Along with large swathes of the internet, Cemetech has joined websites large and small in speaking out against the Stop Online Piracy Act and the Protect Intellectual Property Act, SOPA and PIPA, two bills currently under consideration in the US legislature. If you've somehow managed to avoid every single protest and piece of news about these two bills, they both purport to defend creative Americans and American businesses against the scourges of piracy and counterfeiting, yet will only serve to destabilize the fabric that holds the internet together and usher in wide governmental powers to censor the global internet. We strongly urge you to voice your opposition to SOPA and PIPA, for with such legislation signed into law, sites like Cemetech will quickly disappear either from legal battles about user-posted content or to avoid such costly litigation. We stand with Wikipedia, Google, Reddit, the EFF, Wired, and all the other tech firms and websites holding their ground against this attack on the internet.

In other news, a mere four days remain until the end of Cemetech Contest 8, focused on arcade games. We're accepting games written for TI calculators, for the Casio Prizm, and in a few select computer programming languages. A bit over a month ago, we had fourteen intrepid members entering the contest; by now, I hope we have many more. Don't forget, you MUST complete your entry by Sunday, January 22nd, 2012 at 11:59:59pm Eastern Standard Time, and submit it to the contest judges. Every entry must contain the source and executable of the program (except for BASIC programs), a readme in plain text format, and be packaged into a zip file. Best of luck to all the contestants!
Hey, would it be possible to be able to keep this as a theme? I really like the colors. And I don't mean for it to be THE theme, just one that is selectable.

Also, let's hope these evil bills are defeated.
tifreak8x wrote:
Hey, would it be possible to be able to keep this as a theme? I really like the colors. And I don't mean for it to be THE theme, just one that is selectable.

It's possible; I need to smooth out those corners in GIMP at some point, though. I'll also have to tease apart the stylesheet, although it is of course a very simple change.
I'm excited for the contest due date on Sunday Smile And of course, kill these bills, congressmen!

EDIT: can we publically self-release a demo of our game for the contest the day we turn it in?
Ashbad wrote:
I'm excited for the contest due date on Sunday Smile And of course, kill these bills, congressmen!
I'm excited to play your game! And yes, definitely we need to defeat these bills.

Quote:
EDIT: can we publically self-release a demo of our game for the contest the day we turn it in?
You cannot. Smile Releases are only allowed when results are released to avoid any sort of public bias.
I also hope to see those terribly written bills defeated and wish good luck to all the contest entrants.

My question is why aren't those corners already alpha-blended with transparency? Then you could easily change the background colors without this corner nonsense. And doing things like the green theme you did a while back would be so much easier.
KermMartian wrote:
Quote:
You cannot. Smile Releases are only allowed when results are released to avoid any sort of public bias.

Fair enough Smile I can definitely wait a week before public release.
TheStorm wrote:
My question is why aren't those corners already alpha-blended with transparency?

I asked the same question in a chat and the reason is that the style was sliced from an image. And when he tried to add the transparency the corners didn't look smooth.
KermMartian wrote:
tifreak8x wrote:

It's possible; I need to smooth out those corners in GIMP at some point, though. I'll also have to tease apart the stylesheet, although it is of course a very simple change.
^This. I actually prefer the site with the gray background, but maybe with the rounded corners I might actually do a switch, since I tend to like light text blocks over a dark background (possibly due to my long stay on MaxCoderz back when they still had the red portal) Razz

You would also need to fix the Topic review so it's not black text on black background. <_<
comicIDIOT wrote:
TheStorm wrote:
My question is why aren't those corners already alpha-blended with transparency?

I asked the same question in a chat and the reason is that the style was sliced from an image. And when he tried to add the transparency the corners didn't look smooth.
And I just discovered that because the header image is a 39KB JPG instead of a 330KB PNG, transparent corners will be somewhat challenging.
You can slice the top part off - or add a top - and make the middle a square cornered JPEG while the tops and bottoms are curved cornered PNG.
I have to program quite a lot on friday, saturday and sunday! Hopfully I manage to build in everything I planned!
comicIDIOT wrote:
You can slice the top part off - or add a top - and make the middle a square cornered JPEG while the tops and bottoms are curved cornered PNG.
Yup, that's what I was thinking as well. Smile Sorunome: better to have something that works properly and has some missing features than something that doesn't work, in my opinion; best of luck finishing by the deadline.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours