DShiznit wrote:
Super Video Converter is an easy-to-use frontend for ffmpeg and a bunch of other converters, but it might require administrative privledges, I'm not actually sure. It does do everything I ever need it to without having to go through a command line, and it includes all the converters in it's package so I can quickly install it anywhere I need to manipulate video(like at church when doing the VBS presentation, for example).
I would highly suggest NOT to use that software, for it is a nasty malware... it is "legit" in that it does some video conversions (with a really old FFMPEG build), but...

On personal experience (not just what others say about it online), with a anti-rootkit scanner, the SUPER directory and registry files came up positive.

Just my 2 cents. I'd go with benryve's suggestion of WinFF. I also found this, but I don't have any experience with that program.
DShiznit wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:
MP4 FTW.

I've had mixed results with MP4s. They certainly save a lot of space, which is great for portable devices like my PSP or Wii memory card, but at the same time their quality doesn't hold a candle to Xvid/DivX AVI(which are admittedly a good bit larger)
Oh look, somebody who doesn't know what they're talking about. mp4 is a container, just like avi. Neither of them compare to Matroska in versatility.

As far as codecs go, h.264 (usually as implemented by x264, simply because it's a very good free encoder) is the current gold standard, and the only reason to use some other codec is to avoid further lossy conversion or to support limited devices.
Tari wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:
MP4 FTW.

I've had mixed results with MP4s. They certainly save a lot of space, which is great for portable devices like my PSP or Wii memory card, but at the same time their quality doesn't hold a candle to Xvid/DivX AVI(which are admittedly a good bit larger)
Oh look, somebody who doesn't know what they're talking about. mp4 is a container, just like avi. Neither of them compare to Matroska in versatility.

As far as codecs go, h.264 (usually as implemented by x264, simply because it's a very good free encoder) is the current gold standard, and the only reason to use some other codec is to avoid further lossy conversion or to support limited devices.

By MP4, I was assuming he meant the standard h.264 MP4(I've never seen anyone use any other codec with that container). That said, you're right to criticize me for not clarifying that. Matroska is certainly one of the best containers I've used, but a lot of computers don't know how to read them without additional extensions installed(such as CCCP, which I've put on every computer I've ever owned). On my own machine, or on my hacked Wii they're great, but if I'm making a presentation for Church, I'm not gonna have the luxury of installing additional software on their computers. I mentioned DivX/Xvid because I've always gotten great quality at a fairly decent size. Not small enough to fit on every portable device(which is where your gold standard comes in) but enough that you can fit many of them on an external harddrive. I've also noticed that they scale well at high resolutions compared to h.264. Maybe it's a fluke and there may have been other factors, but I've had proportionally smaller sizes and required less system resources to run a 720p DivX AVI than was required for the same size h.264 MP4. Keep in mind I'm not by any stretch of the imagination anything even resembling an expert on the subject, and it's been a while since I've worked with video formats so my knowledge is likely incomplete and outdated. Just thought it would have some value to share what I've learned, even if that value comes from me being wrong.
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
I find anything windows sucks, and is flawed naturally. So anything WM* Is out for me. I honestly never "Converted " To MOV so I would not know, i DO know that when exporting to MOV, it looks amazing.

I personally use WMV for all my exports because the file is tiny - often I have multiple 100 MB AVIs or MOVs for my source clips, but the final file is only ~75 MB.
DShiznit wrote:
a lot of computers don't know how to read them without additional extensions installed(such as CCCP, which I've put on every computer I've ever owned). On my own machine, or on my hacked Wii they're great, but if I'm making a presentation for Church, I'm not gonna have the luxury of installing additional software on their computers

Put the latest portable VLC build on the thumbdrive with your presentation? You can even keep the Mac and Windows builds around and not have to deal with CCCP or Perian (on Mac).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours