Apparently today is National Coming Out Day. I didn't know such a day existed until I checked Facebook, but it makes me very happy that there is a day for celebrating LGBTQ people and their communities.
Hooray!

/bi myself
Quote:
but it makes me very happy that there is a day for celebrating LGBTQ people and their communities.

I count not agree more. I am straight myself, but the crap and ignorance I have seen against LGBTQ people really does irritate me, good to know they are getting more support Smile
Why National? Are non-heteronormative folks limited by boundaries in some way that heteronormative folks aren't?
No, the whole concept behind this day is to promote the acceptance of the LGBT Community.
Wow, neat. I didn't know something like that existed. FWIW, I thought the little Wikipedia series on LBGTQ flags was pretty neat: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgender_Pride_flag (The rest of them are at the top/bottom as links).
Out of curiosity when did the Q get appended to LGBT since the Q basically means the same as Lesbian & Gay (which in term are identical but are gender specific).

Also figured Queer was a derogatory term. Is this not correct?
From what I heard, Q was for Questioning.
That makes sense.
_player1537 wrote:
From what I heard, Q was for Questioning.

I seem to recall some nonsense about not excluding people who want to be identified as queer, and therefore it is often said to stand for "queer/questioning". I rather like the word, but I don't care one whit either way.
Good luck! Don't forget to tell us how it goes. Hopefully, your dad will be accepting, though I don't really expect that :/
Cathy, are you straight, bi, or lezz? o:
Umm, most likely, bi. To be honest, I don't know yet. Until I transition, I don't think I'll really know for sure.
Bi? o;

Transition?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgender#Transsexual
Sooo are you a natural girl or a natural boy, or what? o-o
Born male.
I see. I thought you were a girl (already? Not sure if that's the correct word for what I thought o-o I guess I just thought you were a girl)

Did you already get your named changed, I'm assuming?

Good for you though :O
Thanks Smile It's much easier to change your name on-line than it is off-line, so, no my name isn't officially changed, though I'd like to get it changed eventually.
Sarah wrote:
I see. I thought you were a girl (already? Not sure if that's the correct word for what I thought o-o I guess I just thought you were a girl)

Terminology time!

Cisman = Identifies as a man, has XY chromosomes ("born male")
Transman = Identifies as a man, has XX chromosomes ("born female")
Ciswoman = Identifies as a woman, has XX chromosomes ("born female")
Transwoman = Identifies as a woman, has XY chromosomes ("born male")

There are many other buckets into which people sort themselves, but these are the most common mutually exclusive ones. I understand and acknowledge that they are not exhaustive. Doubtless someone who does not wish to be in any of these categories will surface after my post, denouncing me for neglecting their particular bin out of sheer malice. Such is gender politics.

Catherine identifies as a woman, and (to my knowledge) has XY chromosomes. Thus, she would best be described as "transwoman" using the above four categories.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours