Should Cemetech have an Anime section?
Yes, although I wouldn't participate
 12%  [ 3 ]
Yes, and I will actively participate
 20%  [ 5 ]
I have no feelings either way.
 28%  [ 7 ]
No, it deviates too far from our hw/sw dev core.
 36%  [ 9 ]
No, for the reason I express below.
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 25

Two Cemetech users recently expressed their desire for an Anime subforum within Cemetech. They feel that many of Cemetech's members share some degree of interest in various anime and related things, and that it would be nice to have a subforum for topics on the area. They further feel it might draw more users who are both anime fans and programmers to come discuss both. What do you think? Please vote and also post your comments.
So, you get upset when people discuss politics in the politics forum, but you want to add an Anime section? Hmm...
merthsoft wrote:
So, you get upset when people discuss politics in the politics forum, but you want to add an Anime section? Hmm...
I don't want an Anime section; I'm being open-minded about a suggestion brought to me by two members of the forum who have long supported the site in spirit and in effort.
One question, does My Little Pony count as anime?
From a strict (English-speaking) definition, no. Since concessions must always be made, I'd say it would be welcome, especially if we consider there is significant fanbase overlap.
I'm strongly against making a purely "Anime Section". If we happened to make a "NerdTV" forum for ALL of the Doctor Who/Stargate/BSG/Star Trek/Anime/GomTV topics, I'd be okay with it. In terms of fandom-intensity, I'm pretty sure BrandonW, tifreak (writing a Stargate/Star Trek crossover novel) and I/the elfprincess can pull our weight against the combined forces of the anime fans. And Doctor Who fans aren't doing so bad either.
elfprince13 wrote:
I'm strongly against making a purely "Anime Section". If we happened to make a "NerdTV" forum for ALL of the Doctor Who/Stargate/BSG/Star Trek/Anime/GomTV topics, I'd be okay with it.

This makes sense to me. (Background: I initially proposed this idea.) It may be that the commonality between each of the groups you mentioned is too small to make such a subforum a very vibrant place, but the only way to really find out is by implementing it.

The 'NerdTV' label has the bonus of being catchier than anything I could come up with, too. Smile
I'm against such an idea as I feel it deviates way more than this forum should. I'm also a fairly biased as I find anime incredibly (and socially) awkward; it doesn't help that I live in Fanime city and really close to it's epicenter with dozens of friends in their 20's and 30's who loyally attend.
If you must I think it should be open to films/TV in general; with the current community it would probably edge towards a science fiction/fantasy bias in any case, but at least not be restricted to a fairly narrow area of interest.
I would love for there to be an anime section, but it might be a little too specific for some of our members. Maybe we could rename the Reviews subforum (which isn't posted in often) so that it's a subforum for both TV shows (anime included) and movies.
elfprince13 wrote:
I'm strongly against making a purely "Anime Section". If we happened to make a "NerdTV" forum for ALL of the Doctor Who/Stargate/BSG/Star Trek/Anime/GomTV topics, I'd be okay with it. In terms of fandom-intensity, I'm pretty sure BrandonW, tifreak (writing a Stargate/Star Trek crossover novel) and I/the elfprincess can pull our weight against the combined forces of the anime fans. And Doctor Who fans aren't doing so bad either.

I am too lazy to actually make my own post so instead I quote people and then don't say anything new
Given the response thus far, it looks like most everybody would be happy with something that amounts to a rework of the reviews subforum to target more active discussion of current media, rather than its current (and largely neglected) use as a recommendation soapbox.
Tari wrote:
Given the response thus far, it looks like most everybody would be happy with something that amounts to a rework of the reviews subforum to target more active discussion of current media, rather than its current (and largely neglected) use as a recommendation soapbox.

That was only suggested once and more than TV/Movies may be posted there but I agree. Reviews are hardly posted and I see no reason why TV/Movie reviews couldn't still be expressed in the newly renamed section.
While on the subject of changing things around with subforums, could we take the technology open topic and change it to Technology and Science? Give it a broader scope to cover.
I like the idea of reworking the current Reviews section; I think that would be a good compromise given the discussion so far. TIFreak8x, do you think there's enough Science activity in the current subforum to warrant the name change?
I like the idea of having a place on this forum where we could talk about anime, but I don't want to have a purely "Anime Subforum" because that feels like it would make everything too specialized (And, I know quite a few people who would _never_ join if they saw the word "anime" on the subforum list, but still people who would join _because_ of the word "anime"...). I'm all for changing Reviews to NerdTV, though I'd also like to be able to use it for reviews, still (I want to review a book soon, when I finish it).
KermMartian wrote:
I like the idea of reworking the current Reviews section; I think that would be a good compromise given the discussion so far. TIFreak8x, do you think there's enough Science activity in the current subforum to warrant the name change?

Science is a very very broad subject. I'd like a better place to discuss the interesting finds that I see online that are ancient discoveries. Can't deny that the Technology open topic is labeled that well for it, but it seems to be the closest subforum for such things. I think if it were there, people might use it more.
I would say the nerd TV is a good idea. Not just anime, but a wider spectrum.
What about TV shows that aren't Nerdy? And what about movies?
No. Absolutely no anime sections.
I come to Cemetech to program, not submit myself to more "NARUTO IS BEST GUISE" garbage that I heard all the frickin' time.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours