http://www.terraria.org/

Some of you have heard of this game before, but for those who haven't, it's a nifty little side-scrolling MMORPG Sandbox. I know that sounds absolutely dreadful, but it's actually surprisingly fun. You mine or farm for resources to build a structure or set of structures(like a village), and as you explore more of the map(East, West, Up(there are floating islands) and Down(going far enough takes you to hell) you collect better weapons and armor. As you collect resources you can even craft your own items. As you build up your structure or village, more and more NPCs will join you and provide services, as well as defense of whatever you've decided to build(which can range from your classic phallic troll structures to complex and beautiful Vatican-style Cathedrals and cities.

You can get it for $9.99 on Steam.

If you really don't have the money/need to test it first, there isn't any anti-piracy protection so there are illegitimate copies abound, however you won't get any support or updates and it's kind of a d!ck move.

At the moment, I play with a friend over Hamachi(network and pass may come soon, depends on what she thinks) and we're currently building a super skyscaper out of wood and stone(mostly wood right now, but I may layer stone outside to better protect from meteor strikes). I'll post screen composites if you guys are interested.
I played Terraria since release, but honestly not very much. Once I had collected most the the significant items and collected the best armer and built a base, there was just not much left to hold interest, and it hasn't been updated very frequently.

Then again, I'm inevitably comparing it to Minecraft when I try to imply that it lacks the same depth, or any depth. In the end, it's mostly about hoarding materials and erecting an impressive building, but there's not a lot of room to be creative in that game.

Plus, the way it hates multiplayer makes it absolutely necessary to run himachi just to join other servers.

Additionally, if you build a base at the original spawn, it is very unlikely a meteor will hit it for fairly convenient reasons, no dangerous terrain will generate at spawn.
meh, I played it too, but it wasnt very fun. I find minecraft is more enjoyable. Perhaps it is because the buildings you make in minecraft are in 3D, not 2D little squares..
I went through an intense Terraria phase... Got everything there was to get, saw everything there was to see, and haven't played since.
I bought it the day it came out. Love that game! Haven't played it in a couple months, though, and I've heard there's been an enormous amount of updates and all my worlds and such are probably all deprecated. Last time I updated, though, I lost my largest map Sad
*bump*

I love this game! ^_^
Especially since the 1.1.1 update.
My brother and I play it all the time, and we started a new group of people in a new world, and we are now trying to get to the top without cheating (going to a hacked world, getting the best stuff, trading/ giving the best weapons to each other, etc, count as cheating) and it is more fun this way.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours