» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
KermMartian wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:
That's how the archives are, there isn't much difference between the two other than clock functions on the TI-84.
I think his main complaint is putting the BASIC, ASM, Axe, Hybrid, and Grammar categories together. Raylin, if it will allay your concerns at all, we would be very careful to weight each entry according to its source language.

Perhaps he was also concerned that games and utilities are together? It's a bit less of a concern, I'm sure, but that's really a vast area of entries that can be made (unless it's only utilities or only games, or if there is an overarching theme?)
There's going to be exactly one overarching theme, not a giant free-for-all. Smile That's why I ignored your post where you had six categories.
KermMartian wrote:
There's going to be exactly one overarching theme, not a giant free-for-all. Smile That's why I ignored your post where you had six categories.

Ah, then it makes sense; thanks for the clarification. Smile
We have done contests before where ASM and BASIC were pitted against each other, and I think the result came out great. For a preliminary start, I graded the ASM and BASIC programs separately, and had a ranking I used there. From there, for the finally, I took the top in each category and put them head to head with each other to determine the final winner.

There are of course other ways to handle how these contests can be run and judged, and I am always open to suggestions on how to improve the contest style here at Cemetech.

Also, for any contests, a grading rubric should be constructed either before the begging of the contest, or shortly into it, so contestants can see how they will be graded and build their programs effectively for it. The first thing though is of course to nail down the exact contest people are looking to do.
rivereye wrote:
We have done contests before where ASM and BASIC were pitted against each other, and I think the result came out great. For a preliminary start, I graded the ASM and BASIC programs separately, and had a ranking I used there. From there, for the finally, I took the top in each category and put them head to head with each other to determine the final winner.
Definitely agreed, I see no reason why it won't continue to work well.

Quote:
There are of course other ways to handle how these contests can be run and judged, and I am always open to suggestions on how to improve the contest style here at Cemetech.
Good, and I'm also very happy to hear the implication that you will continue to be involved!

Quote:
Also, for any contests, a grading rubric should be constructed either before the begging of the contest, or shortly into it, so contestants can see how they will be graded and build their programs effectively for it. The first thing though is of course to nail down the exact contest people are looking to do.
Definitely, that has proven very successful in the past. I'm sure we'll be able to modify one of the previous ones with minimal effort.
I will be happy to assist in judging the contest. It is something that I have enjoyed in the past, and will continue to.

As for the rubric, yeah, it should be very easy to make one work. It might even be worth taking the time to make a standardized one that has common requirements in on it that we just have to add the specific details of the contest.

Common elements would be for example:
Quality of Code
Originality
Usability

and other items that people see fitting.
Could we keep an updated list of the ideas in the first post? Like, anything major such as: languages, things like utilities/games, contest specs, etc. It seems like every day, there's another page on this topic Razz
_player1537 wrote:
Could we keep an updated list of the ideas in the first post? Like, anything major such as: languages, things like utilities/games, contest specs, etc. It seems like every day, there's another page on this topic Razz
I have wiped the first post and updated it with Cemetech Contest #8 information as per our current discussion.

Rivereye: Definitely agree. For reference, please find below our rubric from the previous contest:

Code:
Grounds for Immediate Rejection of Entry:
----------------------------------------------------------------
1. Entry not submitted by deadline.
2. Entry was released before deadline.
3. Source code not provided (applicable for ASM only)
4. Program does not work (occasional bugs or glitches are okay but may reduce score)
5. Program does not use any DCS features

Grading Criteria (0 to 10 points per numbered category)
----------------------------------------------------------------
1. Originality - SCORE _____/10
---- Has it been done before?   Is this a lot better, if so?
---- If it's original, is that good? Is that awesome?

2. Use of Doors CS 7 - SCORE _____/30
---- Does it use the BASIC or ASM header?
---- Does it use XLib/Celtic/etc Lib functions?
---- Most importantly, does it use DCSB Lib or ASM DCS libs?
---- Any other cool interactions with DCS?

3. Function-ability - SCORE _____/10
---- How well the entry functions
---- Ease of installation
---- Ease of use/game play/ keys
---- Speed of program (this is relative to the program genre)

4. Graphics (ascii or bitmap) - SCORE _____/10
---- Originality
---- Use of graphics

5. Readme file - SCORE _____/10
---- Describes program
---- Author info, including contact information
---- How to upload the game to the calculator
---- Requirements such as shells and libraries explicitly stated
---- Game play instructions
---- Credit authors of routines/programs

6. Source Code - SCORE _____/10
---- Quantity of Comments
---- Quality of Comments
---- Consistent coding style
---- Efficiency

7. Bonus Points - SCORE _____/10
---- Link play
---- Runs on more than one calc family
---- Grayscale
---- Sound

TOTAL SCORE _____ (maximum of 80 points before bonus)
Thanks, I was looking for my copy of the Rubric. I will take it and adapt it into a new one that can be standardized for future contests.

Speaking of projects, I am going to go through the previous results and have a compilation posts of the contests and their results, along with download links, and links to the main topics for the contests.
For the "bonus points" part, I think the "Grayscale" part for Axe is a bit unfair to other languages, since people can create almost-flawless grayscale in Axe with minimal or no real effort.
Also, remember that bonus section is only 10 points out of a possible total of 90 (though the score is graded on a scale of 80). In the previous contest, a program that had awesome grayscale, but lacked the DCS feature usage would have lost to a program that fully utilized DCS, but was only in Black and White (assuming other things were equal).

For a rubric, more emphasis is going to be on the target of the contest over other things, so if it is a game (as the idea is heading to right now), the quality of the gameplay is the focus (replayability, difficulty, story for applicable game types, etc.).
seana11 wrote:
Edit by Administrator: [The original contents of the post have been removed to make way for official updates on the contest, derived from the discussion in this topic]

The current plans for Cemetech Contest #8:
- Three categories: TI calculator (BASIC, ASM, Axe, Grammer, Hybrid BASIC); Casio Prizm (BASIC and C); computer (Python, Java, ...)
- A contest length of roughly two months
- Judging performed by Kerm, Rivereye, and possibly other (non-entrant) Cemetech members, to be chosen by application
- A theme (a specific game genre seems to be the most popular choice; what genre has yet to be determined) for each entry

rules are looking a-ok so far.

I think that if I do enter, then I will most likely make an application using Merth's calcnet library (in C# of course)

one quick question, is there any more specifications to the languages we are allowed to use computer-wise, or is any language allowed?
Quote:
- Judging performed by Kerm, Rivereye, and possibly other (non-entrant) Cemetech members, to be chosen by application

What is the application going to be like?
Qazz, there will be some restrictions on language. What were you thinking about?

Souvik: Probably just "why do you want to judge;" we know most of the programming ability and experience of the users that are most likely to apply that we can more or less guarantee that some subset of the applicants would be moderately qualified. Any more than three or four judges, and we'd get into the insanity of trying to merge >4 separate sets of opinions, so we'll be asking for two, one, or zero extra judges.

Ashbad: As Rivereye said, that was the rubric for another contest, and isn't identical for the one we'll draw up for this one, just a good starting point. Smile
*bump* We need a genre! I want to get this contest started around the beginning of December so that we can take advantage of people having the winter break to work on their entries. What do you guys want to write?
I would like to write whatever you guys have. Although preferable not a DCS theme. No offence.
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
I would like to write whatever you guys have. Although preferable not a DCS theme. No offence.
Current the idea is something like "Games -> Arcade Games", for example. I think a games topic is preferable over a utilities topic, since Contest 6 was utilities.
OK. Games sounds good. Since I am making pacman anyway. It has been done but meh. Who cares.
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
OK. Games sounds good. Since I am making pacman anyway. It has been done but meh. Who cares.
Originality is indeed generally one of the grading categories, but things like creativity, size, speed, replayability, and execution are also very important, so don't think that you can't enter it just because it's been done before.
Oh I was going to enter. I am just not sure I will win, but that is not the purpose of the competition. This will be fun.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 8 of 10
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours