Right now I am trying to get GameBoy Color emulators on my Prizm. I can transfer the file but the Prizm doesnt recognize the file so it thinks its not there. Is there any way I can convert the gba file to g3a so my prizm regognizes it? Is there already gba emulators for the prizm?
JonTehVIP wrote:
Right now I am trying to get GameBoy Color emulators on my Prizm. I can transfer the file but the Prizm doesnt recognize the file so it thinks its not there. Is there any way I can convert the gba file to g3a so my prizm regognizes it? Is there already gba emulators for the prizm?

There are no emulators for the GBA for the prizm right now. I had at one point considered starting on one, but there's no point until the prizm can be over clocked to a better speed anyways. Seems you're outta luck; as a side note, there definitely cannot be a g3a <-> GBA conversion tool, both are machine specific executables written for different processors that aren't any bit alike. An emulator would be needed for the hardware and basic low level software of a GBA for that to work.
Ashbad wrote:
JonTehVIP wrote:

There are no emulators for the GBA for the prizm right now. I had at one point considered starting on one, but there's no point until the prizm can be over clocked to a better speed anyways. Seems you're outta luck; as a side note, there definitely cannot be a g3a <-> GBA conversion tool, both are machine specific executables written for different processors that aren't any bit alike. An emulator would be needed for the hardware and basic low level software of a GBA for that to work.

Thanks. I was just wondering because my friend got a GBA emulator on his TI-NSPIRE. And i figured that it would be pretty cool to play some pokemon during geometry. but anyways, what are some of the best games for the Prizm at this time. I have Sink, Tetrizm, and Minesweeper right now, any others?
Theoretically, the calculator is able to support a emulator Smile

Prizm Specs Vs Gameboy Color vs Advance

http://prizmwiki.omnimaga.org/wiki/Casio_Prizm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy_Color#Specifications
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy_Advance#Technical_specifications

In reality, The operating system that it brings, does not take maximum advantage of the hardware Mad
I agree that the Prizm can easily support a Gameboy Color emulator; I don't think that the hardware is too slow to build something decent. However, it may be necessary to code the core of the emulator in native SH3/4 ASM, I believe, which will make writing such an emulator significantly more difficult.
What about memory constraints? I thought the biggest part of memory for Archive wasn't usable with programs running or some such? It's been a long while since that was discussed, so I wasn't sure..
Right, which is why one goal in mind when I'm dissecting all of this stuff is how to access more paged memory. It seems weird, and I don't understand it all, but then again, the first time I learned about paged memory on the TI-84, it took Brandonw like 10 tries just to get it straight in my head. Poor guy...

Anyway, it's why I'm learning SH3 and C. Oh, and another reason why I'm writing a disassembler. Very Happy
What's to understand? You have a bunch of different pages, each of which can be paged into the same address space, so any given address can refer to the same offset on each of the pages. Wink I think the question is more whether the Prizm has enough memory, paged or unpaged, to pull an emulator off.
KermMartian wrote:
What's to understand? You have a bunch of different pages, each of which can be paged into the same address space, so any given address can refer to the same offset on each of the pages. Wink I think the question is more whether the Prizm has enough memory, paged or unpaged, to pull an emulator off.

I understand the general concept, but I don't understand the way the prizm does it. It seems the g3a is like an app or something. I'll look more up later.
There is a gameboy emulator for ClassPad, and is open source

would not be possible to adapt it a bit to work on a casio prizm?

emulator sources -> http://vhn.vn/u/CasioMiscSrc.rar
What processor does the Classpad use?
Afaik all the casio calc's use SuperH based processors, so it should be possible to port assuming we have all the required syscalls or at least can fake the ones we are missing.
DJ_O wrote:
What processor does the Classpad use?

I just got a reply to that on UCF:

cfxm wrote:

When the ClassPad 300 was being developed, an SH-4 processor would probably have been too power-consuming. I guess, it's an early SH-3 with higher frequency than on the fx-9860G models.

Some observations:

The fx-9860G models were released in early 2005.
The ClassPad 300 Plus was released in late 2005.

The fx-9860GII-2 models were released in mid 2011.
The ClassPad 330 Plus was released in early 2012.

Obviously, they updated their processor with each new fx-9860G hardware revision.
The ClassPad 330 uses 300 Plus hardware.

My conclusion is as follows:

Code:
2003: ClassPad 300  -> SH7291 [SH-3 ] (This is what CP Manager reports)
2005: ClassPad 300+ -> SH7337 [SH-3 ] (Same as on fx-9860G)
2007: ClassPad 330  -> SH7337 [SH-3 ] (Same as on fx-9860G Slim)
2009: ------------- -> SH7355 [SH-3 ] (Same as on fx-9860GII)
2012: ClassPad 330+ -> SH7305 [SH-4A] (Same as on fx-9860GII-2)

Now that we can overclock the prizm, would a GB emu be feasible?
*Necrobump*
Perhaps this is portable to Prizm?
Huge bump...

With the intention of seeing if the Prizm would be fast enough to even emulate a Z80 at the speed even the original GameBoy requires (~4 MHz), I put together a quick test using https://github.com/anotherlin/z80emu

It appears that the emulated CPU runs at ~7 MHz (compiling with -Ofast, but using -Os would not make much difference) when the Prizm is running at the default clock speed (58 MHz). Of course, I have no idea if this particular Z80 emulator implementation is fast (I picked the one that seemed the easiest to test with right away) or if the code generated by GCC is the most optimized for this use case. I would say an emulator is doable even without overclocking, especially if tricks like http://prizm.cemetech.net/index.php/Non-blocking_DMA are used.
This would be just awesome. I don't remember ever keeping any games on the calculators but anything with proper Mario would be a definite keeper
gbl08ma wrote:
Huge bump...

With the intention of seeing if the Prizm would be fast enough to even emulate a Z80 at the speed even the original GameBoy requires (~4 MHz), I put together a quick test using https://github.com/anotherlin/z80emu

It appears that the emulated CPU runs at ~7 MHz (compiling with -Ofast, but using -Os would not make much difference) when the Prizm is running at the default clock speed (58 MHz). Of course, I have no idea if this particular Z80 emulator implementation is fast (I picked the one that seemed the easiest to test with right away) or if the code generated by GCC is the most optimized for this use case. I would say an emulator is doable even without overclocking, especially if tricks like http://prizm.cemetech.net/index.php/Non-blocking_DMA are used.

Even if you're not the one to do it (which I hope you do), I hope that someone eventually makes a Gameboy emulator for the Prizm. Honestly, I would, but I'm not skilled in emulation or anything of that sort.
Well, I was trying to make a Gameboy Emu based on this, and everything was going fine until I got this error:

Code:
region `ram' overflowed by 353700 bytes

So, unless you guys can give me some useful insight, it doesn't look like I'm gonna be able to do it. :/ Oh well. Razz
Spenceboy - you'll need to provide a little more information that that. I assume you're not using JavaScript for a Prizm-based project.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours