Sorunome wrote:
The special thing of the zip-format is that it can be read "on the fly", that means that e.g. if you download one of these you can still open it is if it was a normal folder.
Other types to compress make the data even smaller, but they can't be used "on the fly".
Another proof that it is possible: on ticalc.org you can read all txt-files inside the zip thing. Smile
No, that's completely wrong. ticalc.org temporarily unzips files and extracts the one you requested when you click the preview of text files. Windows does something similar, as Souvik of course correctly pointed out. zip files are actually one of the worse formats in terms of compression factor and features.

Quote:
Question: how is downloading directly from cemetech.net possible when all the download archives are in zip format?
And ticalc.org, for that matter. The trick is that I will make each zip appear as a folder to Sandpaper, and when you click the "folder" that is that file", the server will download the zip, unzip it, and present the list, just as every zip viewer does.
Oh, sorry, I thought it was that way! Sad
Sorunome wrote:
Oh, sorry, I thought it was that way! Sad
No problem, the confusion is understandable considering the way that Windows shows them to you. It's just a clever trick of Windows programming, though. Smile
Well, I have a very weired bug:
It used to display the folders I created inside Doors, now it is a bit weired:
Instead of the folder name it displays #ERROR##
I don't know how that happened, all I did was trying out the ticalc bridge and went to that folder while I was connected.
After resetting my RAM it was still like that.
I think that you have a weird bug, not a wired bug. Wink Does this happen only when connected to the ticalc hub? What if you just browse your folders without being connected to anything?
It also happens when the calc isn't connected at all... Sad
Sorunome wrote:
It also happens when the calc isn't connected at all... Sad
Can you please email me your FLDSV7.8xk appvar? Also, what happened slash did you do in between folders showing up properly and the #ERROR## happening.
Ok so the other day I tried with DCS 7.2b2 and the gCn Client that came with it and didn't see ticalc.org listed. I had a random name hub. I tried today on OS 2.55MP instead of 2.53MP and it didn't show ticalc.org either. However with FTPHub it shows ticalc.org name in the list fine (after a few seconds of wait.)

Now I waited so it loads and it finally did after a while. I see grammer, os, asm, bbcbasi, basic and flash listed.

EDIT: Btw this is really awesome. I was happy to see this come out. One suggestion I have now is when pressing clear to cancel connection, it would be nice if it didn't exit the entire app completely, so we don't need to restart it again.
How much of a while? Click on any folder to go into it.

Edit: [CLEAR] on the slave disconnects; [CLEAR] on the master quits. You can click the [dis]connect icon on the title bar to disconnect from inside the master.
I didn't check, but now I did and it took 2 seconds.

Also how do I click the disconnect icon if when connecting, the arrow cursor cannot move at all? Confused

Also, I wonder how Sandpaper would have handled http://www.ticalc.org/pub/83plus/basic/games/ back in 2006 (before the directory split)?? Shock
An excellent question. Directories can have at most 511 entries in them, so for larger directories, the bridge is going to transparently divide up the big folders into multiple smaller folders.
*necrobump* Sandpaper is on my to-finish list for the summer, and since I'm a bit stuck with Graph3DP, I decided to pick it up again. I started with a bit of testing just to remember how far I got, and I found that I can create a non-fatal hang while the sender waits for confirmation to begin sending content by trying to send Phoenix3 to a calculator's archive. The problem does not occur if I send to RAM.
Somehow I completely missed the fact that Sandpaper can already browse ticalc.org archives. Thought it was just a planned feature Surprised

I can't seem to get it to connect though. ticalc.org never shows up in the connection dialog, and after a few seconds it just times out. (Same thing happens all the time when I use Sandpaper to connect to another calculator.) Is it an issue with OS 2.55MP?
Are you connecting to FTPHub, complete with proper capitalization? I also just restarted that hub's bridge to make sure that it's properly working. As far as I know, I worked around all of the issues in the two MP OSes and CALCnet, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
Just two small things I noticed when testing out the program:
When browsing the ticalc.org archives, pressing the up arrow to go up a directory returns to the root directory, not to the previous directory as it probably should.
Also, it would work better, I think, if scrolling happened an entire page (or an entire page minus one entry) at a time. Scrolling one-by-one is slow and tedious.
calcdude84se wrote:
Just two small things I noticed when testing out the program:
When browsing the ticalc.org archives, pressing the up arrow to go up a directory returns to the root directory, not to the previous directory as it probably should.
Nice catch; I can certainly implement that with a small bit of work.
Quote:
Also, it would work better, I think, if scrolling happened an entire page (or an entire page minus one entry) at a time. Scrolling one-by-one is slow and tedious.
Absolutely agreed, and this is something that I've been planning on changing for a while. It shouldn't be too much extra work.
KermMartian wrote:
*necrobump* Sandpaper is on my to-finish list for the summer, and since I'm a bit stuck with Graph3DP, I decided to pick it up again. I started with a bit of testing just to remember how far I got, and I found that I can create a non-fatal hang while the sender waits for confirmation to begin sending content by trying to send Phoenix3 to a calculator's archive. The problem does not occur if I send to RAM.
*super-necrobump* I've been very quietly (unless you hang out in IRC) working on getting Sandpaper ready for a 1.0 release, even though I had previously said I would not bother finishing it. Almost every aspect of the on-calculator client appears to be functioning:
* Sending and receiving files as master
* Sending and receiving files as slave
* Sending from and receiving into Archive
* Sending from and receiving into RAM
* Transferring programs, protected programs, non-named real/complex lists, named real/complex lists, real matrices, GDBs, pictures, groups, and appvars.

I am working on completing the ticalc.org gCn bridge so that you can download files directly from ticalc.org to your calculator with only a globalCALCnet connection, which is also helping me debug and test the client. I'll keep you all posted on progress.
Do Sandpaper downloads affect the ticalc.org download count? Cemetechs'?
comicIDIOT wrote:
Do Sandpaper downloads affect the ticalc.org download count? Cemetechs'?
I'm working on implementing ticalc.org downloads only for now; I'll do the Cemetech archives at some point (maybe). Sandpaper's Python bridge fetches files from ticalc.org at most often every ten minutes, assuming I don't restart the bridge. It keeps a cache of zip files, and if it's within 10 minutes of the last time the file was used, it delivers it from the cache, and extends the file's cache lifetime an additional minute. It does fetch category and description pages often for direct file information, but it uses the master.index to cache the overall directory structure to avoid needing to query the ticalc.org server for browsing (for example /pub/83plus/basic/games).
So it'll update the ticalc.org download count by one download, at most, every ten minutes. Otherwise the download expires and is retrieved and cahced and additional downloads within the time limit don't count towards the source download counts.

Sorry, I had to put it into laymans terms for myself, and likely others.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours