In order to take a screen shot of the prizm you need to go into the link menu on the prizm. Once there press F6. You should get a screen that looks like this:

Press F2 to set it Bitmap so that you can read the images on your computer. Now whenever you want to take an image on your prizm press shift+7. The disadvantage to this is that it only allows you to store 20 screen caps at a time.

In order to retrieve the images, plug your prizm into your computer and select USB Flash. Once your prizm is loaded onto your computer, click on the folder labled Capt.
[img]

You will find your .bmp files waiting for you.
What a great guide! I had no idea you could do this, thanks for sharing. Smile The only downside is that I don't think it would work from C programs, although I bet one of the getkey calls might work with it. I'll have to look into that...
KermMartian wrote:
What a great guide! I had no idea you could do this, thanks for sharing. Smile The only downside is that I don't think it would work from C programs, although I bet one of the getkey calls might work with it. I'll have to look into that...

It indeed does not work in C programs, at least ones that don't use purely homescreen/standard getkey routines. For BASIC programs, however, it is quite useful.

And, nice job on the visual walk through, Oweng Smile a lot of people will likely refer to this from now on to figure out how to use the screen capture feature. I know it took me at least 1 hour the first time I was trying to figure it out Laughing
Ashbad wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

It indeed does not work in C programs, at least ones that don't use purely homescreen/standard getkey routines. For BASIC programs, however, it is quite useful.

And, nice job on the visual walk through, Oweng Smile a lot of people will likely refer to this from now on to figure out how to use the screen capture feature. I know it took me at least 1 hour the first time I was trying to figure it out 0x5

Yeah, I thought it was like the memory key on one of those old 4 function calcs, but I figured it out thanks to the manual. Thanks for the compliments.
KermMartian wrote:

I have found a method that works on C programs. Use the Screen Receive program on the CD that came with the Prizm. Worked great on GoL, Minesweeper, Obliterate.
Oweng4000 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

I have found a method that works on C programs. Use the Screen Receive program on the CD that came with the Prizm. Worked great on GoL, Minesweeper, Obliterate.

Really? Confused It worked horribly for PrizmCity, only transferring what was on the screen for about 10% of the program's run.
Screen capture does work for C programs if they use the OS getkey() call. Insight for example makes use of this and allows you to take a screen capture at any time. And for screen capture to work properly I believe the screen needs to be refreshed on a regular basis. If you try to redraw the VRAM contents more than 20 times a second the DMAC becomes overloaded and cannot be used for screen receive properly.
KermMartian wrote:
Despite the screenshots I've posted, you didn't know you could take screenshots?
merthsoft wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Despite the screenshots I've posted, you didn't know you could take screenshots?
Nope, I assumed that you, like me, have been taking screenshots with the Manager emulator. I didn't know you could directly take screenshots from a real hardware Prizm. Smile
Oh, oops, I didn't realize this was actually on the calc, my bad. This is really neat.
z80man wrote:
Screen capture does work for C programs if they use the OS getkey() call. Insight for example makes use of this and allows you to take a screen capture at any time. And for screen capture to work properly I believe the screen needs to be refreshed on a regular basis. If you try to redraw the VRAM contents more than 20 times a second the DMAC becomes overloaded and cannot be used for screen receive properly.

That makes total sense then Smile PrizmCity hasn't been tested for framerate, but in most cases it loops very fast before rendering (likely at or slightly above 20 FPS) so that could be the case. I could then just make a screenshot build to accompany each real build that I can use to show things off via the manager.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours