For Cemetech's Contest #8, I'm going to be making Galagaman, a mix of Galaga and Pacman. I've already made most of my sprites and went through an XNA tutorial, so I think I'll be able to finish it before the contest ends. Smile Current screenshot (this is just a static picture, there isn't any real code in it yet):

I'm going to be fascinated to see how you manage to mix those two together. I of course immediately recognized this as a Pacman board, but how Galaga is going to be welded onto it shall be something I'll follow with interest. Best of luck!
Could you maybe elaborate on what galaga is?
Looks nice so far!
aeTIos wrote:
Could you maybe elaborate on what galaga is?
Looks nice so far!

Galaga is a space shooter that's similar to Phoenix.
Surprised that sounds pretty interesting...
very cool souvik! I see you are using XNA, very nice Smile

good thing, too, I might be able to learn something from your progress with this game.. eheheh. Good luck souvik.

I've got collision detection working fairly reliably now, so you can't go through walls in the board anymore. Smile
Ohh, I see how this will play out Smile very creative indeed. Good luck!

Also, I can't help but mention that I'm using the same ship sprite from Galaga for the player as you are Smile
Aah, I start getting an idea of what the game will be. Pretty interesting concept!
I'm still kinda fuzzy on how you'll be w=mixing the two. Will you be shooting with the ship and the galagans be attacking you?
Kinda like the galagans are the monsters; you have to eat dots and if you eat a powerup you can shoot the galagans. That is what I got from it.
aeTIos wrote:
Kinda like the galagans are the monsters; you have to eat dots and if you eat a powerup you can shoot the galagans. That is what I got from it.

Almost, except that I'm using the Pacman monsters. When you eat a powerup, the Pacman monsters turn into the Galaga enemies, and you can shoot them for extra points.
Very interesting; sounds like much fun to play!
Oh, that sounds like tons of fun! I'll have to prod you to port that to the Prizm or the TI after the contest! Very Happy

I've started to hard-code the coordinates for each individual dot into my program. It's really tedious, but it's going to make collision detection really easy later.
Hmm, there's no programmatic way to do that? Sad I'm lazy enough to want to spend the time writing a programmatic solution, even if it ends up costing me time in the long run rather than just doing whatever the task is, in this case placing the dots, by hand.
More dots! It doesn't take too long to place the dots by hand, actually.
I finished placing the dots in my program, and I've got collision detection with the dots working so now I can eat the dots.
Awesome Smile do the dots work like they do in pacman, were you have to eat all of them to advance to the next level of difficulty, and the bigger dots give you invincibility for a few seconds?
I'm changing it so the the bigger dots give you the ability to shoot bullets at the enemies, but the small dots will work the same way they do in the original Pacman.

Edit: Here's a video of my game. The video makes the frame rate look really bad, though. Sad
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3601919/upload/clip0001.avi

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours