It's about time I remade this game. It was my first Axe game, and when I made it the first time around it was nearly unplayable.

Well, that's all changed, since I completely rewrote it, from scratch. The idea behind the game is still the same: Simul 2 is a game of multitasking, challenging you to play as many simple games on a screen at a time as you can. Here's a screenshot of Stage II:

Here's Stage III, new to Simul 2:

And Stage IV, the final stage:

All the instructions you need are in the readme. Enjoy!
Wow, that's pretty intense. I don't think I'd do well at that game. I don't see a download link, though. If you upload it to the archives, I'll approve it for ya.
merthsoft wrote:
Wow, that's pretty intense. I don't think I'd do well at that game. I don't see a download link, though. If you upload it to the archives, I'll approve it for ya.

It's not on ticalc.org either...
This games just looks so awesome....but so complicated....multitasking! ^^
And it's incredible how fast it is playing 4 games at once on the calc! Smile
Great work!
EDIT: For everyone: You can download it here: http://tiforge.info/zcontest3/?a=projet&id=68
This looks AWESOME! I think a game that approaches impossible at a moderate rate is a great idea Smile ... So do you play it with essentially 2 keypads then?

This gives me an idea though: when you use <--> for one game and ^v for the other, it's like playing one game in which you use all four, but it's split into 2 aspects and rendered differently (sort of). I'll bet this technique could be used to make a 3D "avoidance" game by splitting up 3 panels which each only show one flat-projected view of the 3D space, and therefore each responds to 2 axis of movement. Each panel would share the axis along which they touch too, so that your object would move parallel to it itself in each panel. This could even be expanded to make a 4D game by adding a forth panel, and having each division line represent an axis.
Oh, sorry, forgot to post the download link. I'll upload it to all these site archives soon. Currently it's only on tiforge, in that link Sorunome posted (thanks!).
shkaboinka wrote:
This gives me an idea though: when you use <--> for one game and ^v for the other, it's like playing one game in which you use all four, but it's split into 2 aspects and rendered differently (sort of). I'll bet this technique could be used to make a 3D "avoidance" game by splitting up 3 panels which each only show one flat-projected view of the 3D space, and therefore each responds to 2 axis of movement. Each panel would share the axis along which they touch too, so that your object would move parallel to it itself in each panel. This could even be expanded to make a 4D game by adding a forth panel, and having each division line represent an axis.
Hey, what about Simul 3D? Very Happy Sounds a bit more insane in terms of graphics though.
Wow. that looks pretty difficult!
Yeesh, I remember looking at Simul when you first released it and thinking how challenging it looked. Those screenshots remind me of that, and also impress me with how polished you managed to make the second version look. I definitely will be excited to play it once I get to January 18th or so and have a few days to myself.
After a few mishaps involving an enormous screenshot (3.1 MB GIF), it's in the Cemetech archives. It's also on ticalc here, which is good since the link Sorunome posted seems to be down. In fact, tiforge.info seems to be gone completely—anyone know what happened to it?

Besides having a rewritten readme file, the new version fixes an obscure but nasty bug that corrupts a single byte somewhere in RAM when you get a high score (nice reward?) when the program happens to be running from the archive via a shell with writeback disabled (such as MirageOS with the setting set).
I wonder how that error possibly was found, considering everyone switched from MOS to DCS. Wink Hurray for the update.
Deep Thought wrote:
After a few mishaps involving an enormous screenshot (3.1 MB GIF), it's in the Cemetech archives. It's also on ticalc here, which is good since the link Sorunome posted seems to be down. In fact, tiforge.info seems to be gone completely—anyone know what happened to it?

Besides having a rewritten readme file, the new version fixes an obscure but nasty bug that corrupts a single byte somewhere in RAM when you get a high score (nice reward?) when the program happens to be running from the archive via a shell with writeback disabled (such as MirageOS with the setting set).

deepthought++
KermMartian wrote:
I wonder how that error possibly was found, considering everyone switched from MOS to DCS. Wink Hurray for the update.
I thought it through step by step while trying to write a tutorial on SMC. Realized I'd made a mistake when I came up with the routine Razz
I wonder how hard it would be to port axe games to some casio-compatable format. What kind of language is axe? Can it be ported to Lua easily? Or would PRGM2 be a better choice?
Axe is a really low-level compiled language. I'd say it's somewhat lower-level than C, so there might be a lot of problems in dealing with things like variables. On the other hand, Axe uses very few system routines (the compiler implements most of the commands itself) and jacobly made some computer-side Axe simulators, so porting Axe itself in one form or another to other platforms seems realistic enough.

But I'd say porting Axe programs to a language like Lua is pretty impractical, since Lua is so high-level and doesn't expose pointers at all. Maybe PRGM2, but I've never looked at that.
Nice! ...and now that you know how to fix what went wrong, you should finish your tutorial on SMC. Razz

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours