Doesn't Firefox discard it after 10 pages back though?
Probably, because I disabled cache, and it still crashes Sad Maybe my comp really is the problem... *shock* Laughing
KermMartian wrote:
Doesn't Firefox discard it after 10 pages back though?

i'm pretty sure it depends upon your amount of ram, somewhere between 2-8pages depending

NOTE: the goback cache is NOT able to be turned off in the options menu!!!

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/ben/archives/009749.html

instead you have to go to about:config and change browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers to 0 from -1 (the default)
Wow, I just checked the windows console, and FF was eating up 75megs of RAM on a 1gig machine! Shock
KermMartian wrote:
Wow, I just checked the windows console, and FF was eating up 75megs of RAM on a 1gig machine! Shock

yup, you were using alot of goback cache then, lol

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours