souvik1997 wrote:
For math, I would still use the 83+/84+ series or the 89 because the Nspire interface is really confusing to me. Sad
It's not just you; it's supposed to be "textbook-style", but I don't really feel that it's appropriate for a graphing calculator. I don't want my calculator pretending to be a textbook, personally.
qazz42 wrote:
Quote:
Like I said, you can also have a 84+ inside the Nspire, so it's like having 2 calculators. And I have been using a Nspire (both OS 2 and 3) for a year now and it NEVER crashed on me. I use it every day for school-related stuff and even gaming/programming.

wrong, the 84 keypad is buggy (especially since latest OSs come with *shudder* mathprint) and mine is actually broken from switching between the nspire and TI-84+

I switch a few times a day and it never broke, for a year. Just be careful with your stuff.

I actually prefer the 84+ Keypad to the real 84+ because I can reset in the back button when I freeze it with an infinite loop or something like that. On the 84+, I have to do the batteries thing AND I get RAM Clear. On the 84+ Keypad this doesn't happen Smile
I would guess that the large majority of z80 calculator coders use emulators for debugging and testing, which are even faster and let you examine state. Speaking of which, I need to add wabbitemu and PindurTI to that guide. Anyway, I think we're not doing too much on the Nspire argument that's not rehashing all our old points from the Abandon topic. So what else is missing from this guide as it is?
ephan wrote:
qazz42 wrote:
Quote:
Like I said, you can also have a 84+ inside the Nspire, so it's like having 2 calculators. And I have been using a Nspire (both OS 2 and 3) for a year now and it NEVER crashed on me. I use it every day for school-related stuff and even gaming/programming.

wrong, the 84 keypad is buggy (especially since latest OSs come with *shudder* mathprint) and mine is actually broken from switching between the nspire and TI-84+

I switch a few times a day and it never broke, for a year. Just be careful with your stuff.

I actually prefer the 84+ Keypad to the real 84+ because I can reset in the back button when I freeze it with an infinite loop or something like that. On the 84+, I have to do the batteries thing AND I get RAM Clear. On the 84+ Keypad this doesn't happen Smile

the TI-84+ keypad is also buggy in software too, for example, you cant run many applications (such as TI-Boy, Emu8x, msd8x, etc etc) without forcing you to reset. In fact, I remember I had to come to cemetech in the first place because I had to reinstall the OS on my nspire because the 84 keypad had a problem with DCS....
For emulating TI-Z80 calcs, there's also TiLem Smile
I personally like the TI-89 Titanium the best. I really don't care if it's slow; at least it's capabilities aren't locked. I really don't think that you need to "jailbreak" a calculator to make it work better.

68K > Nspire
Yeah, but the 68k community is pretty much dead and doesn't show much potential for the future. The Prizm, being a relatively new calculator, doesn't have as many programmers as the z80 calculators but the community is still growing.
mobutu4 wrote:
I personally like the TI-89 Titanium the best. I really don't care if it's slow; at least it's capabilities aren't locked. I really don't think that you need to "jailbreak" a calculator to make it work better.

68K > Nspire
As far as features for an engineering calculator, the 68k series beats the Nspire CAS hands-down. As souvik said, the community is unfortunately quite dead these days, so calculators like the Prizm and the 83+/84+ are a better bet for continued releases. Lionel: Ah yes, always an excellent choice! Qazz: Yup, and you helped me to track down several DCS + Nspire problems; thanks again for that.
So, is DoorsCS gonna be released for the Priz or what? Because if it is-and it would look STUPENDUS in color-I might buy one. Otherwise, nah. DCS7 is my calc.
It will, in a similar form, pending Kerm is ever able to get destressed enough to work on it and finish his other projects. Poor guy has tons to do and little time to do it in.
tifreak8x wrote:
...pending Kerm is ever able to get destressed enough to work on it and finish his other projects. Poor guy has tons to do and little time to do it in.

Yeah, poor guy. Maybe he should pass the script over here and let me do it Smile .
It's not that easy, he has to rebuild it from scratch, since on the 83+/84+ it's in z80 asm, but for the Prizm, it'd have to be done in C and compiled.
tifreak8x wrote:
It will, in a similar form...

Like I said, it would be great. Just a note, though, try to avoid making it look like Android Very Happy .

tifreak8x wrote:
It's not that easy, he has to rebuild it from scratch, since on the 83+/84+ it's in z80 asm, but for the Prizm, it'd have to be done in C and compiled.

Hmm...

#1. OK, thats gotta be hard.

#2. Are you selling a TI-84+?
Doors CS is planned for an eventual Prizm release indeed. However, for now you're better off with the up-and-coming Walnut shell for the Prizm, since it has some progress compared with my zero progress. and yes, Caleb is looking to buy a TI-84+SE; I suggested he both explore eBay and ask around here.
CalebHansberry wrote:
#2. Are you selling a TI-84+?

I sadly only have one of each of the 84+ and 84+SE, so I'm not looking to get rid of any. Ebay has a lot of good deals on those calculators, though. Smile
Indeed, I was browsing around and seeing buy-it-now's as low as $70-$80, and probably auction ones ending for less. Although truth be told, the beginning of school is a less than awesome time to get a calculator on eBay; they're more in demand, so prices are slightly higher.
Don't forget Khavi as a "shell" as well Wink Fishbot lost the source (yet again) but is apparently making it open source and has a decent amount of work done on it. It's not really a shell, but it adds more programming languages to the Prizm's arsenal, so it's comparatively exciting Smile
Wasn't / isn't Khavi a project to build a Prizm Java virtual machine? Or am I thinking of something else?
adamac15 wrote:
It's all well and good, but what about people who have an TI-86 (like me)? There's nothing about it in this topic.
No one ever answered this question. Wink
adamac15 wrote:
adamac15 wrote:
It's all well and good, but what about people who have an TI-86 (like me)? There's nothing about it in this topic.
No one ever answered this question. Wink
You're right; my apologies for the oversight. Even though the TI-86 is an excellent calculator, unfortunately it's fallen into such wide disuse and unavailability (very few even to be had on eBay) that it's sadly no longer worth a mention as an option for the general public.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours