We're living in the Binary Age, dudes! Wink (Bonus points for getting the reference).

I see a 2 in there, I think we are in a hexadecimal age.

:p
I've got my alarm set to capture the moment on my phone. I plan to send it to some friends as it becomes 11:11 today for them, since I'm ahead time-wise of them currently Very Happy
Sweet! I did not notice. I did not get the reference either. Sad
tifreak8x wrote:
Unfortunately, nobody noticed in 1011 :/ Or maybe they did. It reminds me of the Y1K crisis.
http://www.onesinalifetime.com/
@deep how about 1111? Razz even better
tifreak8x wrote:

:p

Perhaps a ternary age? Very Happy

Anyways, at 11:11 AM today, my school told us to take out our phones and take pictures of ourselves in our classroom, doing whatever we were doing for the class for some time capsule thing they'll open in 11 years from that time and date; people in 2022 will see me in the middle of shaking out my hair Cool (of course, not purposefully on my part…)
At 11:11 on 11/11/11, I was at a parade in downtown Knxoville representing my school and honoring veterans. Smile
Very nice, Catherine. Smile I just experienced the second 11:11 of the day here in Eastern Time. Ashbad, I was thinking Ternary Age too. Very Happy And that sounds pretty cool about the time capsule at your school!

The quote was from 10/11/01, some language that's not family-friendly:
http://bash.org/?2179
To me, 11:11 PM doesn't really count because it's really 23:11, and I think the whole AM/PM thing is dumb. Wink

I missed 11:11 UTC due to a miscalculation converting it to my own time zone, but I did get to catch my own timezone's 11:11 (AM). Smile
Travis wrote:
To me, 11:11 PM doesn't really count because it's really 23:11, and I think the whole AM/PM thing is dumb. Wink

I missed 11:11 UTC due to a miscalculation converting it to my own time zone, but I did get to catch my own timezone's 11:11 (AM). Smile
Perhaps if you were here in EST like all the cool kids, the conversion would be better? It's a shame you're stuck over there by Nikky. Sad Yeah, I agree that 11:11pm is slightly shadier, but I think if one missed the morning occurrence, it's not completely bogus.
KermMartian wrote:
Perhaps if you were here in EST like all the cool kids, the conversion would be better? It's a shame you're stuck over there by Nikky. Sad

I'm closer to EST than to PST, though, by number of time zones. Smile

Quote:
Yeah, I agree that 11:11pm is slightly shadier, but I think if one missed the morning occurrence, it's not completely bogus.

Yeah, I guess you're right. When you think about it, it's not really any less arbitrary than everything else we invented to track time. It's also possible to celebrate once for every time zone, which isn't any less legitimate.
Indeed, it's all an artificial construct at some point. Which reminds me that I was going to say to WillRandShip and Deep Thought that I'm 99% sure our current calendar does not match the calendar a millenium ago.
Just like every other "OMG UNIQUE MOMENT IN TIME YOU CAN'T MISS THIS!!111!11!!11!" I saw it pass and felt absolutely nothing. Same as that "The Rapture is coming! The End is Nigh!!" crap.
I find it funny how the school clock gains 5 seconds every week, this making it two minutes faster than the rest of the world. What makes it even funnier, is that no one has figured that out. Including all the people who did their spiel 2 minutes early. They didn't miss a beat.

This is why I don't care. The moment is completely arbitrary.
As is any moment in time, if time even exists. But you must remember that our minds are pattern-matching machines, and thrive on order and recognized patterns. Indeed, we often see patterns in randomness where none exist, with various implications towards conspiracy theories, people who think they've guessed "too many Cs" on standardized bubble tests, and even (but this isn't the thread for this) religion, some would argue. Our brains get a physiological thrill from the confluence of 1s in the timestamp 11/11/11 11:11, and hence we recognize it as special.
That's odd, because I get my physiological thrills from... other things...
DShiznit wrote:

I am too lazy to actually make my own post so instead I quote people and then don't say anything new
seana11 wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

I am too lazy to actually make my own post so instead I quote people and then don't say anything new

I am doubly too lazy to actually make my own post so instead I quote people and then don't say anything new

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours