So, my prizm died... sad, exactly. -- The USB part, not the entire thing.

If I connect the prizm to a PC, here is what I get:
Code:
usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 38
usb 2-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71
usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 39
usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 40
usb 2-2: device not accepting address 40, error -71
usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 41
usb 2-2: device not accepting address 41, error -71
hub 2-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 2
Don't say "reset/reboot" or anything, already did that. This is a $45 prizm from bestbuy :-\ Nothing is wrong with all 5 of my PCs at the same time, either.
Well, at least now we know what a broken Prizm is - the only other failure I've heard of, was with a friend's Prizm, which had to be sent back for repair because it had stopped recognizing any keyboard presses (it took a motherboard replacement).

Can you please elaborate on what happens (what shows on the screen, if anything at all) when you put on the batteries, press the reset button or the AC/ON key? Does it do anything when you connect the USB? Does it send out any information over the 3-pin port (such as an error code?).
Sorry for asking all this, but I'm really curious about this Smile
I have no serial cables, so if anything happens over IO, then all I can make out of it is beep boop Razz

The prizm looks fine. The PC looks fine. libusb says otherwise. The prizm is in it's factory-default state.
I guess I'm lucky enough to have a 3-pin<>Serial cable from an old (80s) Casio SF-9500 organizer, cable which is compatible with the Prizm Smile
I am proceeding to clean out everything. I am getting another USB cable, instead of the provided one and cleaning the usb ports on the calc. I hope something helps
But why do you say it is dead? (sorry, I missed the chat)
The USB part of the prizm is dead, as implied by the USB errors on the OP. The prizm can run add-ins just fine, it just cannot use the USB reliably.
Well, in that case, I'd suggest opening the Prizm and seeing if the USB connector is well-soldered, if it is clean... something you already plan on doing, probably.
Were you programming and mistyped something and sent a command where it wasn't suppose to go?
Nope. it seems like the USB connector is faulty inside the prizm, i will see about tweeking it.
I know you probably already know about this and tried it, and furthermore you say the USB connector is broken, but anyway here it goes, even because it might help someone in the future:

When the Prizm does not show the prompt for selecting USB mode once the cable is connected, there's a way to start a USB memory connection manually. Go to the Link function, set the cable parameter to USB (F4 then F1), then press F2 to "receive" (with the cable connected to the PC).

If the Prizm recognizes the USB, it should enter the USB memory mode. If not, it will do nothing. In this case, yeah, looks like the USB controller or the USB connector is broken...
gbl08ma, very good tips all around.

AHelper wrote:
Nope. it seems like the USB connector is faulty inside the prizm, i will see about tweeking it.
It shouldn't be too bad, hopefully; while you're at it, I wouldn't mind some photographs to see if your hardware and my early Prizm's hardware (and my newest "free" Prizm's hardware) are identical or different.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours