11%  [ 2 ]
Desktops are for wusses, I boot to tty1
 5%  [ 1 ]
GNOME 3
 0%  [ 0 ]
E17
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 18

I've tried the modern versions of all the DEs. I must say that I like xfce the best, though.

I first started out with KDE. I liked how it had a familliar interface out of the box, and had tons of tools and games. I really liked crusader, as well. All this was well and good, but I discovered that it was slowly eating up my CPU cycles. The problem with KDE is that it's become bloated to the point of using up all the processing power of a computer, even on a midrange one.

GNOME I tried next. I was bewildered by an unfamilliar interface, and not being able to configure even basic aspects of the UI (Such as panel osition) without another package. Even then, I was put off by it's strange way of organizing stuff in the menu(Alphabetacally, not Fuctionally.) It was also almost as heavy on processing power as KDE.

Finally, I tried xfce. Immediately I noticed the lack of the bloat of KDE, and the intuitiveness of the interface. I like how I could right-click on the panel, and change everything around. It had easy ways to add just what I wanted, unlike in GNOME where I had to wrench it into doing what I wanted, not what the designers thought looked best. It was also lightweight, no sucking up all the cycles. It includes only 20 programs, unlike the hundreds in KDE.

I think this clearly sets xfce above everything else, except maybe lxde. Xfce includes a few features that lxde doesn't have, but lxde is almost twice as light. This makes it better for smaller systems, but xfce has a larger support base. GNOME and the Kool Desktop Environment don't have anything on xfce. Light, fast, and functional; What else could I want?
JWM.
GNOME, KDE, XFCE, and LXDE all have WMs - your poll is bad.
The poll has been edited for more awesome.

[edit]

Why is this in politics/rants? Moved.
elfprince13 wrote:

[edit]

You put Windows Explorer up there as an option? That's like listing McDonald's as an option in a poll on favorite gourmet foods...
DShiznit wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

[edit]

You put Windows Explorer up there as an option? That's like listing McDonald's as an option in a poll on favorite gourmet foods...

LOL Yeah.

But from my experience, XFCE is the best for me. (Customization, speed, compositing/transparency, themes)
I use a WM by itself (Awesome), and I love it. XFCE is pretty good, though Smile
I voted "Desktops are for wusses, I boot to tty1". I maintain a screen session with tabs for nine of my different servers and applications that I use for work, for my projects, for old servers I maintain, and for Cemetech services. Sadly, I'm stuck with Windows on my tablet PC (#$%^& Linux Wacom drivers). I rock Gnome/Unity on my Netbook.
DShiznit wrote:

I'd take Windows Aero over any of those WMs *any* day. Aero snap + real multi monitor support is unmatched by anything I've used to date.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours