This seems like a fun, interesting, and potentially controversial topic of discussion.

1. Teachers
2. Politicians
3. Doctors
4. Campus cops
oktal wrote:
This seems like a fun, interesting, and potentially controversial topic of discussion.

1. Teachers
2. Politicians
3. Doctors
4. Campus cops
You guys must have bad teachers.
Can you all at least try to post some reasoning behind what you said? In my opinion, it's the difference between this topic being spam and actually being productive...
My professors had authority over me because they knew what I didn't, and had the balls to try and bring it down to my level.
Politicians have authority over me because I made the conscious decision that I trusted their judgement, and that it should be pot forth in ways that change my life.
Doctors have authority over me because I willingly place my health and well being into their hands, and they have taken the time to make sure that it will be well kept for.
Campus cops have authority over me because they are, in general, keeping my campus a safer place for me to be. Even if it means taking bad with good.
seana11 wrote:
oktal wrote:

1. Teachers
2. Politicians
3. Doctors
4. Campus cops
This is not an acceptable Cemetech forum post. We value quality over quantity, and this post contributes only epsilon to the topic. Shape up.

Bsparks: You win the topic.
A teacher's job is to teach. Their business is education, not administration. A good number high school teachers I've been exposed to have some ridiculous hallway god complex. I'm not talking about professors. I have no experience with any.

Maybe I've just gotten bad luck, but most of my doctors believe they have an indisputable knowledge of medicine they've never dealt with. One of my doctors didn't trust my previous doctor's screening of a disease I had and told me that if I wasn't re-screened by him personally, he wouldn't prescribe me the medicine I've been taking since childhood. I still doubt that's protocol.

Campus cops and politicians were thrown in for humor. I was hoping to spark some kind of reaction.

ε:
That should have been in your first post.
Oktal: I think that politicians have the potential to overstep bounds, but I'm almost starting to feel that it's giant corporations who hold more danger in their sway over the legislature. Cf. the topic about the SOPA bill currently before congress that threatens the very fabric of the internet. I've run into one particular professor who was granted power as a "Safety Officer", but quickly took "Safety" as "Security" and started implementing punishments, encouraging people to spy on and report about their peers' transgressions, and glorified hall monitors to constantly snoop around what students were up to. I believe the professor in question might still hold this position, but luckily (knock wood) it's no longer within the scope of my concerns, I hope.
I once had a physics teacher give bonus points for reporting cheating. In his defense though, more than 50% of the class had cheated on the previous test.
If you had any idea how hard teachers work and how little they're paid for it, you would not in any way shape or form belittle them for what that they do. There are bad teachers, as there are bad policemen, bad politicians, and even bad programmers, but you did not call out a single teacher, you called out teaching itself. I'm sorry if I'm coming off rather hard here, but I've seen too many of my teachers working too dαmn hard to stand by while some puissant little shrew of a person badmouths their profession.
DShiznit wrote:
If you had any idea how hard teachers work and how little they're paid for it, you would not in any way shape or form belittle them for what that they do. There are bad teachers, as there are bad policemen, bad politicians, and even bad programmers, but you did not call out a single teacher, you called out teaching itself. I'm sorry if I'm coming off rather hard here, but I've seen too many of my teachers working too dαmn hard to stand by while some puissant little shrew of a person badmouths their profession.
True beans.

My mom works as a librarian at a school. Every year their hours get less and their works gets heavier. As their hours get cut, other teachers are loosing jobs. As those teachers loose jobs students are out of a teacher. The only thing to do is to assign more students to teachers. Which is way we have classrooms of 35 instead of 25 or 20.

My mom gets 20 hours a week. Considering she has to barcode new text/books, upkeep the books within the library (and textbooks), organize book fairs, read to the classes, and so much more. And to give her four hours a day?

Also, DShiznit. Please stop bypassing the word filter or I'll remove the symbols at the bottom of the page. It seems to enable you more than anyone else.
well, all my teachers are either nice, funny, or just stay out of my way i nterms of causing trouble, so I cannot say they think they have an inflated sense of authority. they do however have the right to send me to timeout or detention of I misbehave Razz
oktal wrote:
A teacher's job is to teach. Their business is education, not administration. A good number high school teachers I've been exposed to have some ridiculous hallway god complex.
You clearly don't know anything about being a teacher.

oktal wrote:
Maybe I've just gotten bad luck, but most of my doctors believe they have an indisputable knowledge of medicine they've never dealt with. One of my doctors didn't trust my previous doctor's screening of a disease I had and told me that if I wasn't re-screened by him personally, he wouldn't prescribe me the medicine I've been taking since childhood. I still doubt that's protocol.
Why would a doctor continue a medicine regime that he didn't think was appropriate? That's his job. What he did is completely appropriate for a doctor to do.
Personally I think that the states professions actually have that authority. They have the education and training/experience that entitles them to it.

I personally think they are more Jobs that have a higher chance at giving people an inflated sense of authority. It can't be broken down in to a black and white mentality where all doctors have an inflated sense of superiority. On the other side there are some doctors on a power trip. Smile
Mostly for me teachers have been good. If they were wrong or misusing their position I told them, Which usually got me sent to the principal, which then got them in trouble. So teachers and me have always had a rocky relationship. I would say lawyers have a false sense of power. _Most_ of them think that they are god because they know every loop whole to every law and abuse it at will to let murderer's and other criminals go free, or with a slap on the wrist.
Aes_Sedia: I'm no expert, but I believe that's a flaw in the legal system, not in the lawyers. If it is indeed that broken, then fixing the lawyers wouldn't fix the system necessarily. I'd be interested in hearing someone who knows more about it than me weigh in, though.

Merth: I agree; that's why you get second opinions if you don't think a doctor is telling you the right thing. Smile
KermM. My mom is a paralegal, and while she is far from curropt she knows the loop wholes to laws and how to get around almost every law possible. She chooses not to use it, Just because a system is flawed does not give them the right to take advantage of it. Just because I know how to hack into a bank and take millions (I don't but for the example) does not mean I have the right too.
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
KermM. My mom is a paralegal, and while she is far from curropt she knows the loop wholes to laws and how to get around almost every law possible. She chooses not to use it, Just because a system is flawed does not give them the right to take advantage of it. Just because I know how to hack into a bank and take millions (I don't but for the example) does not mean I have the right too.
*corrupt *loopholes *just. Well, it's an issue of ethics vs. legality. Using loopholes in the law for your own benefit is likely "legal", whereas robbing a bank is very much not legal. I think it can be argued fairly concretely that neither is ethical, though, so for example even if a corporation can legally bet against the market and make billions of dollars on the collapse of the housing/mortgage bubble, it isn't ethical for them to do so.
Yes. The abuse of those ethics is what gives them the inflated sense of power. Also Lawyers BY LAW are supposed to be confidential but if you catch them on the golf course with a judge then the case is settled by the time it reaches the court room.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours