The Samsung Intensity is so awful that it is....awful.

I was thinking...when I get a new phone, what if I would try to put some type of Linux on it? I know I would have to write my own DE (to compensate for no mouse) and I'd have to write my own drivers.

Would this be a cool idea...or would it fail?

EDIT: here's some info on the Intensity: http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Samsung-Intensity_id3818
It looks like it's running some sort of proprietary OS, nothing like Android that would indicate there are Linux drivers of any sort available for it. I'd tend to say that even if it is possible, it's more than a waste of your time to try.
KermMartian wrote:
It looks like it's running some sort of proprietary OS, nothing like Android that would indicate there are Linux drivers of any sort available for it. I'd tend to say that even if it is possible, it's more than a waste of your time to try.


I am too lazy to actually make my own post so instead I quote people and then don't say anything new.

I may not know much about hardware hacking but I recognize limitations. You'd have a hard time getting it to work. Even if you got it to boot from the MicroSD, you'd have to overcome CPU & RAM limitations; assuming it's low (including any internal storage) since I can't find any documentation.
@Spyro you would have a mouse: The touchscreen. Generally, drivers treat a touchpad as a mouse, and even if they didn't, there's always keyboard-driven DEs like DWM Razz
comicIDIOT wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
It looks like it's running some sort of proprietary OS, nothing like Android that would indicate there are Linux drivers of any sort available for it. I'd tend to say that even if it is possible, it's more than a waste of your time to try.


I am too lazy to actually make my own post so instead I quote people and then don't say anything new.

I may not know much about hardware hacking but I recognize limitations. You'd have a hard time getting it to work. Even if you got it to boot from the MicroSD, you'd have to overcome CPU & RAM limitations; assuming it's low (including any internal storage) since I can't find any documentation.


It's got at least 33 MB of internal storage. 11.7 MB RAM.

EDIT:
willrandship wrote:
@Spyro you would have a mouse: The touchscreen. Generally, drivers treat a touchpad as a mouse, and even if they didn't, there's always keyboard-driven DEs like DWM Razz
There's no touchscreen on this.
Oh. Nvm then. But, there's DEs available that don't need a mouse. You could even use the Gnome Accessibility option to use buttons on the keyboard as a mouse.
It doesn't really matter what DEs can do - you won't be able to get your phone to run Linux so it doesn't matter.
false, the Intensity is not bad, I have had one for the past 2 years and it has not been at all a pain or annoyance. if linux did ever come to it, I probably wouldn't bother..
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement