I think as long as the movement is subtle it would be fine.
merthsoft wrote:
I think as long as the movement is subtle it would be fine.

That's basically what I'm thinking, though I'm not sure what type of movement I would be making; probably just a small wave flicker/crash in 2-3 frames.
Showing off a few more tiles. Wasn't thinking of posting this, but zzCorrode threatened me with my life and said if I didn't post it, I would wake up dead. (not really, bu meh)

Ashbad wrote:
Showing off a few more tiles. Wasn't thinking of posting this, but zzCorrode threatened me with my life and said if I didn't post it, I would wake up dead. (not really, bu meh)

I did threaten him. SRSLY.
There's a reason I didn't want to post it, and now I see it; I used the wrong bridge tiles in col 2, row 7 or 8 or so, and the left side of the fence there uses a T shape tile, not the intended I-left one. Nothing huge, and nothing wrong with my tiles, just sucky map making by me. Well, only 3 minutes wasted anyways.
Well, a somewhat-okay and kind of rough pixel art of what the main protagonist looks like, that is, Lord Mikhail:

While it (likely) won't be used in game, I made it in an hour to practice drawing larger sized sprites, and because I don't care to show you my sketch Razz Next, of course, will be a larger sprite of Trio as well, based on a (much better) sketch.
well, I've been on hiatus with this for a month or two, silently improving my spriting and drawing skills, as well as coming up with some cool concept designs for enemies, bosses, dungeons, and various sections of the overworld (which, is being redesigned to flow better between different kinds of environments). Since all quests must begin with set benchmarks, there are 7 main dungeons, the final dungeon, and another one that I will definitely implement at a later time (as a partial joke, and as a partial homage). Things are going well, but I don't plan on posting any concept pictures or demo videos/builds until after spring break (sometime after April 11th).
Big music update.

I have switched to using the Game Boy sound chip via a tracker known as Little Sound DJ. At the moment, all music is being composed on an actual "gray brick," aka the DMG-01, aka the original Game Boy. No emulation, actual hardware. Authenticity FTW.

As of right now, both Graveyard themes are finished (world and dungeon), the Underwater world theme is basically done, the town theme is totally finished, and I threw together a little File Select tune just for fun.

That brings me to 5 of 20 to 30 tracks Ashbad and I have planned for this. Which is to say, he threw me a list of 15, and I patched up a few musical holes. ^^

All tracks will be uploaded as soon as I have consistent computer access, which should be in a matter of months. 2 or 3, actually.

Ashbad, keep up the awesome work. This had better not be vaporware, I'm working hard on it too! Razz
That's an incredibly awesome update. I'm afraid that for a while it turned into vaporware, but with your glorious return, I have switched back to close-to-full production on it Very Happy I'm going back and working on the graphics more, and will eventually start working on the main engine again. Hopefully I'll be able to get a full engine working in a month or so ^_^
Hey Ashbad. It's been a while since I've seen this since I don't frequent Cemetech. I have to say that this is looking quite good since you have begun colorizing your tiles. It is indeed very difficult to create contrast using only 4 shades of gray. :/ I really like how it's looking right now, it really reminds me of a gameboy color title. If I may add an opinion about the water tiles; I think it would look nice if you had them animate similarly to how they did in the Legend of Zelda series on gameboy or the Dragon Warrior I remake on gameboy.
Art_of_camelot wrote:
Hey Ashbad. It's been a while since I've seen this since I don't frequent Cemetech. I have to say that this is looking quite good since you have begun colorizing your tiles. It is indeed very difficult to create contrast using only 4 shades of gray. :/ I really like how it's looking right now, it really reminds me of a gameboy color title. If I may add an opinion about the water tiles; I think it would look nice if you had them animate similarly to how they did in the Legend of Zelda series on gameboy or the Dragon Warrior I remake on gameboy.

Thank you, and thanks for the input Smile I'm going to play around with the water to see what I can make of it in terms of animation.
Well, in a random attack of quality control, I deleted all of my T+N files today. My skills have improved significantly since I tracked those songs, and I want to make grade-A music for a game that's sure to match. So, while this is a minor setback in the short-term, in the long-term it will lead to a better finished product.

Besides, it's not like I have to keep up with Ashbad's engine progress, anyway. Razz
Same here actually, more RE: pixel art. I've improved an incredible amount in the past month or two, and I want to throw out all the crap I currently have (for example, the tiles could be improved by an incredible degree, and that character I posted a few months ago a few posts up is absolutely hideously done)
So I finally got to work on some music...

http://soundcloud.com/page-of-melody/trio-and-niko-random-draft
JustCause wrote:

That music sounds really good. I am to assume that this would be used as either a title screen theme or music for a major boss. What other music have you composed for this?
Compynerd255 wrote:
JustCause wrote:

That music sounds really good. I am to assume that this would be used as either a title screen theme or music for a major boss. What other music have you composed for this?

I didn't initially see this as appropriate for either of those uses, but I gave it some thought and I suppose it fits. The final decision is Ashbad's, naturally.

Regarding my other music, I've actually been working on quite a lot for this, but I've constantly aware that my tracks could always be better, and so they get deleted from time to time. A few posts up, I mentioned nuking everything and starting over, and that's basically the state I'm in right now.
Actually, I could see that (much softer, and perhaps a tad slower) as ambient music as well. Either way, it sounds nice, energetic and slightly triumphant.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 4 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours