Kerm, I was looking through the DCS_SDK, trying to find info on how the DCS AP feature handles clicking on AP files and opening the file in the viewer. When you enter the viewer program, are the pointers to the AP file already returned, or do they have to be retrieved...Can you elaborate a bit on that side of things?
I'll start with some code that I stole from my platformer that loads levels from AP or from normal places.
Code:
APStart:
   push ix
      pop hl
   ld de,10
   or a
   push hl
      sbc hl,de
      ld ($+5),hl
      ld bc,(0000)
      pop hl
   ld de,LevelData
   ldir
   jr TheRealStart
Start:                             ;main routines
   xor a
   call FileOpen
   ld a,l
   or h
   ret z
   ld de,LevelData
   ;ld bc,ExtraSpace-LevelData
   ldir

TheRealStart:
I figured this all out at one point, but now I am just going off of code and (potentially) faulty knowledge. If you open a program that has the same AP type, it will run this program at APStart. The pointer to the actual program data is at (IX+0). (IX-10) and (IX-9) are the size bytes, and (IX-Cool through (IX-1) are all header details. If you had an associated program that looked like:
Code:
.nolist
#include "dcs7brass.inc"
.list
   .org progstart
   .db $BB,$6D
   .db $C9
   .db $31,$80
   .db 0,1,10
Start:
   .db "Tanner",0
(Stolen type code, for my Platformer, inb4 confusion), you could read out the name using something like:
Code:
.nolist
#include "dcs7brass.inc"
.list
   .org progstart
   .db $BB,$6D
Init:
   xor d
   ret
   jr Start   ;The normal jump to your program code
         ;Will be skipped if started with an AP program

.dw 0000         ;or .dw $0000 if you don't have a description
   .db $07,$00         ;always this string
   .dw Icon         ;or .dw $0000 if you don't have an icon
   .dw 0000            ;usually .dw $0000 if you don't have or know what an ALE is
   .dw APStart   ;A pointer to your APStart
   .db $31,$7F   ;I feel bad, dunno what these are for
   .db $01      ;^
MyTypes:
   .db 0,1,10   ;Same icon from before
Icon:
         ;Normal icon
         ;Not included for length of code
APIcon:
         ;AP Icon, you have to have, or else you get a garbage icon
         ;Not included for length of code
APStart:
   push ix
      pop hl   ;Gets IX in HL
         ;IX points to the data of your file, in this case "Tanner",0
   bcall PutS
   bcall GetKey
   ret      ;Don't really want to do more
Start:
   ret      ;Not the point.
Does ix (and then hl) point to the size word, or to the data? Will I need to jump the size word and the type byte?
ACagliano wrote:
Kerm, I was looking through the DCS_SDK, trying to find info on how the DCS AP feature handles clicking on AP files and opening the file in the viewer. When you enter the viewer program, are the pointers to the AP file already returned, or do they have to be retrieved...Can you elaborate a bit on that side of things?

First you have to set up your program header so DCS will know which kinds of APs you handle and load your title, program icon, and AP file icons appropriately. The Apstart entry point is an alternative entry point for your program if someone has opened an AP from the desktop

Code:
Removed by Kerm

Holy hell dude, Pastebin please. http://pastebin.com/xhYHDCVe

You also must provide callbacks to Open/Save/Save As AP routines so that they can ask your code to handle saving and loading for them. The DCS Wiki documents exactly what you need to do, but you're also welcome to piece it together based on the code to my iPaint program, which I've posted here.
More specifically, you need an entrypoint that your program starts at (instead of $9d95) when Doors CS has a pending file being opened from Doors CS itself with your program as the viewer. No special hook is required when your program calls FileOpen or FileSaveAs.
I think this is one of my last questions:

dcs sdk wrote:
de = pointer to the size word of the data for updating. Please note: the size at the size word is not the same as the size word in bc. bc is 8 bytes smaller than (de) due to the AP header ($BB,$6D,$C9,$31,$80,type,type,type).
bc = size of the pure data section of the file.

If I am changing the size of the file, do I need to update de AND bc, or just de?
That's a tricky question. Once FileOpen (or the APStart entry point) returns you those values, it isn't tracking them anymore. If you change the size of the file, it's important that you change the value AT de, and you should probably change bc for your own sake, but just changing bc of course won't change anything in memory or let Doors CS know anything new.
Let me just verify:

FileSaveAs is used to create a new file, using the GUI.
FileSave is used to save a file, when you are editing an already existing file.

*Are these the most practical purposes?
**Is there a way, code-wise, to determine which function to call, when ready to save?
Incorrect. Once you're editing an already-existing file, you should not call anything additional. You're responsible for using insertmem/delmem and updating the size word, but should not call anything. FileSave is like FileSaveAs, in that it creates a *new* file, except that it doesn't use the GUI.
Kerm, do you mind if I use your "file open", "file save", and "file new" icon sprites from DocDE7 in one of my own programs.
ACagliano wrote:
Kerm, do you mind if I use your "file open", "file save", and "file new" icon sprites from DocDE7 in one of my own programs.
ACagliano, not at all! Assuming that you're using them with the Doors CS AP system, that is. Wink
A bit off topic, but are there any updates to DCS7.1, Gossamer, or DUSB? Also, I may have asked you before, but is it possible to make a program that can act like the a chat client and go on aim, gmail chat, fb, and send sms messages?
ACagliano wrote:
A bit off topic, but are there any updates to DCS7.1, Gossamer, or DUSB? Also, I may have asked you before, but is it possible to make a program that can act like the a chat client and go on aim, gmail chat, fb, and send sms messages?
Possible, yes, you should make it. Doors CS 7.2 Beta 2 is the latest version, and it has a new dUSB version. Gossamer has not been recently updated.
Question: In the DCS functions GUIRByteInt and GUIRWordInt, what value to I read to see what the current value of the spinner is.
ACagliano wrote:
Question: In the DCS functions GUIRByteInt and GUIRWordInt, what value to I read to see what the current value of the spinner is.
Assuming that you already understand how to use GUIFindFirst, GUIFindThis, and GUIFindNext to search through the GUI stack, you need to offset 3 bytes from the beginning of the element's pointer to pass the size and type storage, then as per (for example) the wiki page on GUIRByteInt, you skip two bytes to get to the initial (actual) value. It's the same for GUIRWordInt, although the value you end up at is two bytes, not one.
I was wondering, in programs where you need to consistently call the GUI Mouse, can you just put the ld hl,0 and call GUIMouse in a subroutine and just jp to it whenever? Since it acts as a jp itself, it just be a clean navigation.
ACagliano wrote:
I was wondering, in programs where you need to consistently call the GUI Mouse, can you just put the ld hl,0 and call GUIMouse in a subroutine and just jp to it whenever? Since it acts as a jp itself, it just be a clean navigation.
I see no reason at all not to do that. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
ACagliano wrote:
I see no reason at all not to do that. Smile

Based on the double negative Smile, I'm assuming that means I can. lol. jk. Thanks.

Edit: Sorry to keep pestering you with this stuff, but it's my first time doing heavy usage of that... what does "group" mean in the GUIRRadio and GUIRCheckBox.
Yes, you can, and indeed should to save some space! Please continue asking questions; I can't know what's unclear if you don't ask, and I want people to create awesome GUI programs. You're of course welcome to (please) edit the DCS wiki with anything new you learn that you think other people should know and is missing or poorly explained. For GUIRRadio, group defines which radio buttons get un-selected when any radio button gets selected. For example:

Code:
My favorite calc is...
( ) TI-83+
( ) TI-84+
( ) Casio Prizm

My gender is...
( ) Male
( ) Female
( ) Other
( ) Robot

The first three radio buttons would be in Group 0, and the last four in Group 1. You want "Robot" to get unselected when you select "Male", but you don't want "TI-84+" to get unselected when you choose "Male". Makes sense?

Also, it's more or less meaningless for checkboxes. I usually put each one in a separate group, but it doesn't change any functionality at this point.
Kool. Suddenly the cryptic becomes less cryptic. Thanks.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours