The community should get together and make a TI-BASIC interpreter for Prizm so that things can be easily ported over Very Happy
I agree. If I knew anything about the prizm I would help, but I don't
Sarah wrote:
A TI-BASIC interpreter for Prizm so that things can be easily ported over Very Happy

Might as well go make a whole emulator while you're at it; the BASIC interpreter revolves around half of the OS, so it wouldn't be an easy task.
Last time I checked, making half of something was easier than a whole D<
Exactly what Ashbad said. The TI-Basic interpreter on TI calcs uses everything the OS has to offer: variables, the VAT, parsing, floating point math, etc. That said, it wouldn't be the worse thing in the world to make a language that is more like TI-Perl, but implementing it exactly (including the quirks) would be a pain.
Sarah wrote:

Indeed, but making half of something is still a lot if the whole thing is monstrously large Smile
Well, you would have to look at the entire project as a whole. There is a lot of factors that need to be thought out that may or may not pique the community's interest. So, if you can organize, I commend you and fully support you. Otherwise, this may be another ambition in the community pool.
Sarah wrote:
When making an emulator, you're not actually making the whole OS. You just make something that's capable of running the OS, and then you use the OS that already exists instead of trying to create a new OS.
Wellll, my gut would be to be on the whole-emulator size, but you can actually making some compromises in a TI-BASIC interpreter and not be that bad off, if you think about it. For example, if you just support a 16x8 display area and numeric variables, you can already do math programs with input and output. Of course, the numeric backend is a huge deal, but not as intractable as you might immediately think, perhaps. Nevertheless, I know that there is at least one project to write/port an emulator to the Prizm.
From my own experience an emulator seems easier due to all the complexities associated with the TI-BASIC language. Many of those technical tricks are exploited by many of the great games already out there on ticalc.org. Plus an emulator would allow so much more than a BASIC interpreter.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours