Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Why would you use python for anything in realtime?
Because openCV plugs into python and GUIs are a pain in C?
KermMartian wrote:
While we're debating about GUIs, what python library should I use for a fullscreen, realtime video app with overlays? Ideally I'd like to be able to put text and geometric shapes in the overlays, and the image from a video stream in the background.

pygame + pymedia.
elfprince13 wrote:
Quote:
Also, you missed some reasons. I'll sum it up simply as "braindead super-retarded language design decisions". Java forces good programmers to be mediocre.

The only thing I'm not really a fan of is the general lack of unsigned values (char's the only real unsigned numeric datatype).
Generics? Wink Not helped by the rather bizarre distinction between int and Integer (for example), of course.
I didn't find wrapper classes to be that difficult when coding in Java. It implicitly casts pretty much anything you need.
benryves wrote:
Generics? Wink Not helped by the rather bizarre distinction between int and Integer (for example), of course.

Generics are actually one of the reasons I like Java 5 better than earlier versions. They make code a LOT cleaner. ints vs Integers can be frustrating at times.....but the primitive types are nice memory savers (object references take up space!) when used in the right place.
elfprince13 wrote:
benryves wrote:

Generics are actually one of the reasons I like Java 5 better than earlier versions. They make code a LOT cleaner. ints vs Integers can be frustrating at times.....but the primitive types are nice memory savers (object references take up space!) when used in the right place.
My point is that Java's implementation of generics (aka type erasure) is pretty terrible. A generic collection in Java stores everything as Objects internally, with the requisite casts to and from Object inserted by the compiler. This reliance on Object also means that any advantage of using primitives is lost as they end up being boxed anyway, and breaks reflection (the collection has no type information associated with it - to the runtime it looks like a collection of Objects).

I suppose .NET has the benefit of hindsight, but when you (say) create a List<int> it generates a new type that internally stores ints, not objects. It also supports value types (structs) throughout, so there's no need for wrapper classes.
benryves wrote:
My point is that Java's implementation of generics (aka type erasure) is pretty terrible. A generic collection in Java stores everything as Objects internally, with the requisite casts to and from Object inserted by the compiler. This reliance on Object also means that any advantage of using primitives is lost as they end up being boxed anyway, and breaks reflection (the collection has no type information associated with it - to the runtime it looks like a collection of Objects).

I suppose .NET has the benefit of hindsight, but when you (say) create a List<int> it generates a new type that internally stores ints, not objects. It also supports value types (structs) throughout, so there's no need for wrapper classes.

.NET may have the advantage of hindsight, but templating in C++ is still better than Java's generics, so Java still had an example of how it should work. Java's primitives and autoboxing is incredibly stupid as well. C# definitely did it right.
So, I just did a bit of updating of the SFGP website for the first time in years. If anyone has any feedback, it would be appreciated (http://sfgp.cemetech.net). It's generally much more useable than it was before, though I still have a few dead links that need updating.

Also, for some reason, Google revealed that I have two of these sort of topics, being able to merge them would be nice. http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4505
Spiffed up my archive page today. Still wondering what y'all think of the new and improved navigation, and the new and improved background.
Not a fan of the header image.
The navigation is pretty cool. Perhaps make the top and bottom round ends a bit more solid or "heavy" and make the on-hover popout the same height as the inner main navigation.
I've always been a fan of the options in navigation always have a landing page, so if I were to click on "Projects" I would land on a page for all the Projects with a summary of each, and from there I can select one or I can select it right from the navigation when hovering over "Projects."

I like the background and colors, though.

That's all I got for now.
comicIDIOT wrote:
Not a fan of the header image.

Hmm, I just uploaded a new version, although I think I like the coloration of this one a little less I think.

Quote:

The navigation is pretty cool. Perhaps make the top and bottom round ends a bit more solid or "heavy"

Thanks! What do you mean by this part?

Quote:

make the on-hover popout the same height as the inner main navigation.

Yeah, I should do that. Right now I just have it approximated, since I wasn't using a fixed height on either of them.

Quote:

I've always been a fan of the options in navigation always have a landing page, so if I were to click on "Projects" I would land on a page for all the Projects with a summary of each, and from there I can select one or I can select it right from the navigation when hovering over "Projects."

Implemented!

Quote:

I like the background and colors, though.

Thanks!
Ah, I like that header logo better!

elfprince13 wrote:
Quote:

The navigation is pretty cool. Perhaps make the top and bottom round ends a bit more solid or "heavy"

Thanks! What do you mean by this part?

For some reason the navigation styling looks like a time capsule with those green/blue lines separating the half circle top and bottom. I think it'd be visually appealing if those domes were darker (or non-transparent) than the body. Or, if you remove the lines it would look equally as great.

Also, the domes aren't equal. I took a look at the images and their equal in size there. If you want to remove some images from your site you can use the letterbg.png for the round top & roundbottom then apply a border radius. Also, you can decrease the size of letterbg by a bit, I use a 5x5px text background on my site.
comicIDIOT wrote:

For some reason the navigation styling looks like a time capsule with those green/blue lines separating the half circle top and bottom. I think it'd be visually appealing if those domes were darker (or non-transparent) than the body. Or, if you remove the lines it would look equally as great.

Done (the first, and agreed - it looks better darker).

Quote:
Also, the domes aren't equal. I took a look at the images and their equal in size there.

That had never bothered me until you mentioned it, and then it nagged me all day!

Quote:
If you want to remove some images from your site you can use the letterbg.png for the round top & roundbottom then apply a border radius.

I don't trust that on older browsers.

Also, big file restructuring on the backend to make things not such a mess.

[edit]

Just added a whole mess of downloads to my older projects and various demos. A lot of it is useful or interesting stuff, but probably wouldn't meet QC for the official Cemetech archives (particularly the partial-completion section). These include some of the Python scripts I've used to help with bitmap->code conversions for Sonic (over at UTI), Pokemon Purple, and my own projects.
Bump on the webpage updates. I'd appreciate feedback on the current look & feel, particularly the version of the front page that I've enabled in the last week and the usability of the gallery pages.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours