I'm happy to announce that Cemetech has won two Program of the Year (POTY) awards in the annual ticalc.org contest to determine the year's most outstanding new calculator program releases. This year, several Cemetech programs were in the running, such as Benumbered 2.0 from user Cerzus69, and the Gossamer calculator web browser, the networked scorched-earth game Obliterate (now with a Prizm port), and globalCALCnet, all by Cemetech administrator and yours truly, Kerm Martian. I'm very happy to report that as shown on the POTY Winners 2011 page at ticalc.org, Gossamer won in the TI-83+/84+ category and globalCALCnet won in the PC category. Although the illustrious Doors CS was a competitor in the 2010 ticalc.org POTY, it unfortunately got outvoted by the Axe Parser, so this year marks Cemetech's first big POTY win along with the first double-win by an author in POTY history. I'm interested to note, as discussed by other Cemetech members, that though I was essentially competing against myself with Obliterate and Gossamer, than Gossamer was the natural winner, with 12 votes to Obliterate's 8 votes. Congratulations to all the winners around the community, great job even to those worthy contestants who did not win, and let's see even more Cemetech representation in next year's POTY!

More Information
ticalc.org 2011 POTY Winners
Nice marketing.
Woo, cemetech++

I am really glad that cemetech got so much coverage in the POTY this year. Much deserved to all who were involved Very Happy
seana11 wrote:
Nice marketing.

Nice comment. And if it wasn't clear, I'm being exceptionally sarcastic.

Congrats, Kerm, on the double win and feature on ticalc.org, you deserve the recognition for your hard work in the community and the achievements you've made in hardware and software development on the 83+ line of calculators.
I guess the double win makes up for last years POTY, eh? Smile
Congrats, Kerm! I am happy with globalCALCnet and Gossamer winning, and am impressed with the sheer number of votes you received. You polled over 40% of the votes in the most competitive category, the 83/84 programs. To put things in perspective, I polled less than one fifth of what you did, and I thought I did pretty good. Congratulations, Kerm, you did an amazing job.
Congrats, KermM! Very Happy Your hard work has (finally) paid off! Wink
(Just in time for the New Year too!)
I hope to see more interesting things from you this coming year! Very Happy
Celebrate big tonight Kerm, & Cemetech!
Thanks, everyone! I/we certainly plan to do so. Smile Ztrumpet, cheers, and I'm sorry that we can't all win. Smile Qazz, almost; I still consider Doors CS my flagship project and would love to get some future version, perhaps DCS 7.2, to be a POTY and more importantly, on all of the world's calculators. That may of course be a pipe dream. Daniel, many thanks; I hope that you too get the recognition you deserve when some of your long-time projects are released!
Congrats Kerm! Getting double POTY's for your Calcnet project is almost like getting them for DCS, since the one requires the other =)
elfprince13 wrote:
Congrats Kerm! Getting double POTY's for your Calcnet project is almost like getting them for DCS, since the one requires the other =)
Haha, an excellent point. Thanks for that, elfprince. Smile

Edit: Also, an interesting discussion from a community member about whether Gossamer actually deserved to win:

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/news/articles/14/147/147754.html
I disagree with him personally. Although I myself won't use my calc to browse the web, it's still a great achievement to be able to access online stuff on the calculator. Maybe it's his opinion, although I think he doesn't really realize the achievement behind certain tools, unlike many voters.
I do understand his point in some way. It's not such a useful tool because not many people are going to use this, IMHO.
But it deserves POTY because it's a great achievement and just a cool program. Wink
DJ_O wrote:
I disagree with him personally. Although I myself won't use my calc to browse the web, it's still a great achievement to be able to access online stuff on the calculator. Maybe it's his opinion, although I think he doesn't really realize the achievement behind certain tools, unlike many voters.
Indeed, I think, as I posted in the topic on ticalc.org, that people generally voted for what they thought was cool, new, and took a lot of effort on the part of the creator, rather than worrying about usefulness. Smile
That's what I pretty much do when I vote, especially for programs I can't directly try out. The poll question says, simply, “Your favorite ... program?” So the intention is for users to decide for themselves what program they like the best. It isn't required that you actually try the program, or judge it in various categories to decide, unless you want to.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours