As some of you know, I recently got a PIC18F4XK20 development board. The black bar on the right side is actually a PICtail Header port, but it seems as if I can interface with each of the little connections individually, and it looks exactly like a mini breadboard. If I can in fact use it as a breadboard, I would like to try to connect one of my PS/2 keyboards to it. However, I have absolutely no idea how to interface using PS/2. I tried looking at the pinouts (here), but I am even more confused now than I was starting out. I'd like to know how to get the ASCII value of the character currently being pressed on the keyboard (and if I need to know how to do anything else to do this, I'd also like to know about these things).
PS/2 hardware and protocol interfaces.
Basically, four of the six pins are used: two for data, one for ground, and one for power. The protocol is a serial protocol, and follows a well-defined format in both directions. Also, PS/2 keyboards and mice use the same protocol; the only thing that's different is the messages sent. Also what Tari said.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours