as it says How do you set up a wireless cacchat
Wireless chat, with what? DCS7 libs, over calcnet gCn? Could you specify what your goal is towards what type of chat (just plain text, or fancy sending conventions), what libraries it uses, and perhaps some general other ideas of whatever this knowledge is for? We can help you better then Wink
That's a little bit, umm, vague... You put this in the TI-Basic subforum, when, imho, it should go in the Calculator Hardware one, since calcs don't have wireless capabilities built in (except for very new ones, I think). So far, no one has been able to do wireless chatting, I think. There was one project years and years ago to use IR transmitters to send data back and forth, but I don't know if it really worked. If you search Cemetech, there are at least 4 or 5 topics about this very topic, wireless calculator connecting.
It's going to be more work than its worth if all you want is calc chatting. You're probably better off getting an extended Link Cable and going that way.

But if you really want to do it, it's going to take some electronics skills, like soldering and PIC programming (that's not the calc variable, that's a microcontroller). Here's a page detailing an IR based one.

_player, it worked. Its best mode was the one that mimicked the link port, allowing for anything that would normally use it (including, in theory, calcNet!)
Ashbad wrote:
Could you specify what your goal is towards what type of chat
calcnet chat on DCS

willrandship- thanks for that info i'll check out that site

Kerm- Thanks for that and I'll file that info for a later time
Yeah, that's still going to take what I said to go wireless. Wired connections are much simpler.
RFDave is working on either a Zigbee-based solution or a WiFi + Arduino solution to wireless CALCnet chat, but currently there's no good way to do it other than the IR Link from Sami.
Well, I suppose there is having a laptop tethered to each so they do it over gCn, but I guess that's not a "good way", right? Razz
_player1537 wrote:
That's a little bit, umm, vague... You put this in the TI-Basic subforum, when, imho, it should go in the Calculator Hardware one, since calcs don't have wireless capabilities built in (except for very new ones, I think). So far, no one has been able to do wireless chatting, I think. There was one project years and years ago to use IR transmitters to send data back and forth, but I don't know if it really worked. If you search Cemetech, there are at least 4 or 5 topics about this very topic, wireless calculator connecting.

I didn't know where to put it and thought here would be good.
I've gone ahead and moved this to the Calculator Hardware subforum, just FYI.
heh, I don't think wifi will really be possible, to tell the truth. Just think of the power needed to run the wifi adapter alone.... I think DUSB or arduino will be the only means of connecting your calc to the internet for quite some time.
That's what extra batteries are for Razz But you're probably right. Besides, is there really such a huge need for wifi when we have to link up to specialized hardware anyways? It's not like we can just plug into a standard router (at least, not yet)
Well, with the newest Ethernet Arduinos you can, but it seems a bit silly to connect a $100 device to the internet with a $50 interface board to me.
I was thinking Raspberry Pi, to save money (only $35! It should be able to use the linux version of dUsb gCn, right?) but then I realized at that point it would be for more effectuve to do a VNC-Style link, using the Pi as the CPU.

Now that sounds fun.
willrandship wrote:
I was thinking Raspberry Pi, to save money (only $35! It should be able to use the linux version of dUsb gCn, right?) but then I realized at that point it would be for more effectuve to do a VNC-Style link, using the Pi as the CPU.

Now that sounds fun.

Ooh, now that would be something else....

Are you thinking of running a 96x64 xvnc session and a custom X application on the pi and then a vnc client on the calc? I have some experience writing a vnc client, so to me it doesn't seem too hard or far-fetched to write one for a calculator. The vnc protocol allows a client to say what bit-depth and which image encoding methods it supports, and only support for the raw encoding is required. That shouldn't be too difficult to implement. Most of the complexity is in the vnc server itself.

Given my limited time these days, I wouldn't write a vnc client myself, but if anyone needs assistance with the protocol, I'd be more than happy to help!
I've been repeatedly considering a graphical terminal type of application for gCn/CALCnet, which would allow far more powerful programs than the calculator could support to run on a remote server and simply send output and accept input to/from the calculator.
How about bluetooth? Bluetooth sticks are very cheap these days. The calculators have a usb port. All it takes is software to drive the thing and a usb adapter.
Nice necropost.

I know BrandonW has done some stuff with Bluetooth (using a Bluetooth mouse, I think), but afaik, no one's used it for linking two calcs.
Necropost? Oh I had no idea Razz
merthsoft wrote:
Nice necropost.

I know BrandonW has done some stuff with Bluetooth (using a Bluetooth mouse, I think), but afaik, no one's used it for linking two calcs.
Truth on the necropost and the Bluetooth. We have a bunch of wireless CALCnet projects going on, like a Xigbee-mediated one by RFDave and an MSP433-related one by geekboy, but none of them have demonstrated sucess yet, unfortunately.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours