I've noticed that a lot of visitors are searching for Casio Prizm games or the steps to put programs on their Prizm color-screen graphing calculators, so here's the simple three-step method of getting games on your Prizm.

Step 1: Find the game that you want, such as from Cemetech's archive of Prizm games. Unzip the zip archive, and find the all files ending in .g3*.

Step 2: Plug your Prizm into your computer with a MiniUSB cable. On the Prizm's screen, a menu will pop up; press F1 to make your Prizm look like a flash drive to your computer.

Step 3: Copy all the .g3* files into your calculator, which will appear as a Removable Drive in My Computer (if you're on Windows) or in the Finder (if you're using a Mac). Any .g3a files should go in the root (main folder) of the drive. All other files should go in @MainMem/PROGRAM.

That's it! Feel free to post if you have any questions.
What are the program's extensions? Also, what about .g3b/p?
.g3p is a picture and .g3b is a collection of pictures like a .gif.
You can read a .g3p with PictPlot.g3a from Casio.

I think it would be great to add 2 folders in the prizm/games archives. One for .g3a (C programs) and the other one for .g3m (basic programs).
Ummm... and just not to let Windows and Mac OSX be the only operating systems mentioned, on Linux the Prizm also appears as a USB flashdrive which you can manage using the filemanager of your choice or just the command line Wink
Basically, by pressing F1, the Prizm will turn into a 16MB pendrive; if you're connecting it to your computer or a digital photo frame, it doesn't matter Smile
gbl08ma wrote:
Basically, by pressing F1, the Prizm will turn into a 16MB pendrive; if you're connecting it to your computer or a digital photo frame, it doesn't matter
But of course! I guess I was sort of assuming that if you use Linux, you know enough to load games onto your Prizm without a guide. Wink
Purobaz wrote:
I think it would be great to add 2 folders in the prizm/games archives. One for .g3a (C programs) and the other one for .g3m (basic programs).

I second this idea.
The instructions are a bit different for linux. Think of the prizm as an oversized flash drive; essentialy, these instructions are for flash drives in general as well. Step 1 and 3 are the same, but there's a step 4, and step 2 is different.

Step 2: Become root.
Make a new directory to mount the prizm to. The traditional places are /mnt and /media. I'll be using /media/prizm.
Run the command

Code:
dmesg|tail -n 30

and look for something like

Code:
[1363449.596735] scsi 25:0:0:0: Direct-Access     CASIO    ColorGraph       1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0 CCS
[1363449.597567] sd 25:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
[1363449.598063] sd 25:0:0:0: [sdb] 32915 512-byte logical blocks: (16.8 MB/16.0 MiB)

The [sdb] bit is what you want. It may be different depending on your computer. The actual device is /dev/whatever1, where whatever is what you got from dmesg. So my device would be called /dev/sdb1
Run the command

Code:
mount -f vfat /dev/sdb1 /media/prizm

substituting the values you got earlier.

Note: This will only allow you to use the filesystem if you are root. To transfer the files normally (recommended) use

Code:
mount uid=user gid=user -f vfat /dev/sdb1 /media/prizm

where user is your username

Another Note: The calc disconnects after a minute if you don't mount it, so it may take a few tries.

Step 4: After you've copied the files, linux hasn't actualy written anything to the calc yet. To tell it that we're done with the device, and that it should write all the changes, run the command

Code:
umount /media/prizm

Note: it's umount NOT unmount

Another Note: You may need to press AC/ON on the prizm to make it disconnect
I use Ubuntu, and for me the Prizm has been always automatically mounted as a USB flashdrive. I see no need for those complicated commands unless you use the bare kernel (i.e. not a distro) or a distro that's so minimalistic that doesn't even provide a GUI tool for mounting filesystems, if it doesn't do it automatically (which is what most distros do nowadays).

On many popular distros I find that you no longer need to be root to mount (at least some) filesystems.

When you "eject" (umount+USB turnoff) that flashdrive, the Prizm recognizes that as well, no need for pressing AC/ON.
gbl08ma wrote:

When you "eject" (umount+USB turnoff) that flashdrive, the Prizm recognizes that as well, no need for pressing AC/ON.

seana11 wrote:

Another Note: You may need to press AC/ON on the prizm to make it disconnect

Little word... very important. The prizm doesn't always recognize an eject for whatever reason. I've only had it fail to do so once, though, and I can't reproduce the error.
gbl08ma wrote:
I use Ubuntu, and for me the Prizm has been always automatically mounted as a USB flashdrive.

You have fstab set up, then. Some users may not.

gbl08ma wrote:
I see no need for those complicated commands unless you use the bare kernel (i.e. not a distro) or a distro that's so minimalistic that doesn't even provide a GUI tool for mounting filesystems

The gui may differ, but the commands will always be the same.
Im using a Mac, os X.
I plug my cg 20 into the computer, choose the F1 option.
But it doesn't appear anywhere on my computer as a removable drive.
The calculator should connect automatically to the mac. After it is plugged in it will show up in the middle of your files on the desktop.
Rnvt9 wrote:
Im using a Mac, os X.
I plug my cg 20 into the computer, choose the F1 option.
But it doesn't appear anywhere on my computer as a removable drive.

when you plug it in, do you get the blue loading bar on your calc?
[Deleted by user]
OLWNaturell wrote:
How do you get a piece of programming code into your calculator? I've got a Casio fx-cg20 and I've gotten a code online and id like to import it.

Put that code in a txt file, connect the calculator to the computer over USB (press F1 on the calculator when prompted), then put the txt file in the following folder in the calculator: @MainMem\Program. The file will be converted to a program after safely disconnecting the calculator.

If you don't put it in the right folder, I believe you can also manually import it by going into the Programs menu, pressing F6 then F4 (Load) and selecting the txt file with the program you'd like to import.
okay I've don't that. But when i go into my programs and run that one i get a syntax error is that due to a failure in the code or because i imported it incorrectly?
Probably because of an error in the code. I'll import it and let you know.
EDIT: apparently the error is because the program has spaces at the end of every line. I'm not sure but some forum software (eventually Cemetech's) put them there, or a browser decided to add them when copying and pasting.
EDIT 2: I took off the spaces, here's a file without them:
https://gist.github.com/gbl08ma/e76669fb33cf3c875eed/raw/96fd1c2e27a1898083ee0fce376c13d5107400fa/gistfile1.txt

Make sure to do "Save as" instead of copying and pasting the contents.
Yay Thank you so much Smile I'm very surprised about how nice everybody is on this forum Smile
good find on the fix....here is something to remember after runnung this program and dont ask me why it does it but it transfers all your answers to the statistics app .So everytime you use this program you will have to delete whats in the statistics app because your answers in the trisolve will differ if you dont

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours