I am making a new series on the TI-84+ called A Random Game, or ARG for short. I have since yesterday finished ARG and am currently working on ARG 2. Comments, questions?
What's the game like? Do you have a download link for ARG 1? Do you have any screenshots?
It's just a random game that i decided to do. I have no internet connection at home, so i don't have a download link or screenshots. ARG 1 is short, ARG 2 is a little longer. Then ARG 3 will follow up on ARG 2.
Can you describe it at all? Genre? Text or graphical?
The first one you're just walking with your friend and he/she gets shot. The second one (which, as of now, is done) it gets more into it when you kill a cop and are sentenced to death, but revived after your death happens by a weird guy. Genre, probably action (you might think different if you seen it). Text (don't know how to do graphical stuff yet).
adamac15 wrote:
The first one you're just walking with your friend and he/she gets shot. The second one (which, as of now, is done) it gets more into it when you kill a cop and are sentenced to death, but revived after your death happens by a weird guy. Genre, probably action (you might think different if you seen it). Text (don't know how to do graphical stuff yet).
Aight, a text-based adventure game, then. We should really help you learn graphical TI-BASIC programming one of these days; it would expand your repertoire immensely.
When you say "Text", do you mean
Code:
What do you want to do?
1) Attack
2) Run
3) Explode
?
or do you mean something like tilemapping using Output, like:
Code:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X               X
X               X
X            XXXX
X               X
XXXXX           X
X           0   X
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
And then moving around with arrow keys
I'm pretty sure he means the former, based on looking at his Choice game series.
KermMartian wrote:
Aight, a text-based adventure game, then. We should really help you learn graphical TI-BASIC programming one of these days; it would expand your repertoire immensely.
I would like to learn that, to get away from all text all the time.

_player1537,

Code:
 Where do you go?
1) Straight
2) Left
3) Right

Like that.
Going off of what _Player was saying, I think perhaps you should start with homescreen "graphical" games first, since that's where you have the most experience and comfort thus far, then you can expand to graphscreen games.
Ok, so where would I start with homescreen "graphical" games?
First, you should learn how to use Output() if you haven't already. Then, work on character movement with getKey.
I know of Output(), but I don't know about movement with getKey.
well, each key has a number. If you use getkey and a key is pressed that number is returned in Ans. In the first row, the first digit of the number is 1, in the second 2 etc. And in the first culmn the second digit is 1, in the second culmn it is 2 etc. left is 24, up is 25, right is 26 and down is 34.
Hope you get what I mean
As an example, you can use a quick program like this to see what each key is. Then when you want to see if someone has hit that key, you can just compare the value of GetKey (store it to a variable) to whatever key value the first code block returns.
Code:
Repeat Ans
GetKey
End
Disp Ans
And this will check if you hit [2nd] (Keycode 21) or [Alpha] (Keycode 31)
Code:
Repeat Ans
GetKey->K
End
If K=21
Disp "You hit Enter
If K=31
Disp "You hit Alpha
I was going to point Adamac to my TI-BASIC tutorial from about a decade ago, but I'm disappointed to see that it doesn't seem to mention getKey. Sad
Is there any other tutorials on getKey?
adamac15 wrote:
Is there any other tutorials on getKey?
There's not a whole lot to learn about it other than the keycode, tbh. You call getKey, it returns a number, that number corresponds to any key being pressed, or 0 for no keys pressed.
Ok i get it, for now. Now what do i need to learn?
You should also read this to see how to make maps on the homescreen.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours