KermMartian wrote:
Hmm, I hadn't really considered that. Can Matlab and/or the TI-89 do such magic?

I have no idea. Mathematica + Alpha can, Maple can. But my reason for suggesting it is mostly that if you can do that relatively quickly, all the trig functions come free (Euler's identity). z^x, for z in C and x in R is obviously easy. x^z is the more applicable one, and I assume if you can do the latter, z₁^z₂ should be doable as well.

And some of the basic results from complex analysis (residues, and the Cauchy-Riemann theorem) would be really helpful to have available in a handheld CAS.

[edit]

heck, even the TI-83+ series can at least do exponentiation on the complex plane.
How can you guys have missed the obvious application here for a color calculator? ANAGLYPHS! A 3D graph in an anaglyphic perspective projection would be AWESOME.
DShiznit wrote:
How can you guys have missed the obvious application here for a color calculator? ANAGLYPHS! A 3D graph in an anaglyphic perspective projection would be AWESOME.
Oh, that is quite clever indeed, I might have to put that mode into Graph3DP as an easter egg once I get the normal graph display working.
That's a really cool program. I take it functions will have defined colors for each? perhaps there should be shading as it gets deeper into the y axis, so you can tell lines apart on the mesh.
willrandship wrote:
That's a really cool program. I take it functions will have defined colors for each? perhaps there should be shading as it gets deeper into the y axis, so you can tell lines apart on the mesh.
Currently the coloring has to do with the Y-coordinate of the function relative to the minimum and maximum Y coordinate of all functions on the given range. This afternoon I actually refactored my code to allow for an arbitrary number of surfaces, so next up I need to finish off that darn input routine.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours