Hi all,

So heres my thought process: i have a wifi router downstairs and an internet- unconnected windows '98 in my room (dont hate, it runs like a windows 7). Does anyone know of a way to connect my iPod touch 4th generation to my PC via usb and use the iPod's internal wifi card as the wifi antenae for my PC? In other words, can i plug my ipod into my computer, open an app or program, and connect my PC to the wifi router through my ipod? Thanks for any replies.
Not a plain iPod Touch, no. I believe it's possible once it's jailbroken since I've heard similar stories with iPhones. But the biggest thing to look up is if the dock connector supports ethernet, like USB. If it does it's possible and likely already accomplished.
comicIDIOT wrote:
Not a plain iPod Touch, no. I believe it's possible once it's jailbroken since I've heard similar stories with iPhones. But the biggest thing to look up is if the dock connector supports ethernet, like USB. If it does it's possible and likely already accomplished.

Ok so look into jailbroken optiins... This just seemed easier than buying a wifi card for my PC since i already have the ipod
I'm thinking it may not be plausible. The iPod would need the hardware to accept an ethernet connection; it's likely just as simple as a wire or connection to the same port a wireless antennae connects to, but since the iPod Touch wasn't built for an ethernet connection, it is highly improbable that it would work.

I'll look into though.
comicIDIOT wrote:
I'm thinking it may not be plausible. The iPod would need the hardware to accept an ethernet connection; it's likely just as simple as a wire or connection to the same port a wireless antennae connects to, but since the iPod Touch wasn't built for an ethernet connection, it is highly improbable that it would work.

I'll look into though.

You can do Ethernet over USB. The thing you want to search for is "reverse tethering" by the way.
Thanks for the search term, it's appreciated. I didn't find anything initially but I'll search with this.

Kllrnohj wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:

I'll look into though.

You can do Ethernet over USB.

Quote:
But the biggest thing to look up is if the dock connector supports ethernet, like USB
If you can do USB tethering, you could try using MyWi or PdaNet. On my jailbroken iPhone 3G, both worked, but I don't know if they work on iPod Touches.
Kllrnohj wrote:
You can do Ethernet over USB. The thing you want to search for is "reverse tethering" by the way.

Considering "tethering" is the buzzword for what we used to call "using the phone as a modem for your PC" wouldn't "reverse tethering" imply using your PC as a modem for your phone? rcplanegy appears to want to use the regular sort, i.e. using his phone's Wi-Fi connection on his Windows 98 PC.
benryves wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:

Considering "tethering" is the buzzword for what we used to call "using the phone as a modem for your PC" wouldn't "reverse tethering" imply using your PC as a modem for your phone? rcplanegy appears to want to use the regular sort, i.e. using his phone's Wi-Fi connection on his Windows 98 PC.

Yeah, i want to use the ipods connection as a wireless modem to connect my PC to my wifi router. And where would i get MyWi or PdaNet?
MyWi and PdaNet are both on Cydia, and you need to jailbreak to download and install them.
benryves wrote:

Blargh, yes, my bad. It's just tethering, not reverse tethering.

I had reverse tethering on the mind since I had just dealt with it at work that day, heh.
alright, ill look into jailbreaking. Is it safe? Any suggestions to secure (and free) jailbreak sites much appreciated.
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/29/itether-app-offers-internet-tethering-on-your-iphone-for-one-time-fee/

I remembered that (above) app this morning. It's since been removed from the App Store but should be available in Cydia or Installous once you've jailbroken.

Jailbreaking is legal, but it's an exemption to the DMCA which is set to expire after three years (first paragraph), which is mid 2013. I'm not positive where Cemetech stands with providing such links and information to jailbreak devices, but a Google search will reveal some popular choices.
So a sort of associated topic:

Turns out my computer is a 2000 Me, not that it really changes anything. I was looking into dial up for my area, and turns out our phone service provider no longer supports dial up. Which got me thinking... The 1 plug i have in my room is a phone line, and theres another phone line plug in the room that my wifi router is in. Can i plug my computer into the phone jack, and through my home's phone lines, connect it into the ethernet port of my wifi router? Still unsure about jailbreaking, so im trying to figure out some alternatives. Thanks for the help.
I recommend some PowerLine Adapters. They distribute ethernet over your electrical plugs. I have one connected to the main router and the second is in my room connected to another router. The ones I linked to are the exact ones I purchased.

They've worked well, no setup on my end (They come with a "Secure Connection" feature which I haven't used; I think it's more for apartments or town homes). Belkin claims they can get pretty hot but I haven't had any issues with them yet, I check them a few times weekly.

It's a tad expensive but they're useful!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours