Should I have properties pop up? So the board would disappear, and the property displays
Yes
 85%  [ 6 ]
No
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other. Explain in the thread
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

I am going to make monopoly using Hybrid Basic. To start I need to make the board. I plan on using For( loops with Line( commands. Also Using lists to store user data. I need to know how to make the pieces using Xlib sprites. I looked it up and It does not seem to work for me. Thanks in advance.

This is a _Very Rough_ Sketch of the main menu.

Note: This is in paint. Not on my calculator. Also a lot less fancy text will be used! So I am not sure how to make the gray scale. I was thinking have white text with a black background. in PIc 1. then all white in pic 2. Then loop those to make the grey. Not sure though. OR have black text in Pic 2.
The calculator screen's dimensions are 96x64, so you might want to resize your picture. Also, why are you drawing the text by hand like that? You could use Paint to insert typed text into your picture. If you still want to draw text by hand, I recommend that you zoom in so you can see each pixel, and draw with that; it will make for a much cleaner picture.
I did not think of that. Thanks. Will do!

also I made the picture bigger so it would be easier to see.
Aye, but you didn't make it proportioned 3:2, the ratio of the calculator's screen. I know you're resistant to this, but I think you should make the Properties menu in a GUIRSmallWin that is layered over the board. Smile
The updated picture looks a lot better; good job. I'd make the "New" and "High Score" text a little smaller, and put some kind of image in the background.
I might put an image in the background. At the moment KermM. that is a rough setup. Just for a rough idea of how it would look. It is not quite finished yet, but here is what I have.

The "new game" and "Continue" will be about the same size but not as wide . Also I am having a Continue function so players can start and stop, since monopoly takes awhile. Basically NEW GAME would just erase everything while continue does nothing , then starts the code for the game.

Also I have a little trouble getting the M to look right. Everything else looks pretty good though.
One thing I might caution you to do is change the name from Monopoly to something similar. I know that at least one community member received a Cease and Desist letter from Hasbro for using the Monopoly trademark for his game. Smile
OK . so Maybe Polopoly? And have the same play style but different properties like, OH, the rail roads could be Cemetech, Omnimaga, Yaronet and then a third TI Site. Oh Ticalc. the Dark Blues could be Ti 83+ and Ti 84+ and other cool stuff like that??? Maybe change the cards up too. hhmm. I like that idea
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
OK . so Maybe Polopoly? And have the same play style but different properties like, OH, the rail roads could be Cemetech, Omnimaga, Yaronet and then a third TI Site. Oh Ticalc. the Dark Blues could be Ti 83+ and Ti 84+ and other cool stuff like that??? Maybe change the cards up too. hhmm. I like that idea
Sounds awesome to me; you should definitely go for that. Smile Way to be creative.
you could also do Anti-Monopoly, which I'm sure the author would not be averse to.
No thanks I like this idea a lot better.
OK I have the basic layout. in 5 minutes. SO there may be changes!
Each property will be a calculator! Browns and LIght blue will be basic calcs. Then it slowly progresses up through the Graphing calculators, Skips the 83+/84+ and goes through the 68K series. Then the Dark Blues are ti 83+ and ti 84+. Each railroad is Cemetech, Omnimaga, Yaronet, and TiCalc! The cards could be "You have dropped you calculator, Pay $500" or "Omnimaga and Cemetech has a contest, Pay 100$ or go back 3 spaces" .

Etc. This is going to be awesome. Paying rent to borrow calculators . Also (for BrandonW) A card would be, Sell your Ti 92II or go to jail.
haha!
Sounds like quite an entertaining game. I'm glad you're getting excited about it; hopefully that pushes you to get more to the coding side of it. Feel free to post any BASIC questions that you have.
I have idea's of coding . Just have not really started it yet, I am going to try to finish the menu today. and start drawing out the board.

Which reminds me, I need to find my monopoly board.
Keep in mind even the layout of the monopoly board is copyrighted by Parker Bros, so if it's square with 4 corner pieces, you can still be sued.
No. There is bibleopoly that is not made my Parker Bros, and they use the same board design and they weren't sued.
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
No. There is bibleopoly that is not made my Parker Bros, and they use the same board design and they weren't sued.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_licensed_and_localized_editions_of_Monopoly:_USA#B

It is licensed by Parker Bros.
Oh. Well, I doubt they would sue me. Either way how Could I change the board without going overboard and shaping it like a calculator.
DShiznit wrote:
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_licensed_and_localized_editions_of_Monopoly:_USA#B

It is licensed by Parker Bros.

These guys (Anti-Monopoly) were sued, over their name, not the board, and won. Second of all, if you've made significant changes, it's yours, not theirs. (That includes changing all the graphics, and property names) That is definitely a significant change from the original, as shown in the picture.
and I plan on changing pretty much everything. Except the game play.

Also DoorsCS and AXE Parser are going to be the utilities. and as per request and common sense. The name is Calcopoly. SOrry for all the name changes this should be the last one.
I can't wait for it to come out. I for one would download it for my calculator.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours