I just ordered a TI83+SE. I am wondering wether I should have gotten an 84+SE for programming purposes... I don’t know, but Kerm tells me the ti83+SE is better all around... can I get like a profiling and then veteran programmers’ opinions?
The major difference between the 83+SE and 84+SE is pretty obvious: the 84+SE has USB while the 83+SE doesn't. There's also another minor difference: the 84+SE has a clock. But nobody really uses the clock, so that's irrelevant.
There's one other difference, and it's arguably very important. Every 83+SE has 128KiB of RAM. The OS only uses 32KiB, so that's 6 16KiB pages that can be put to various uses. Older 84+SEs do too. However, newer 84+SEs (like mine, regrettably) only have 48KiB RAM, and you can't really know how much RAM an 84+SE has unless you know its original date; you likely would have ended up with a newer one.
Unless your programming might extend to USB or use of lots of the extra RAM, the only difference is in what programs you can use. USB means CALCNet's a lot easier to use, for instance. With the extra RAM, however, you can run, say, Emu8x or Virtual Calc.
An 83+SE is definitely not a bad calc, though. Enjoy it!
I am not really sure why Kerm suggested the TI83+SE but, if he did suggest that it is better all around I am certain he had good reason. However, I used the 84+, and the CPU is 2.5times faster plus the memory three times larger than the TI83+SE as far as I know. It was the best purchase I ever made, and the graphics in basic were awesome in comparison in my opinion thanks to the increase in speed. I would have to say that maybe the TI83+SE would be more useful for learning how to write quality code which would be for some the ultimate goal in programming. Others are more qualified than I am to answer your question but, I think they are both great for programming purposes and I would like to add that one could write some pretty amazing programs with either of the two and the TI83+SE is a wonderful choice .
The TI 83+SE's CPU runs at the same speed as the 84+SE, 15 MHz. Personally I like the 84+SE more than the 83+SE (I have both thanks to Merth Smile) because the keys feel better to me, it feels more sturdy, and it seems less likely to break. Some 83+/SEs may also experience screen problems.
souvik1997 wrote:
The TI 83+SE's CPU runs at the same speed as the 84+SE, 15 MHz. Personally I like the 84+SE more than the 83+SE (I have both thanks to Merth Smile) because the keys feel better to me, it feels more sturdy, and it seems less likely to break. Some 83+/SEs may also experience screen problems.

You are right about the CPU speed. It was the TI83 and TI83+ that had the disadvantage of CPU speed. The TI83+SE version is the same.
Here's what I like about the TI-83+SE:
- Lots of memory: 1.5MB archive, second only to the 2MB of the TI-84+SE
- Sturdy old-school design: I prefer the 83/83+ case to the 84/84+ case
- Modability: And one of the main reasons why is that the TI-83/+/SE case has tons of room for jamming hardware into
- Fast! Same speed as the 84+/SE series

Basically, it's the TI-84+SE minus USB and a clock, plus a nice case and extreme modability. The best of both worlds, in my view.
Kerm, I was under the impression that the 83+SE and 84+SE both had 2MiB of Flash. From the TI-83 Plus Silver Edition Addendum to the TI-83 Plus Developer Guide, page 1: "The TI-83 Plus Silver Edition Flash ROM is composed of 2048K (2M) bytes divided into 128 pages, each of which is 16K bytes in size."
Aye, but they both have 1.5MB user-accessible. I suppose I should really make that clear (and fix that in my Chapter 1 draft of my book, where I correctly attributed the 83+SE 1.5MB of user-accessible archive but showed the 84+SE as 2MB).

Edit: Hahaha nope, I had it exactly right in my book. Very Happy
You are all ver helpful. I think I will stick with my purchase, because quality code is my main goal. If I ever had any better reason to use a Ti84+SE, I would buy one for christmas, but I have so many hours of learning ahead of me I think it’s best to slowly advance up the line.
It’s as fast, less risky to have less RAM (RAM is so helpful in plentiful sizes, anyways! The more the merrier.), supports greyscale just as well, and feels so much more Ti83+ish, which will make the switch easier.
I am only afraid because it is the OS and hardware of the 83SE with which I have seen the most documentation about having the most cases of a bricked calc.
If I brick a calc, it’s at least a year before a new one. I had to do some major begging to get wabbitemu after bricking my Ti83+.

Can somebody explain to me what it is in terms of OS? Like the TIOS 1.19 with support for more ROM pages and different hardware? Or is it different?
You've seen more documented cases of bricked TI-83+SE calculators where, exactly? I've heard no such thing. OS 1.19 is an excellent OS, and works on both the 83+ and 83+SE calculators; I find it to be very stable.
I do too, best OS out of the bunch. What OS is originally used, though?
I see it wherever people claim their calc broke accidentally doing any number of things. Is there anything I have to do with my SE to give it OS 1.19? I want it, as long as there is seamless compatibility with the SE’s extra ROM and RAM pages.
Dapianokid wrote:
Is there anything I have to do with my SE to give it OS 1.19? I want it, as long as there is seamless compatibility with the SE’s extra ROM and RAM pages.
If it's not already installed, simply send 1.19 to the calc just like with an 83+.
If it isn’t installed, what WILL be on the calc?
Some other version of the OS that should work just fine. Upgrading won't hurt, though, if you can.
Dapianokid wrote:
If it isn’t installed, what WILL be on the calc?
[2nd][+][1] (Mem->About) will show you the current OS version.
Which means I’ll just find out later then. Well, I’m satisfied. Thank you.
Dapianokid wrote:
Which means I’ll just find out later then. Well, I’m satisfied. Thank you.
You're welcome. Feel free to post any further questions on the differences between the two models or the strengths and weaknesses of the TI-83+SE that you may have.
Which is better for linking? USB or I/O?
Is there in any way support for the extra RAM for use as user RAM?
Dapianokid wrote:
Which is better for linking? USB or I/O?
Depends what you're trying to do. TI-Connect is more reliable with I/O than with USB, but USB has a higher throughput. I/O is better for interfacing with random bits of hardware, USB is (of course) better for trying to talk to USB devices.
Quote:
Is there in any way support for the extra RAM for use as user RAM?
No, not without writing a new OS or extremely extensive patches to the existing OS. (EXTREMELY extensive)
Well what problems arise without proper patches?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours