Raptor is a shooting game for the Casio Prizm, written in C. It features are similar to Phoenix 4.0 for the 84+ series, sporting many enemies, highscores, money system and shops, cool and powerful upgradeable weapons, and more, was my first fully complete Prizm game in C, and one of the first 5 or so add-in games for the platform (and the first shooter!). Released, but still in active further development. Runner-up for the Cemetech Prizm contest.

Download
[Casio Prizm] Raptor Beta 1
Very impressive! I hope that you'll have some cool stuff to show us soon, but don't get so carried away that you burn yourself out. Wink
Well, I made quite good progress today Smile I've got movement, shooting (only the first/classic weapon right now, not the upgraded ones), Lives/Points in the HUD (for now that's all in the HUD, but later on there'll be more), and the beginnings of a background star effect very similar to Galaga's original one. I'm going to spend tomorrow on some more polishing (add some other weapons, some nice effects, etc.), and working on basic enemies. Shall likely show off progress live in HCWP tomorrow.

I know it's me saying this, but it is already starting to look rather superb for only one day's work Cool

Edit: and, if anyone could answer this, it'd be very helpful to the smoothness of my gameplay (sorry to be pushy): http://cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6114&start=99 As you can imagine, it's not the same old Galaga without being able to shoot and move at the same time Wink
That's great to hear, Ashbad! I certainly will be looking forward to seeing your progress during HCWP tonight, and I'll be excited to share my own Tetrizm progress during the same session. I look forward to seeing, after the contest deadline passes, what sort of things you're doing to keep track of bullets and the like. I'll go answer your question in that thread shortly.
Well, I showed off at least 3-4 demos of Raptor in action last night on HCWP. During last night I showed what I had already had before the session (HUD/Movement/Bullets), I then showed off working enemy movement and rendering, and then bullet collision and destruction of enemies that yields you points Smile pretty productive night.

The next thing I'll add for fun will be a Galaga-like starry scrolling background. Only problem: without the rand() and srand() functions, it'll take more time than it's worth to get working. With the rand()/srand() functions (that won't compile for me), it would take maybe like 10 minutes of coding to add. Anyone know of the syscall for the rand function, and would be willing to show an example usage and C prototype?
That you did, and it looked great so far. Are you using the [Cemetech] PrizmSDK for your compilation? I use the following copy-paste code:

Code:
static unsigned int lastrandom=0x12345678;
unsigned int random(void) {
   return srandom(0);
}

unsigned int srandom(int seed){
    if (seed) lastrandom=seed;
    lastrandom = ( 0x41C64E6D*lastrandom ) + 0x3039;
    return ( lastrandom >> 16 );
}
Well, I managed to get another demo together Smile Viola! Just a small demo showing my progress since I started working on this ~4 days ago; so far, I have the main menu, high score system working (uses a separate raptor.ahs file to save them long-term), basic shooting, HUD, enemy rendering/movement, scoring, and a snazzy background that looks even better IRL than it does here (cool blinking effects too fast/unstable for recording):

Edit: for some reason the video went down a few hours ago from YouTube Confused Anywho, fixed and is now viewable here again.
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang.

I feel like abusing my powers as a judge to get that executable from you right the hell now, but I won't. Smile Edit: I think I like it so much because it looks exactly like a classic arcade game, complete with block-caps title screen, initial-tagged high scores, and that sexy, sexy scrolling star background.
Darn, that looks really impressive! I love the retro-arcade feel Very Happy

This is going to be some slick competition Razz
leafiness0 wrote:
Darn, that looks really impressive! I love the retro-arcade feel Very Happy

This is going to be some slick competition Razz
Not to you directly, since he's entering the Prizm category, but for the grand prize face-off, I think we're going to have extremely strong entries in all three categories to pick from, fortunately (for the community) and unfortunately (for Rivereye and I).
I'm flattered that you guys like it so much Smile hopefully I'll wow you again in a few days once I have basic staging and enemy patterns finished. Of the 5 hours I spent on this demo, 3 of those hours were tracking down bugs Razz
Last night, I sped up the game by ~25% just by optimizing the routine I had that cleared the screen with black. I also made stars a bit more unevenly twinkly (can twinkle with a mod operand from 4-33 frames, including all odd numbers in between, rather than just mod operands of 4, 8, 16, or 32) which makes them look even better, I added large block caps captions like "you lose!", "game over", "stage boss", etc., a dying screen, continue game screen (you get 5 continues, like in Sonic 1 to 3), and good transitions. Smile
Excellent! Out of curiosity, is SourceCoder doing your image-to-array conversions for you? Keep it up.
KermMartian wrote:
Excellent! Out of curiosity, is SourceCoder doing your image-to-array conversions for you? Keep it up.

Yes it is, I've been using SC for all of my image conversions Smile it's pretty simple, because all I have to do is ctrl-c/ctrl-v, shift-tap it back, and add const before char and remove the array length in the brackets. Thanks for the support. Very Happy
Yeah, I need to make it add the const itself. Why do you remove the array length in the bracket? It should work properly with that there.
KermMartian wrote:
Yeah, I need to make it add the const itself. Why do you remove the array length in the bracket? It should work properly with that there.

I actually have no idea. I think it's because I accidentally got rid of it before with PrizmCity's data, and it seemed a bit more consistent for me. Meh, so no real reason Razz Adding the const, and perhaps having the text so that it is backwards-tabbed one tab to the left would be really helpful Smile
I added the const. What do you mean about the tabbing, the first line or all the lines?
KermMartian wrote:
I added the const. What do you mean about the tabbing, the first line or all the lines?

Thanks for adding the const Smile as for tabbing, it's all the lines, it seems.
Well, for my daily update, all I pretty much did today was add multi-keypress functionality (actually took me a while, had to re-write a lot of the player engine, and change the routine PeriotLL (sp?) posted, so that I could check for keydown and keyup cases), and optimizations.
Ashbad wrote:
Well, for my daily update, all I pretty much did today was add multi-keypress functionality (actually took me a while, had to re-write a lot of the player engine, and change the routine PeriotLL (sp?) posted, so that I could check for keydown and keyup cases), and optimizations.
PierrotLL*, but you were close. I'm glad to hear you continue to make progress. It looks as if a lot of the Contest 8 authors are doing a good job of getting started early, which makes me very happy.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours