Jon: I understand where you're coming from about Zoom and this, I guess what I was saying was not so much the objective fact that they are selling it as that they are making it a paid program that people WILL buy not realizing they can get similar or superior software for free on ticalc.org or other "community" sites. Re: the "community" thing: I agree that the term is VERY loose and getting looser by the month as there's more infighting between programmers and sites.

Kllrnohj: I do indeed favor the community, although I think at this point it's almost better for the community to start over from scratch, look at the influx of Josh Frisby-type authors. I didn't mean to imply that I favor free speech type programs, in fact I am somewhat in favor of hidden source as opposed to closed source. That is, I don't actively publish my source. But if someone comes to me asking to see portions or even my whole source for legitimate reasons, I always gladly share. In addition, I have often gotten code fragments in the same way from other established community programmers who protect their code but are happy to share to help the production of an upcoming project.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Kuro wrote:
Correction: There is nothng wrong with chraging for a program if and only if the program is really worth the amount that is being charged. In this case, it isn't.

NO. that is NOT true. There is nothing wrong with charging tons for a program, as long as it does what it claims. Look at photoshop, it costs upwards of $800, and can only do slightly more than gimp, but there is nothing wrong with that. Heck, look at windows home vs. pro - pro can only do slightly more, but costs another $100 or so, and people will still buy pro over home, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Agreed. I have now decided to charge $1000/program for people to download my programs, reflecting this statment.
kllrnohj wrote:
And how dare you make the claim that the program isn't worth it? Have you purchased it and tried it?

Have you?
Actually, Jon and I both downloaded the trial version and tried it. We evaluated it based on that and the extra features they said the paid edition had.
Still seems like a waste of $25 to me.
Kuro wrote:

Agreed. I have now decided to charge $1000/program for people to download my programs, reflecting this statment.
kllrnohj wrote:
And how dare you make the claim that the program isn't worth it? Have you purchased it and tried it?

Have you?

Go for it.

I haven't tried it, but I'm not calling it good, crappy, or anything like that like you were.
Yeah, and I'm sorry Kllrnohj, I didn't mean to offend your sense of the worth of free as in free-ideals software, I too value such programs for the computer but am not sure if it's the way to go for calculators. The differing sizes of the communities seem to be the main reasons one way or another to me. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
Actually, Jon and I both downloaded the trial version and tried it. We evaluated it based on that and the extra features they said the paid edition had.

I did? Rolling Eyes
Confused You said you did... I did, anyway Cool
No, I never did... Laughing
kllrnohj wrote:
I haven't tried it, but I'm not calling it good, crappy, or anything like that like you were.

I never said it was crappy. I said it was a waste of $25 and isn't worth it anyways. It seems useful, but overpriced and grossly underpowered.
I really don't want to add fuel to the fire, but...

TI charges for some applications.

Also, I think it would be kind of...dumb/strange... that a person would quit a full time job to develop software, for a calculator. I mean, come on. Most of the people that OWN a TI graphing calculator is A TEENAGER!! Most teenagers don't have money to blow on a program like this. Other teens wouldn't have a clue on how to install it. And I would say 60% of teens in highschool/college either aren't aware these calcs can play games and use these programs, or just don't care.

If they can get it to work, and this guy can support himself off of what he makes, I say let him go for it.

As for me, I will never charge for a game, no matter how well made, or how long it takes me to make it.
I think it may be time to close this thread. May I get a second?
Does closing it count? Razz
Doesn't look to closed to me, I probably got here in between you posting and closing it. Smile

Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours