I am working on an RPG for the computer called Daemons.

The goal of the project is to basically, recreate Pokemon and give it a better storyline, improved battle engine, as well as a darker, and overall more mature, theme.

At the moment it is in it's infancy I am rewriting the entire thing from what we had (which was only movement and collision detection) and make it clearer and support loading from a save file. As well as making it easier to code. Razz

What I do have, however, is the storyline where you basically start out working for the evil organization and you defect from them.

Also, I have the battle system worked out where you, the trainer, will now fight. new features changed from Pokemon are:

-Trainer fights
-Up to three "Daemons" out with you at once
-Each Daemon has six slots for moves
-FF XIII-like ability point system for attacking and doing stuff (except you have full control of your team)
-Only the trainer uses items
-If the trainer is KO (or killed maybe) they automatically lose
-You can carry up to nine Daemons with you at once

Once I get the movement code written as well as the images for the maps drawn up I'll post some screenshots.
Oooh, that sounds interesting. Good luck with this, and be sure to keep us updated!
Ok, I now have some progress to show

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573921/Daemons_Progress.png

Next up to do is camera movement, the player's sprite + animation, then collision/transition detection. XD
Yay for updates Very Happy

So I've gotten transitions working now. So the movement engine is more or less fully complete. There is just one thing left to fix which is just how many tiles to draw around the character. (I don't want to draw EACH tile every frame lest we have Huge maps) And I'm close to fixing that one.

After that I'm going to do an update to TileCat. (Probably finish my rewrite as well). I have an idea to make each map contain the start coords for where the character must spawn. Or I could make it so it has another map type that contains coords for the player and NPC's to spawn.

I'll also have to update for events such as signs, NPC's, battle's, and such. Once that is done, I can release a demo of small city or what have you.

If anyone is interested, I am looking for people to help me make this. Particularly pixel artists and programmers.

Screenshot:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573921/DaemonsMove.png
Hey, awesome! I'm glad to see that you still are working on this project; I had unfortunately despaired of it being completed. Smile
lol. This project has died and been revived about 3-4 times. Razz But I'm definitely going to complete it throughout college. The reason there hasn't been an update for several months id because I was having a tricky bug where the view moved faster than the character.
HOMER-16 wrote:

-Up to three "Daemons" out with you at once
-You can carry up to nine Daemons with you at once

Umm... Contradiction...

Anyway, this sounds great. Looks good, and with a pretty good storyline. Can you post links to pictures instead of actual pics? I can't see all of posts because of my monitor.
Three Daemons active in battle, and up to nine total (In pokemon you had 6)

Thanks for the feedback Very Happy

I'll try to change the screenshots.
I think that four of the most annoying/tedious things from Pokemon are looking for a specific pokemon in tall grass, random encounters when you don't want them, leveling up pokemon, and npc battles when you don't want them. Of these, the most annoying are the NPC ones. Sure, there are times when you should have NPCs, such as Gyms, and the bridge in Pokemon Red, but having to fight hordes of them just to get to the next city is over the top. Also annoying is trying to get random encounters so you can level up your pokemon. Maybe you could have a feature in the Poke Center where you can fight NPCs endlessly, with few penalties to blacking out fighting them there.
I would probably make it more that random encounters can be prevented by a certain item being held or ability.

As for NPC's, I don't want to make it too easy for the player but I could make it perhaps so that NPC's chase after you and if they catch up you battle them.

Though the endless NPC idea is pretty good. I'd have to make it so that it couldn't be exploited though.
HOMER-16 wrote:
I would probably make it more that random encounters can be prevented by a certain item being held or ability.

As for NPC's, I don't want to make it too easy for the player but I could make it perhaps so that NPC's chase after you and if they catch up you battle them.

Though the endless NPC idea is pretty good. I'd have to make it so that it couldn't be exploited though.

Maybe you would have to pay for the service... So if you had $500, you could get 1 hour of real time in the endless bit.
Something like that. Or make the trainers next to impossible to defeat or something along those lines. :S

Perhaps I could make it so that's where you level up the trainer. Very Happy
HOMER-16 wrote:
Something like that. Or make the trainers next to impossible to defeat or something along those lines. :S

Perhaps I could make it so that's where you level up the trainer. :D

That's be a cruel twist of fate... "Charmander has leveled up" "But I don't own a Charmander..." "I mean the enemies Charmander"
Well, I meant your character as the trainer, but enemies leveling up could also be feasible. Very Happy
HOMER-16 wrote:
Well, I meant your character as the trainer, but enemies leveling up could also be feasible. :D

Hmm... Maybe trainers should be different for every city, starting off with progressively higher daemons, but whenever you battle them, they gain xp- only at double the player rate. So you couldn't fight the same people over and over with the same results, it would get harder each time. But every time they made it to a new city, the trainers would start at the default value for that city.
That works. I could also cut down on the exp it gives out or you can only fight them so many times. Either way, it could help cut down on becoming too powerful too fast. (I do want this game to be challenging)
HOMER-16 wrote:
That works. I could also cut down on the exp it gives out or you can only fight them so many times. Either way, it could help cut down on becoming too powerful too fast. (I do want this game to be challenging)

What if you put in a "collectors" mode, for people who wanted to have fun battling/collecting daemons after they'd played the game once or twice. It would allow you to turn off random encounters/npc battles as they saw fit, as well as teleportation to other parts of the world from any pokecenter (or whatever you decide to call it).
That's an interesting idea. I like it and it should be fairly easy to implement.
Ok, I've finally gotten to a point to do this but, here is the first demo of Daemons!

http://sourceforge.net/projects/daemons-rpg/files/Daemons.7z/download

It's not much at this point, just the movement engine. But hopefully I can make the battle engine to go along with it soon enough.

I also made a source forge for the project.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/daemons-rpg/
HOMER-16 wrote:
Ok, I've finally gotten to a point to do this but, here is the first demo of Daemons!

http://sourceforge.net/projects/daemons-rpg/files/Daemons.7z/download

It's not much at this point, just the movement engine. But hopefully I can make the battle engine to go along with it soon enough.

I also made a source forge for the project.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/daemons-rpg/

Could you include a non-7zip format? Xarchiver is choking on it.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours