http://www.theorangeblock.org/forum/20-official-releases-a-news/35502-video-demonstrating-walking-in-tbgfreebuild.html

Also, the start of the song is nauseating on headphones.
Nice to see that the game has come this far now. Do you think it will be long before a playable demo could be released?
comicIDIOT wrote:
Nice! I know it's the LEGO physics but do you guys have any plans to make the walking less static? There's not much you could animate to help.

I made it, and even I don't think it's great. What it needs most is some dip in the walk, but even then I might compare it to some stills of a man running and walking to see if I can add more subtle movements that aren't captured yet. This is by no means finished.
IIRC, Lego Universe had very fluid animations. Or maybe I'm thinking of how character animation was done in of Lego Starwars.
Quote:
Nice! I know it's the LEGO physics but do you guys have any plans to make the walking less static? There's not much you could animate to help.

Quote:
IIRC, Lego Universe had very fluid animations. Or maybe I'm thinking of how character animation was done in of Lego Starwars.

Unfortunately, we can't have our cake and eat it too. We can either have a building-centric game where LEGO pieces behave like LEGO pieces, or we can have a game where all of the assets are premade and preanimated.

We'll let DShiznit's artistic sense govern the default set of animations, and release the stock skeleton in ms3d format so people who are so-interested can generate their own sets of DSQs.

Quote:
http://www.theorangeblock.org/forum/20-official-releases-a-news/35502-video-demonstrating-walking-in-tbgfreebuild.html

Also, the start of the song is nauseating on headphones.

Thanks for the news article. I apologize for the music choice if it's not to your liking, I just grabbed something from my library that was both CC and of appropriate length so it wouldn't be completely silent.

Quote:
Nice to see that the game has come this far now. Do you think it will be long before a playable demo could be released?

I suspect I'll be able to put more work into it this semester than I was able to last semester, since I'll have more CS and less physics and since I'll be scaling back the number of hours I have payed employment.
The motions didn't seem that bad to me, though the fact that the ground seemed to ignore his skis was more of my issue, I bet it would look better without them.

On another note, is the dude suppose to be the silvery color or is a bug you are still working on?

And do you have any work towards getting blocks place-able yet?

And finally, when setting up the server loading code make sure it is properly separated from the client side code as that is what caused quite a few issues when running my dedi iirc.
I think you guys are going to like what I have planned for making animations. Hell I'm giddy as a schoolgirl on prom night when I think of the possibilities. I've asked my father(who has a photography degree from the Art Institute of Philadelphia, and did some cool stuff there) to find an easy way to capture images of a person running, walking, and other basic stuff so I can try and imitate some of the more subtle details of human motion(or as best as can be done with the limited joint constraints of a block figure). Things I know I can improve on right away would include a dip when the legs are fully extended, as well as some shoulder movement when the arms pump. The meshes themselves won't deform, but I plan to take some liberties with the range of motion in the joints, like has been done in stop-motion using small bits of clay to secure parts in normally unattainable positions.
Lucas W wrote:
Ah yes, I forgot how frustrating ungrateful game players can be when they don't understand the years of work that goes into something like this. Thanks for the article, TOB guys. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
Lucas W wrote:
Ah yes, I forgot how frustrating ungrateful game players can be when they don't understand the years of work that goes into something like this. Thanks for the article, TOB guys. Smile

Elrune's concern was that the video didn't really help demonstrate much.
I'm getting way ahead of myself here, but when we make weapons, will we make each weapon have its own set of recoil? (like rocket shooters will have flyback launching, while guns have arm recoil)
Xyno76 wrote:
I'm getting way ahead of myself here, but when we make weapons, will we make each weapon have its own set of recoil? (like rocket shooters will have flyback launching, while guns have arm recoil)

Anything you can do now in TGE 1.2, you can do better in T3D.

Quote:
I think you guys are going to like what I have planned for making animations. Hell I'm giddy as a schoolgirl on prom night when I think of the possibilities. I've asked my father(who has a photography degree from the Art Institute of Philadelphia, and did some cool stuff there) to find an easy way to capture images of a person running, walking, and other basic stuff so I can try and imitate some of the more subtle details of human motion(or as best as can be done with the limited joint constraints of a block figure). Things I know I can improve on right away would include a dip when the legs are fully extended, as well as some shoulder movement when the arms pump. The meshes themselves won't deform, but I plan to take some liberties with the range of motion in the joints, like has been done in stop-motion using small bits of clay to secure parts in normally unattainable positions.

I'm very excited to see what you come up with =)

Quote:
ough the fact that the ground seemed to ignore his skis was more of my issue, I bet it would look better without them.

Those are there to show how I can arbitrarily put him together. I could have made one a flipper if I wanted to, but having both as skis helped get the skeleton set up.

Quote:
On another note, is the dude suppose to be the silvery color or is a bug you are still working on?

And do you have any work towards getting blocks place-able yet?

Quote:
The LDraw bricks are "in", in as much as they display in game. Right now I'm focused on getting an animated player model (which DShiznit is working on/helping with) and a character-design GUI. The next steps will be, as DShiznit said, getting the bricks to display correctly (coloring and fixing a few graphical glitches), and displaying a lot of them. Then I'll probably work on the building mechanics (this actually goes hand in hand with displaying a lot of them), and then some in game skeletal animations tools and vehicle/player-attribute configuration GUIs. Train mechanics will probably go here as well.

Quote:

And finally, when setting up the server loading code make sure it is properly separated from the client side code as that is what caused quite a few issues when running my dedi iirc.

Can you think of any specific instances of that problem in given subsystems?
Spent the first part of the afternoon getting the character preview box working in the main menu. Got sidetracked tracking down a crash in the Windows build that would trigger on exiting a mission. I think I found it, but the fix has required me to backport a good amount of TS and Material-related code from 1.1.

In other happy news, GarageGames has evidently hired a Mac developer to bring the newer releases of T3D up to speed on both platforms.
elfprince13 wrote:
Spent the first part of the afternoon getting the character preview box working in the main menu. Got sidetracked tracking down a crash in the Windows build that would trigger on exiting a mission. I think I found it, but the fix has required me to backport a good amount of TS and Material-related code from 1.1.

In other happy news, GarageGames has evidently hired a Mac developer to bring the newer releases of T3D up to speed on both platforms.

If the most up-to-date version doesn't yet work on Macintosh, why are you wasting your time on that platform? Maybe there's something I'm not understanding here, but wouldn't it be better to get it working on the platform it was made for, and THEN start nailing down cross-platform compatibility?
DShiznit wrote:
If the most up-to-date version doesn't yet work on Macintosh, why are you wasting your time on that platform? Maybe there's something I'm not understanding here, but wouldn't it be better to get it working on the platform it was made for, and THEN start nailing down cross-platform compatibility?

I have better things to do than spending all my hobby time in Visual Studio. What a crap-fest of an IDE.
elfprince13 wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

I have better things to do than spending all my hobby time in Visual Studio. What a crap-fest of an IDE.

So disliking one IDE in particular means the whole platform is not worth using?

I don't mean to dunk on your OS here but if the current version of the engine doesn't work on it yet, aren't you going to be spending a lot more time anyway when you have to upgrade everything?
DShiznit wrote:
So disliking one IDE in particular means the whole platform is not worth using?

I don't use the whole platform. I use the developer tools. But since they're pretty much crap, I avoid them as much as possible.

Quote:
I don't mean to dunk on your OS here but if the current version of the engine doesn't work on it yet, aren't you going to be spending a lot more time anyway when you have to upgrade everything?

No, because the code that I am writing at this point is both platform independent and pretty much independent from the other systems of the engine, and, critically, the ones that have gotten the most significant overhauls. I'm pretty much just going to have to update a few project files and do some merges in a few isolated files.

I would have had to do two upgrades by now anyway, since 1.1 was still pre-release when I bought my T3D license, and 1.2 has been released since then.

I recommend you watch it with the Annotations turned on.
That was an awesome vid! Especially loving the dune buggy Very Happy
tifreak8x wrote:
That was an awesome vid! Especially loving the dune buggy Very Happy

Thanks tifreak! I'm really excited with how everything is coming together. DShiznit has done a really fantastic jobwith the animations as well. I'd still have the minifig gliding around on skis without his help.
Double post, but.....fun image from today:

The character now loads into the playerpreview box automatically, on startup. Also I made it look sexy.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 14 of 17
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours