I've looked around on the internet for my answer already, as always so I don't have to bother you guys but couldn't find anything Sad

Kerm, I found the correct capacitor values for my project. The input capacitor is a .33uF, and the output is a .1uF. I picked up the .1uF at Radio shack and it is a Ceramic disk, dielectric. The .33uF that I am ordering off of amazon is a thru-hole Tantalum. I looked for the same exact capacitor, with different capacitance, but had no luck. How do I know if either of them are polarized or are non polar? I don't want to wire anything incorrectly. I checked the packaging for the .1uF, and the
amazon page for the .33uF. Neither told me if the unit was polarized. Sad
Ceramic disk capacitors have no polarity. Electrolytic capacitors, the blue or navy (usually) tubes with leads side by side coming out of the bottom, have a polarity; one side of the can is generally marked with a row of negative (-) signs.
Ok, thanks Kerm Smile
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015A6R06/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details
That is the pack of .33uF I ordered. I was wondering if they were polarized because of the uneven leads.
joshie75 wrote:
Ok, thanks Kerm Smile
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015A6R06/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details
That is the pack of .33uF I ordered. I was wondering if they were polarized because of the uneven leads.
Ah, tantalum caps are not ceramic capacitors. The polarity of tantalum capacitors must be observed; generally, the long lead is the positive one:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Electronics/Component_Identification#Tantalum_capacitors
Ahhh thought so. Thanks again Kerm, always saving me from sure failure!
joshie75 wrote:
Ahhh thought so. Thanks again Kerm, always saving me from sure failure!
The pleasure is mine; glad to help.
Be careful of the polarity of the electrolytic capacitor. If you connect one of these capacitors with the wrong polarity, it may explode (that was something I wanted to see while I was in the electronics lab, but the teacher didn't do it).
CharlieMAC wrote:
Be careful of the polarity of the electrolytic capacitor. If you connect one of these capacitors with the wrong polarity, it may explode (that was something I wanted to see while I was in the electronics lab, but the teacher didn't do it).
You have to drive a lot of voltage through an electrolytic capacitor backwards to trigger thermal runaway, in my experience. My worst (?) experience with capacitors was connecting an LED to a charged 10uF capacitor and causing it to abruptly and kinetically fail.
*Hopes they label polarity on package because is now scared to mess something up* LOL
joshie75 wrote:
*Hopes they label polarity on package because is now scared to mess something up* 0x5
Hehe, you'll be fine. Smile Just exercise proper caution, and be aware of components getting hot, smelling weird, or emitting sparks or smoke, and you should be ok.
KermMartian wrote:
My worst (?) experience with capacitors was connecting an LED to a charged 10uF capacitor and causing it to abruptly and kinetically fail.

Did that yield a Smoke Emitting Diode (soon to be a Friode) or a leaky capacitor?
Haha, nice ones, chronomex. It was an explosion-emitting diode; the capacitor was fine.
Electrolytic capacitors are designed to vent safely but still spurt vile-smelling steam if you abuse them. I'm sure anyone who's replaced old leaky capacitors are well aware of the lovely rotting fish aroma of hot electrolyte...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours